- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Cardiology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 524961, 5 pages
Management of Advanced Heart Failure in the Elderly: Ethics, Economics, and Resource Allocation in the Technological Era
1Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Section of Palliative Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
2Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
3Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
4Palliative Medicine, Ross Heart Hospital, Wexner Medical Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Received 14 October 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Hans R. Brunner
Copyright © 2012 Keith M. Swetz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. L. Roger, A. S. Go, D. M. Lloyd-Jones, et al., “Heart disease and stroke statistics—2011 update: a report from the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. e18–e209, 2011.
- J. G. Rogers, R. R. Bostic, K. B. Tong, et al., “Cost-effectiveness analysis of continuous flow left ventricular assist devices as destination therapy,” Circulation: Heart Failure, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2012.
- M. S. Slaughter, J. G. Rogers, C. A. Milano et al., “Advanced heart failure treated with continuous-flow left ventricular assist device,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 23, pp. 2241–2251, 2009.
- C. A. Vitale, R. Chandekar, P. E. Rodgers, et al., “A call for guidance in the use of left ventricular assist devices in older adults,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 145–150, 2012.
- E. A. Rose, A. C. Gelijns, A. J. Moskowitz et al., “Long-term use of a left ventricular assist device for end-stage heart failure,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 20, pp. 1435–1443, 2001.
- J. C. Fang, “Rise of the machines—left ventricular assist devices as permanent therapy for advanced heart failure,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 23, pp. 2282–2285, 2009.
- J. K. Kirklin, D. C. Naftel, R. L. Kormos et al., “Third INTERMACS annual report: the evolution of destination therapy in the United States,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 115–123, 2011.
- D. C. Hadorn, “Setting health care priorities in Oregon. Cost-effectiveness meets the Rule of Rescue,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 265, no. 17, pp. 2218–2225, 1991.
- T. Hope, J. Reynolds, and S. Griffiths, “Rationing decisions: integrating cost-effectiveness with other values,” in Medicine and Social Justice: Essays on the Distribution of Health Care, R. Rhodes, M. Battin, and A. Silvers, Eds., pp. 144–155, Oxford University Press, New York, NY,v USA, 2002.
- J. R. Fitzpatrick and Y. J. Woo, “Mechanical circulatory assistance—an evolving therapy -,” Circulation Journal, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2011.
- A. Kilic, D. Yuh, A. S. Shah, et al., “Ventricular assist device implantation in the elderly: nationwide outcomes,” The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 31, no. 4, supplement, pp. S84–S85, 2012.
- H. J. Ross, “Accountability for reasonableness' as an ethical framework for scarce resource allocation,” in Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, Prague, Czech Republic.
- L. W. Miller, K. E. Nelson, R. R. Bostic, K. Tong, M. S. Slaughter, and J. W. Long, “Hospital costs for left ventricular assist devices for destination therapy: lower costs for implantation in the post-rematch era,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 778–784, 2006.
- M. C. Oz, A. C. Gelijns, L. Miller et al., “Left ventricular assist devices as permanent heart failure therapy: the price of progress,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 238, no. 4, pp. 577–585, 2003.
- A. Williams, “Economics of coronary artery bypass grafting,” British Medical Journal, vol. 291, no. 6491, pp. 326–329, 1985.
- J. Harris, “QALYfying the value of life,” Journal of Medical Ethics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 117–123, 1987.
- J. La Puma and E. F. Lawlor, “Quality-adjusted life-years,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 263, no. 21, pp. 2917–2921, 1990.
- A. Smith, “Qualms about QALYs,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8542, pp. 1134–1136, 1987.
- D. S. Grimes, “Rationing health care,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8533, pp. 615–616, 1987.
- J. G. Allen, E. S. Weiss, J. M. Schaffer et al., “Quality of life and functional status in patients surviving 12 months after left ventricular assist device implantation,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 278–285, 2010.
- M. K. Song, “Shared decision making in the aging population—how to help patient make decision right for them,” in Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, Prague, Czech Republic, 2012.
- K. Swetz, A. Ottenberg, K. Cook, et al., “The choice for patients “without a Choice”: interviews with patients who received a left ventricular assist device as destination therapy,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 18, no. 8S, p. S43, 2012.
- S. J. Goodlin, “Palliative care in congestive heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 386–396, 2009.
- K. M. Swetz, M. R. Freeman, O. F. Abouezzeddine et al., “Palliative Medicine consultation for preparedness planning in patients receiving left ventricular assist devices as destination therapy,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 493–500, 2011.
- F. N. F. Factora, S. Bustamante, A. Spiotta, and R. Avitsian, “Intracranial hemorrhage surgery on patients on mechanical circulatory support: a case series,” Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 30–34, 2011.
- J. M. Schaffer, J. G. Allen, E. S. Weiss et al., “Infectious complications after pulsatile-flow and continuous-flow left ventricular assist device implantation,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 164–174, 2011.
- J. N. Kirkpatrick, A. V. Fields, and V. A. Ferrari, “Medical ethics and the art of cardiovascular medicine,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9740, pp. 508–509, 2010.
- T. R. Fried, E. H. Bradley, V. R. Towle, and H. Allore, “Understanding the treatment preferences of seriously ill patients,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 14, pp. 1061–1066, 2002.
- E. J. Stanek, M. B. Oates, W. F. McGhan, D. Denofrio, and E. Loh, “Preferences for treatment outcomes in patients with heart failure: symptoms versus suvival,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 225–232, 2000.
- E. F. Lewis, P. A. Johnson, W. Johnson, C. Collins, L. Griffin, and L. W. Stevenson, “Preferences for quality of life or survival expressed by patients with heart failure,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1016–1024, 2001.
- H. M. Krumholz, R. S. Phillips, M. B. Hamel et al., “Resuscitation preferences among patients with severe congestive heart failure: results from the SUPPORT project,” Circulation, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 648–655, 1998.
- J. P. Ruger, Health and Social Justice, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- N. Daniels and J. Sabin, “Limits to health care: fair procedures, democratic deliberation, and the legitimacy problem for insurers,” Philosophy and Public Affairs, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 303–350, 1997.
- M. R. Freeman, “Psychosocial assessment and discharge planning,” in Mechanical Circulatory Support: Principles and Applications, D. Joyce, L. Joyce, and M. Locke, Eds., Mc-Graw Hill, 2011.