- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 789140, 11 pages
Distinguishing between Rural and Urban Road Segment Traffic Safety Based on Zero-Inflated Negative Binomial Regression Models
1MOE Key Laboratory for Transportation Complex Systems Theory and Technology, School of Traffic and Transportation, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing 100044, China
2Saint Louis County Highways and Traffic and Public Works, 121 South Meramec Avenue, Saint Louis, MO 63105, China
Received 3 August 2012; Accepted 15 October 2012
Academic Editor: Wuhong Wang
Copyright © 2012 Xuedong Yan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. S. Eberhardt, D. D. Ingram, and D. M. Makuc, Urban and Rural Health Chart-Book. Health, United States, 2001, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md, USA, 2001.
- L. Kmet, P. Brasher, and C. Macarthur, “A small area study of motor vehicle crash fatalities in Alberta, Canada,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 177–182, 2003.
- R. P. Gonzalez, G. R. Cummings, H. A. Phelan, S. Harlin, M. Mulekar, and C. B. Rodning, “Increased rural vehicular mortality rates: roadways with higher speed limits or excessive vehicular speed?” The Journal of Trauma, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1360–1363, 2007.
- L. H. Brown, A. Khanna, and R. C. Hunt, “Rural versus urban motor vehicle crash death rates: 20 Years of FARS data,” Prehospital Emergency Care, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2000.
- D. A. Borgialli, E. M. Hill, R. F. Maio, C. P. Compton, and M. A. Gregor, “Effects of alcohol on the geographic variation of driver fatalities in motor vehicle crashes,” Academic Emergency Medicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2000.
- M. E. Rakauskas, N. J. Ward, and S. G. Gerberich, “Identification of differences between rural and urban safety cultures,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 931–937, 2009.
- M. A. Abdel-Aty and A. E. Radwan, “Modeling traffic accident occurrence and involvement,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 633–642, 2000.
- C. Zwerling, C. Peek-Asa, P. S. Whitten, S. W. Choi, N. L. Sprince, and M. P. Jones, “Fatal motor vehicle crashes in rural and urban areas: decomposing rates into contributing factors,” Injury Prevention, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 24–28, 2005.
- X. Jiang, X. Yan, B. Huang, and S. H. Richards, “Influence of curbs on traffic crash frequency on high-speed roadways,” Traffic Injury Prevention, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 412–421, 2011.
- M. Leff, L. Stallones, T. J. Keefe, R. Rosenblatt, and M. Reeds, “Comparison of urban and rural non-fatal injury: the results of a statewide survey,” Injury Prevention, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 332–337, 2003.
- L. Aarts and I. van Schagen, “Driving speed and the risk of road crashes: a review,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 215–224, 2006.
- C. Y. Chan, B. Huang, X. Yan, and S. Richards, “Effects of asphalt pavement conditions on traffic accidents in tennessee utilizing pavement management system,” in Proceedings of the 88th TRB Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- P. J. Cooper, “The relationship between speeding behaviour (as measured by violation convictions) and crash involvement,” Journal of Safety Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 83–95, 1997.
- N. J. Garber and A. A. Ehrhart, “Effect of speed, flow, and geometric characteristics on crash frequency for two-lane highways,” Transportation Research Record, vol. 1717, pp. 76–83, 2000.
- C. N. Kloeden, A. J. McLean, and G. Glonek, “Reanalysis of travelling speed and the rate of crash involvement in Adelaide South Australia,” Tech. Rep. CR 207, Australian Transport Safety Bureau ATSB, Canberra, Australia, 2002.
- J. Milton and F. Mannering, “The relationship among highway geometrics, traffic-related elements and motor-vehicle accident frequencies,” Transportation, vol. 25, no. 2–4, pp. 395–413, 1998.
- H. Renski, A. J. Khattak, and F. M. Council, “Effect of speed limit increases on crash injury severity: analysis of single-vehicle crashes on North Carolina Interstate highways,” Transportation Research Record, no. 1665, pp. 100–108, 1999.
- S. P. Miaou, “The relationship between truck accidents and geometric design of road sections: poisson versus negative binomial regressions,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 471–482, 1994.
- H. Huang and H. C. Chin, “Modeling road traffic crashes with zero-inflation and site-specific random effects,” Statistical Methods & Applications, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 445–462, 2010.
- V. N. Shankar, F. L. Mannering, and W. Barfield, “Effect of roadway geometrics and environmental factors on rural freeway accident frequencies,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 371–389, 1995.
- A. Vogt and J. Bared, “Accident models for two-lane rural segments and intersections,” Transportation Research Record, vol. 1635, pp. 18–29, 1998.
- J. Carson and F. Mannering, “The effect of ice warning signs on ice-accident frequencies and severities,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 99–109, 2001.
- D. Lord, S. P. Washington, and J. N. Ivan, “Poisson, poisson-gamma and zero-inflated regression models of motor vehicle crashes: balancing statistical fit and theory,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 35–46, 2005.
- D. Fletcher, “Geographic information systems for transportation: a look forward,” in Transportation in the New Millenium: State of the Art and Future Directions, Transportation Research Board, CDROM, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- X. Qiaojun, P. Fuquan, L. Jian, Z. Guoqiang, and W. C. Eidson, “GIS-based traffic safety management for highway intersections,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Transportation and Development Innovative Best Practices (TDIBP '08), pp. 198–203, American Society of Civil Engineers, Beijing, China, April 2008.
- S. Fang, Z. Yang, and Y. Chen, “Design of GIS-based road safety information management system,” Journal of Tongji University, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 629–633, 2006.
- B. Persaud and L. Dzbik, “Accident prediction models for freeways,” Transportation Research Record, vol. 1401, pp. 55–60, 1993.
- B. N. Fildes and S. J. Lee, “The speed review: road environment, behavior, speed limits, enforcement and crashes,” Tech. Rep. CR 127 (FORS) CR 3/93 (RSB), Federal Office of Road Safety and the Road Safety Bureau, Roads and Traffic Authority of New South Wales, New South Wales, Australia, 1993.
- G. Nilsson, Traffic Safety Dimensions and the Power Model to Describe the Effect of Speed on Safety, vol. 221 of Bulletin, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden, 2004.
- A. Das, M. Abdel-Aty, and A. Pande, “Using conditional inference forests to identify the factors affecting crash severity on arterial corridors,” Journal of Safety Research, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 317–327, 2009.
- B. P. Y. Loo, W. S. Cheung, and S. Yao, “The rural-urban divide in road safety: the case of China,” The Open Transportation Journal, vol. 5, pp. 9–20, 2011.
- M. Y. Renwick, G. G. Olsen, and M. S. Tyrrell, “Road fatalities in rural New South Wales. Weighing the causes,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 291–294, 1982.
- J. P. Thouez, M. F. Joly, A. Rannou, Y. Bussiere, and R. Bourbeau, “Geographical variations of motor-vehicle injuries in Quebec, 1983–1988,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 415–421, 1991.
- S. Eiksund, “A geographical perspective on driving attitudes and behaviour among young adults in urban and rural Norway,” Safety Science, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 529–536, 2009.