- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Cardiology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 892564, 7 pages
Association of Self-Reported Weight Change and Quality of Life, and Exercise and Weight Management Behaviors Among Adults with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The SHIELD Study
1AstraZeneca LP, Wilmington, DE 19850-5437, USA
2Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, Monkton, MD 21111-0543, USA
3St. Luke's Primary Care South, Overland Park, KS 66213, USA
Received 2 December 2011; Accepted 17 February 2012
Academic Editor: Veselin Mitrovic
Copyright © 2012 Susan Grandy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. H. Mokdad, B. A. Bowman, E. S. Ford, F. Vinicor, J. S. Marks, and J. P. Koplan, “The continuing epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 10, pp. 1195–1200, 2001.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diabetes statistics,” http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics.
- International Diabetes Federation., Diabetes Atlas, www.diabetesatlas.org/.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, “Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: the evidence report,” type 98-4083, NIH Publication, Bethesda, Md, USA, 1998.
- World Health Organization, “Global strategy on diet, physical activity, and health,” http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/facts.
- National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity, “Overweight, obesity, and health risk,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 160, no. 7, pp. 898–904, 2000.
- Centers for Disease Control, Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity Among Adults: United States. 2003-2004http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/hestats/overweight/overwght_adult_03.htm.
- P. Hossain, B. Kawar, and M. El Nahas, “Obesity and diabetes in the developing world-a growing challenge,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 3, pp. 213–215, 2007.
- Centers for Disease Control, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity among adults with diagnosed diabetes,,” http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5345a2.htm.
- American Diabetes Association, “Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2010,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, supplement 1, pp. S11–S61, 2010.
- A. J. Lee, C. L. Morgan, M. Morrissey, K. U. Wittrup-Jensen, T. Kennedy-Martin, and C. J. Currie, “Evaluation of the association between the EQ-5Dindex (health-related utility) and body mass index (obesity) in hospital-treated people with Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes and with no diagnosed diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1482–1486, 2005.
- W. K. Redekop, M. A. Koopmanschap, R. P. Stolk, G. E. H. M. Rutten, B. H. R. Wolffenbuttel, and L. W. Niessen, “Health-related quality of life and treatment satisfaction in Dutch patients with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 458–463, 2002.
- L. S. Matza, N. Yurgin, K. S. Boye, K. Malley, and J. M. Shorr, “Obese versus non-obese patients with type 2 diabetes: patient-reported outcomes and utility of weight change,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 2051–2062, 2007.
- J. T. Fine, G. A. Colditz, E. H. Coakley et al., “A prospective study of weight change and health-related quality of life in women,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 22, pp. 2136–2142, 1999.
- L. M. Leon-Munoz, P. Guallar-Castillon, J. R. Banegas et al., “Changes in body weight and health-related quality-of-life in the older adult population,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1385–1391, 2005.
- J. Kaukua, T. Pekkarinen, T. Sane, and P. Mustajoki, “Health-related quality of life in obese outpatients losing weight with very-low-energy diet and behaviour modification-A 2-y follow-up study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1233–1241, 2003.
- B. Blissmer, D. Riebe, G. Dye, L. Ruggiero, G. Greene, and M. Caldwell, “Health-related quality of life following a clinical weight loss intervention among overweight and obese adults: intervention and 24 month follow-up effects,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 4, p. 43, 2006.
- G. P. Samsa, R. L. Kolotkin, G. R. Williams, M. H. Nguyen, and C. M. Mendel, “Effect of moderate weight loss on health-related quality of life: an analysis of combined data from 4 randomized trials of sibutramine vs placebo,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 875–883, 2001.
- J. K. Kaukua, T. A. Pekkarinen, and A. M. Rissanen, “Health-related quality of life in a randomised placebo-controlled trial of sibutramine in obese patients with type II diabetes,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 600–605, 2004.
- H. E. Bays, R. H. Chapman, and S. Grandy, “The relationship of body mass index to diabetes mellitus, hypertension and dyslipidaemia: comparison of data from two national surveys,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 737–747, 2007.
- H. E. Bays, D. D. Bazata, N. G. Clark et al., “Prevalence of self-reported diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and associated risk factors in a national survey in the US population: SHIELD (Study to Help Improve Early evaluation and management of risk factors Leading to Diabetes),” BMC Public Health, vol. 7, p. 277, 2007.
- US Census Bureau, Annual Supplement to the Current Population Survey: Census Bureau Resident Population Estimates of the United States, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- C. L. Craig, A. L. Marshall, M. Sjöström et al., “International physical activity questionnaire: 12-Country reliability and validity,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1381–1395, 2003.