- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Cardiology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 304626, 9 pages
Non-Pharmacological Therapy for Atrial Fibrillation: Managing the Left Atrial Appendage
Department of Cardiology, The Prince Charles Hospital, Rode Road, Chermside, QLD 4032, Australia
Received 6 January 2012; Revised 12 March 2012; Accepted 12 March 2012
Academic Editor: P. Holvoet
Copyright © 2012 Sushil Allen Luis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. L. Roger, A. S. Go, D. M. Lloyd-Jones, et al., “Heart disease and stroke statistics—2011 update: a report from the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 123, pp. e18–e209, 2011.
- D. M. Lloyd-Jones, T. J. Wang, E. P. Leip et al., “Lifetime risk for development of atrial fibrillation: the Framingham heart study,” Circulation, vol. 110, pp. 1042–1046, 2004.
- C. Steger, A. Pratter, M. Martinek-Bregel et al., “Stroke patients with atrial fibrillation have a worse prognosis than patients without: data from the Austrian stroke registry,” European Heart Journal, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 1734–1740, 2004.
- P. A. Wolf, R. D. Abbott, and W. B. Kannel, “Atrial fibrillation as an independent risk factor for stroke: the Framingham study,” Stroke, vol. 22, pp. 983–988, 1991.
- A. S. Go, “The epidemiology of atrial fibrillation in elderly persons: the tip of the iceberg,” The American Journal of Geriatric Cardiology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 56–61, 2005.
- EAFT (European Atrial Fibrillation Trial) Study Group, “Secondary prevention in non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation after transient ischaemic attack or minor stroke,” The Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8882, pp. 1255–1262, 1993.
- A. L. Waldo, R. C. Becker, V. F. Tapson, and K. J. Colgan, “Hospitalized patients with atrial fibrillation and a high risk of stroke are not being provided with adequate anticoagulation,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1729–1736, 2005.
- S. J. Connolly, J. Eikelboom, C. Joyner et al., “Apixaban in patients with atrial fibrillation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 364, no. 9, pp. 806–817, 2011.
- S. J. Connolly, M. D. Ezekowitz, S. Yusuf et al., “Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 12, pp. 1139–1151, 2009.
- M. T. Brown and J. K. Bussell, “Medication adherence: WHO cares?” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 304–314, 2011.
- J. Langman, Medizinische Embryologie, Die Normale Menschliche Entwicklung und Ihre Fehlbildungen, Georg Thieme, Stuttgart, Germany, 3rd edition, 1974.
- J. L. Blackshear and J. A. Odell, “Appendage obliteration to reduce stroke in cardiac surgical patients with atrial fibrillation,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 755–759, 1996.
- “Risk factors for stroke and efficacy of antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation: analysis of pooled data from five randomized controlled trials,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 154, no. 13, pp. 1449–1457, 1994.
- J. L. Madden, “Resection of the left auricular appendix: a prophylaxis for recurrent arterial emboli,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 140, no. 9, pp. 769–772, 1949.
- F. C. Leonard and M. A. Cogan, “Failure of ligation of the left auricular appendage in the prevention of recurrent embolism,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 246, no. 19, pp. 733–735, 1952.
- P. M. McCarthy, A. M. Gillinov, L. Castle, M. Chung, and D. Cosgrove III, “The Cox-Maze procedure: the Cleveland Clinic experience,” Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2000.
- S. M. Prasad, H. S. Maniar, C. J. Camillo et al., “The Cox-Maze III procedure for atrial fibrillation: long-term efficacy in patients undergoing lone versus concomitant procedures,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 1822–1828, 2003.
- E. Raanani, A. Albage, T. E. David, T. M. Yau, and S. Armstrong, “The efficacy of the Cox/maze procedure combined with mitral valve surgery: a matched control study,” European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 438–442, 2001.
- H. V. Schaff, J. A. Dearani, R. C. Daly, T. A. Orszulak, and G. K. Danielson, “Cox-Maze procedure for atrial fibrillation: Mayo Clinic experience,” Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 30–37, 2000.
- J. L. Cox, N. Ad, T. Palazzo, and H. V. Schaff, “Impact of the maze procedure on the stroke rate in patients with atrial fibrillation,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 833–840, 1999.
- J. S. Healey, E. Crystal, A. Lamy et al., “Left atrial appendage occlusion study (LAAOS): results of a randomized controlled pilot study of left atrial appendage occlusion during coronary bypass surgery in patients at risk for stroke,” American Heart Journal, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 288–293, 2005.
- A. S. Kanderian, A. M. Gillinov, G. B. Pettersson, E. Blackstone, and A. L. Klein, “Success of surgical left atrial appendage closure: assessment by transesophageal echocardiography,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 924–929, 2008.
- E. S. Katz, T. Tsiamtsiouris, R. M. Applebaum, A. Schwartzbard, P. A. Tunick, and I. Kronzon, “Surgical left atrial appendage ligation is frequently incomplete: a transesophageal echocardiographic study,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 468–471, 2000.
- S. P. Salzberg, A. Plass, M. Y. Emmert et al., “Left atrial appendage clip occlusion: early clinical results,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 1269–1274, 2010.
- G. Ailawadi, M. W. Gerdisch, R. L. Harvey et al., “Exclusion of the left atrial appendage with a novel device: early results of a multicenter trial,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 142, no. 5, pp. 1002–1009, 2011.
- B. F. Gage, A. D. Waterman, W. Shannon, M. Boechler, M. W. Rich, and M. J. Radford, “Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 22, pp. 2864–2870, 2001.
- R. Hernandez-Estefania, B. L. Praschker, G. Bastarrika, and G. Rabago, “Left atrial appendage occlusion by invagination and double suture technique,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 134–136, 2012.
- B. Meier, I. Palacios, S. Windecker et al., “Transcatheter left atrial appendage occlusion with AMPLATZER devices to obviate anticoagulation in patients with atrial fibrillation,” Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 417–422, 2003.
- T. Nakai, M. D. Lesh, E. P. Gerstenfeld, R. Virmani, R. Jones, and R. J. Lee, “Percutaneous left atrial appendage occlusion (PLAATO) for preventing cardioembolism: first experience in canine model,” Circulation, vol. 105, no. 18, pp. 2217–2222, 2002.
- S. H. Ostermayer, M. Reisman, P. H. Kramer et al., “Percutaneous left atrial appendage transcatheter occlusion (PLAATO system) to prevent stroke in high-risk patients with non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation: results from the international multi-center feasibility trials,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2005.
- P. C. Block, S. Burstein, P. N. Casale et al., “Percutaneous left atrial appendage occlusion for patients in atrial fibrillation suboptimal for warfarin therapy: 5-year results of the PLAATO (percutaneous left atrial appendage transcatheter occlusion) study,” JACC. Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 594–600, 2009.
- D. R. Holmes, V. Y. Reddy, Z. G. Turi et al., “Percutaneous closure of the left atrial appendage versus warfarin therapy for prevention of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation: a randomised non-inferiority trial,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9689, pp. 534–542, 2009.
- V. Y. Reddy, D. Holmes, S. K. Doshi, P. Neuzil, and S. Kar, “Safety of percutaneous left atrial appendage closure: results from the watchman left atrial appendage system for embolic protection in patients with AF (PROTECT AF) clinical trial and the continued access registry,” Circulation, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 417–424, 2011.
- V. Y. Reddy, P. Neuzil, G. Schuler, S. Möbius-Winkler, P. Sick, and H. Sievert, “Laa closure using the watchman device in patients with contraindications to warfarin: preliminary results from the “asa plavix registry” (asap),” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 57, no. 14, p. E63, 2011.
- J. W. Park, A. Bethencourt, H. Sievert et al., “Left atrial appendage closure with AMPLATZER cardiac plug in atrial fibrillation: initial European experience,” Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 700–706, 2011.
- D. Muller, “Coherex WaveCrest: device design and human results,” in Proceedings of the Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics, 2011.
- R. J. Lee, K. Bartus, and S. J. Yakubov, “Catheter-based left atrial appendage (LAA) ligation for the prevention of embolic events arising from the LAA: initial experience in a canine model,” Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 224–229, 2010.
- L. Ganjehei, A. Massumi, M. Razavi, and A. Rasekh, “Stroke prevention in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation,” Texas Heart Institute Journal, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 350–352, 2011.
- R. J. Lee, K. Bartus, J. Bednarek et al., “Long-term efficacy of a percutaneous approach for LAA ligation in patients with atrial fibrillation,” Heart Rhythm, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. S379–S380, 2011.
- J. Camm, P. Kirchhof, G.Y. Lip et al., “Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the task force for the management of atrial fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC),” European Heart Journal, vol. 31, no. 19, pp. 2369–2429, 2010.
- L. S. Wann, A. B. Curtis, C. T. January et al., “2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused update on the management of patients with atrial fibrillation (Updating the 2006 Guideline),” Heart Rhythm, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 157–176, 2011.
- R. O. Bonow, B. A. Carabello, D. P. Faxon, et al., “ACC/AHA 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (writing committee to revise the 1998 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease) developed in collaboration with the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists endorsed by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 48, pp. e1–e148.