- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 313518, 13 pages
An Improved Model for Headway-Based Bus Service Unreliability Prevention with Vehicle Load Capacity Constraint at Bus Stops
1School of Information Science and Engineering, Central South University, Changsha 410083, China
2School of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Central South University, Changsha 410075, China
Received 29 September 2012; Revised 22 November 2012; Accepted 27 November 2012
Academic Editor: Wuhong Wang
Copyright © 2012 Weiya Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Xu, A. Ceder, Z. Gao, and W. Guan, “Mass transit systems of Beijing: governance evolution and analysis,” Transportation, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 709–729, 2010.
- Y. Yin, W. H. K. Lam, and M. A. Miller, “A simulation-based reliability assessment approach for congested transit network,” Journal of Advanced Transportation, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 27–44, 2003.
- C. F. Daganzo and J. Pilachowski, “Reducing bunching with bus-to-bus cooperation,” Transportation Research B, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 267–277, 2011.
- P. I. Welding, “The instability of a close-interval service,” Operation Research Quarterly, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 133–148, 1957.
- M. H. Abkowitz, R. Slavin, L. Waksman, and N. W. Englisher, Transit Service Reliability, United States Department of Transportation, Washington, DC, USA, 1978.
- M. D. Hickman, “An analytic stochastic model for the transit vehicle holding problem,” Transportation Science, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 215–237, 2001.
- M. H. Abkowitz and I. Enelstin, “Factors affecting run time on transit routes,” Transportation Research A, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 1983.
- L. C. Cham, Understanding Bus Service Reliability: A Practical Framework Using AVL/APC Data, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 2006.
- J. G. Strathman, T. J. Kimple, and S. Callas, Headway Deviation EffectS on BuS PaSSenger LoadS: AnalySiS of Tri-Met’S Archived AVL-APC Data, Portland State University, Portland, Ore, USA, 2003.
- Z. R. Peng, E. D. Lynde, and W. Y. Chen, Improving Service Restoration Using Automatic Vehicle Location,, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wis, USA, 2008.
- P. G. Furth, B. J. Hemily, H. J. Muller, and J. G. Strathman, Uses of Archived AVL-APC Data to Improve Transit Performance and Management: Review and Potential, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- A. Shalaby and A. Farhan, “Prediction model of bus arrival and departure times using AVL and APC data,” Journal of Public Transportation, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 41–61, 2004.
- I. E. Moses, A Transit Route Simulator for the Evaluation of Control Strategies Using Automatically Collected Data, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 2005.
- C. A. Pangilinan, N. Wilson, and A. Moore, Bus Supervision Deployment Strategies and the Use of Real-Time AVL for Improved Bus Service Reliability, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- A. M. El-Geneidy, J. Horning, and K. J. Krizer, Analyzing Transit Service Reliability Using Detailed Data from Automatic Vehicular Locator Systems, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- J. G. Strathman, T. J. Kimpel, and K. J. Dueker, “Bus transit operations control: review and an experiment involving Tri-Met’s automated bus dispatch system,” Journal of Public Transportation, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 1–26, 2001.
- A. Sun and M. Hickman, “The holding problem at multiple holding stations,” Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, vol. 600, pp. 339–359, 2008.
- C. F. Daganzo, “A headway-based approach to eliminate bus bunching: systematic analysis and comparisons,” Transportation Research B, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 913–921, 2009.
- Y. Hadas and A. Ceder, “Optimal coordination of public-transit vehicles using operational tactics examined by simulation,” Transportation Research C, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 879–895, 2010.
- W. Y. Chen and Z. Y. Chen, “A simulation model for transit service unreliability prevention based on AVL-APC data,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation (ICMTMA '09), vol. 2, pp. 184–188, April 2009.
- W. Y. Chen and Z. Y. Chen, “A bus-following model for preventing service unreliability on a circular bus route,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Intelligent Computing Technology and Automation (ICICTA '09), vol. 3, pp. 425–428, October 2009.
- W. .H Wang, H. W. Guo, H. Bubb, and K. Ikeuchi, “Numerical simulation and analysis procedure for model-based digital driving dependability in intelligent transport system,” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 891–898, 2011.
- W. H. Wang, Vehicle'S Man-Machine Interaction Safety and Driver ASSiStance, China Communications Press, Beijing, China, 2012.
- KITTELSON & ASSOCIATES, Inc. and KFH Group, Inc., Transit Capacity and Quality of Service Manual, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, USA, 2nd edition, 2003.
- M. A. Turnquist, “Strategies for improving reliability of bus transit service,” Transportation Research Record, vol. 818, pp. 7–13, 1981.
- W. Y. Chen and Z. Y. Chen, “Service reliability analysis of high frequency transit using stochastic simulation,” Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 130–134, 2009.