- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 814069, 13 pages
Pattern Formation in a Cross-Diffusive Ratio-Dependent Predator-Prey Model
1Chengdu Institute of Computer Application, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu 610041, China
2School of Foreign Language, Wenzhou University, Wenzhou 325000, China
3College of Mathematics and Physics, Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications, Chongqing 400065, China
Received 29 September 2012; Accepted 3 November 2012
Academic Editor: Yonghui Xia
Copyright © 2012 Xinze Lian et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Alonso, F. Bartumeus, and J. Catalan, “Mutual interference between predators can give rise to turing spatial patterns,” Ecology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2002.
- R. S. Cantrell and C. Cosner, Spatial Ecology via Reaction-Diffusion Equations, John Wiley & Sons, Indianapolis, Ind, USA, 2003.
- B. Dubey, N. Kumari, and R. K. Upadhyay, “Spatiotemporal pattern formation in a diffusive predator-prey system: an analytical approach,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computing, vol. 31, no. 1-2, pp. 413–432, 2009.
- S. A. Levin, “The problem of pattern and scale in ecology: the Robert H. MacArthur award lecture,” Ecology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1943–1967, 1992.
- R. B. Hoyle, Pattern Formation: An Introduction to Methods, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2006.
- E. A. McGehee and E. Peacock-López, “Turing patterns in a modified Lotka-Volterra model,” Physics Letters A, vol. 342, no. 1-2, pp. 90–98, 2005.
- A. Morozov and S. Petrovskii, “Excitable population dynamics, biological control failure, and spatiotemporal pattern formation in a model ecosystem,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 863–887, 2009.
- J. D. Murray, Mathematical Biology, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- W. Wang, Q.-X. Liu, and Z. Jin, “Spatiotemporal complexity of a ratio-dependent predator-prey system,” Physical Review E, vol. 75, no. 5, Article ID 051913, 2007.
- Y. Huang and O. Diekmann, “Interspecific influence on mobility and Turing instability,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 143–156, 2003.
- S. A. Levin and L. A. Segel, “Hypothesis for origin of planktonic patchiness,” Nature, vol. 259, no. 5545, p. 659, 1976.
- J. D. Murray, “Discussion: turing's theory of morphogenesis—its influence on modelling biological pattern and form,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 117–152, 1990.
- A. M. Turing, “The chemical basis of morphogenesis,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 237, pp. 37–72, 1952.
- L. A. Segel and J. L. Jackson, “Dissipative structure: an explanation and an ecological example,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 545–559, 1972.
- A. Gierer and H. Meinhardt, “A theory of biological pattern formation,” Biological Cybernetics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 1972.
- A. Okubo and S. A. Levin, Diffusion and Ecological Problems: Modern Perspectives, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- W. M. Wang, H. Y. Liu, Y. L. Cai, and Z. Q. Li, “Turing pattern selection in a reaction-diffusion epidemic model,” Chinese Physics B, vol. 20, no. 7, Article ID 074702, 2011.
- W. Wang, Y. Lin, L. Zhang, F. Rao, and Y. Tan, “Complex patterns in a predator-prey model with self and cross-diffusion,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 2006–2015, 2011.
- W. M. Wang, W. J. Wang, Y. Z. Lin, and Y. J. Tan, “Pattern selection in a predation model with self and cross diffusion,” Chinese Physics B, vol. 20, no. 3, Article ID 034702, 2011.
- Y.-H. Fan and W.-T. Li, “Permanence for a delayed discrete ratio-dependent predator-prey system with Holling type functional response,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 299, no. 2, pp. 357–374, 2004.
- X. Liu and L. Huang, “Permanence and periodic solutions for a diffusive ratio-dependent predator-prey system,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 683–691, 2009.
- X. Zeng and Z. Liu, “Nonconstant positive steady states for a ratio-dependent predator-prey system with cross-diffusion,” Nonlinear Analysis, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 372–390, 2010.
- W. Lin, “Spatial pattern formation of a ratio-dependent predator prey model,” Chinese Physics B, vol. 19, no. 9, Article ID 090206, 2010.
- V. N. Biktashev, J. Brindley, A. V. Holden, and M. A. Tsyganov, “Pursuit-evasion predator-prey waves in two spatial dimensions,” Chaos, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 988–994, 2004.
- J. B. Shukla and S. Verma, “Effects of convective and dispersive interactions on the stability of two species,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 593–610, 1981.
- E. H. Kerner, “Further considerations on the statistical mechanics of biological associations,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biophysics, vol. 21, pp. 217–255, 1959.
- N. Shigesada, K. Kawasaki, and E. Teramoto, “Spatial segregation of interacting species,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 83–99, 1979.
- J. Chattopadhyay and P. K. Tapaswi, “Effect of cross-diffusion on pattern formation—a nonlinear analysis,” Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1997.
- B. Dubey, B. Das, and J. Hussain, “A predator-prey interaction model with self and cross-diffusion,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 141, no. 1–3, pp. 67–76, 2001.
- M. Iida, M. Mimura, and H. Ninomiya, “Diffusion, cross-diffusion and competitive interaction,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 617–641, 2006.
- K. Kuto and Y. Yamada, “Multiple coexistence states for a prey-predator system with cross-diffusion,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 315–348, 2004.
- G. Q. Sun, Z. Jin, Q. X. Liu, and L. Li, “Pattern formation induced by cross-diffusion in a predator-prey system,” Chinese Physics B, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3936–3941, 2008.
- V. K. Vanag and I. R. Epstein, “Cross-diffusion and pattern formation in reaction-diffusion systems,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 897–912, 2009.
- W. Ko and K. Ryu, “On a predator-prey system with cross diffusion representing the tendency of predators in the presence of prey species,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 341, no. 2, pp. 1133–1142, 2008.
- W. Ko and K. Ryu, “On a predator-prey system with cross-diffusion representing the tendency of prey to keep away from its predators,” Applied Mathematics Letters, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1177–1183, 2008.
- A. B. Medvinsky, S. V. Petrovskii, I. A. Tikhonova, H. Malchow, and B.-L. Li, “Spatiotemporal complexity of plankton and fish dynamics,” SIAM Review, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 311–370, 2002.
- R. K. Upadhyay, W. Wang, and N. K. Thakur, “Spatiotemporal dynamics in a spatial plankton system,” Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 102–122, 2010.