- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 681641, 9 pages
Spatiotemporal Pattern in a Self- and Cross-Diffusive Predation Model with the Allee Effect
College of Sciences, Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing, Jiangsu 211816, China
Received 16 April 2013; Accepted 12 June 2013
Academic Editor: Qiru Wang
Copyright © 2013 Feng Rao. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Murray, Mathematical Biology, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2003.
- A. J. Lotka, Elements of Physical Biology, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 1925.
- V. Volterra, “Fluctuations in the abundance of a species considered mathematically,” Nature, vol. 118, no. 2972, pp. 558–560, 1926.
- C. S. Holling, “The components of predation as revealed by a study of small-mammal predation of the European pine sawfly,” The Canadian Entomologist, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 293–320, 1959.
- C. S. Holling, “Some characteristics of simple types of predation and parasitism,” The Canadian Entomologist, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 385–398, 1959.
- M. A. Aziz-Alaoui and M. Daher Okiye, “Boundedness and global stability for a predator-prey model with modified Leslie-Gower and Holling-type II schemes,” Applied Mathematics Letters, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1069–1075, 2003.
- R. Xu, M. A. J. Chaplain, and F. A. Davidson, “Periodic solutions for a predator-prey model with Holling-type functional response and time delays,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 637–654, 2005.
- R. Yafia, F. El Adnani, and H. T. Alaoui, “Limit cycle and numerical similations for small and large delays in a predator-prey model with modified Leslie-Gower and Holling-type II schemes,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 2055–2067, 2008.
- S. Zhang, D. Tan, and L. Chen, “Chaos in periodically forced Holling type II predator-prey system with impulsive perturbations,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 367–376, 2006.
- V. Křivan and J. Eisner, “The effect of the Holling type II functional response on apparent competition,” Theoretical Population Biology, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 421–430, 2006.
- W. Ko and K. Ryu, “Qualitative analysis of a predator-prey model with Holling type II functional response incorporating a prey refuge,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 534–550, 2006.
- Y. Pei, L. Chen, Q. Zhang, and C. Li, “Extinction and permanence of one-prey multi-predators of Holling type II function response system with impulsive biological control,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 235, no. 4, pp. 495–503, 2005.
- P. A. Stephens and W. J. Sutherland, “Consequences of the Allee effect for behaviour, ecology and conservation,” Trends in Ecology & Evolution, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 401–405, 1999.
- P. A. Stephens, W. J. Sutherland, and R. P. Freckleton, “What is the Allee effect?” Oikos, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 185–190, 1999.
- F. Courchamp, T. Clutton-Brock, and B. Grenfell, “Inverse density dependence and the Allee effect,” Trends in Ecology & Evolution, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 405–410, 1999.
- W. C. Allee, Animal Aggregations: A Study in General Sociology, AMS Press, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- B. Dennis, “Allee effects: population growth, critical density, and the chance of extinction,” Natural Resource Modeling, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 481–538, 1989.
- M. A. Lewis and P. Kareiva, “Allee Dynamics and the Spread of Invading Organisms,” Theoretical Population Biology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 141–158, 1993.
- M. R. Owen and M. A. Lewis, “How predation can slow, stop or reverse a prey invasion,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 655–684, 2001.
- M.-H. Wang and M. Kot, “Speeds of invasion in a model with strong or weak Allee effects,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 83–97, 2001.
- S. V. Petrovskii, A. Y. Morozov, and E. Venturino, “Allee effect makes possible patchy invasion in a predator-prey system,” Ecology Letters, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 345–352, 2002.
- S.-R. Zhou, Y.-F. Liu, and G. Wang, “The stability of predator-prey systems subject to the Allee effects,” Theoretical Population Biology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2005.
- J. Shi and R. Shivaji, “Persistence in reaction diffusion models with weak Allee effect,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 807–829, 2006.
- A. Morozov, S. Petrovskii, and B.-L. Li, “Spatiotemporal complexity of patchy invasion in a predator-prey system with the Allee effect,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 238, no. 1, pp. 18–35, 2006.
- L. Berec, E. Angulo, and F. Courchamp, “Multiple Allee effects and population management,” Trends in Ecology & Evolution, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 185–191, 2007.
- C. Çelik and O. Duman, “Allee effect in a discrete-time predator-prey system,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1956–1962, 2009.
- J. Zu and M. Mimura, “The impact of Allee effect on a predator-prey system with Holling type II functional response,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 217, no. 7, pp. 3542–3556, 2010.
- E. González-Olivares, H. Meneses-Alcay, B. González-Yañez, J. Mena-Lorca, A. Rojas-Palma, and R. Ramos-Jiliberto, “Multiple stability and uniqueness of the limit cycle in a Gause-type predator-prey model considering the Allee effect on prey,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 2931–2942, 2011.
- J. Wang, J. Shi, and J. Wei, “Predator-prey system with strong Allee effect in prey,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 291–331, 2011.
- J. Wang, J. Shi, and J. Wei, “Dynamics and pattern formation in a diffusive predator-prey system with strong Allee effect in prey,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 251, no. 4-5, pp. 1276–1304, 2011.
- Y. Cai, W. Wang, and J. Wang, “Dynamics of a diffusive predator-prey model with additive Allee effect,” International Journal of Biomathematics, vol. 5, no. 2, 11 pages, 2012.
- W. M. Wang, Y. L. Cai, Y. N. Zhu, and Z. G. Guo, “Allee-effect-induced instability in a reactiondiffusion predator-prey model,” Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2013, Article ID 487810, 10 pages, 2013.
- Y. Cai, W. Liu, Y. Wang, and W. Wang, “Complex dynamics of a diffusive epidemic model with strong Allee effect,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1907–1920, 2013.
- J. B. Shukla and S. Verma, “Effects of convective and dispersive interactions on the stability of two species,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 593–610, 1981.
- V. N. Biktashev, J. Brindley, A. V. Holden, and M. A. Tsyganov, “Pursuit-evasion predator-prey waves in two spatial dimensions,” Chaos, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 988–994, 2004.
- E. H. Kerner, “Further considerations on the statistical mechanics of biological associations,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 21, pp. 217–255, 1959.
- N. Shigesada, K. Kawasaki, and E. Teramoto, “Spatial segregation of interacting species,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 83–99, 1979.
- J. Chattopadhyay, A. K. Sarkar, and P. K. Tapaswi, “Effect of cross-diffusion on a diffusive prey-predator system—a nonlinear analysis,” Journal of Biological Systems, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 159–169, 1996.
- B. Dubey, B. Das, and J. Hussain, “A predator-prey interaction model with self and cross-diffusion,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 141, no. 1-3, pp. 67–76, 2001.
- J. Jorne, “The diffusive Lotka Volterra oscillating system,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 133–139, 1977.
- Y. Lou and W.-M. Ni, “Diffusion, self-diffusion and cross-diffusion,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 79–131, 1996.
- Y. Lou and W.-M. Ni, “Diffusion vs cross-diffusion: an elliptic approach,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 157–190, 1999.
- K. Kuto, “Stability of steady-state solutions to a prey-predator system with cross-diffusion,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 293–314, 2004.
- K. Kuto and Y. Yamada, “Multiple coexistence states for a prey-predator system with cross-diffusion,” Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 315–348, 2004.
- G.-Q. Sun, Z. Jin, Q.-X. Liu, and L. Li, “Pattern formation induced by cross-diffusion in a predator-prey system,” Chinese Physics B, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3936–3941, 2008.
- G.-Q. Sun, Z. Jin, Y.-G. Zhao, Q.-X. Liu, and L. Li, “Spatial pattern in a predator-prey system with both self- and cross-diffusion,” International Journal of Modern Physics C, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 71–84, 2009.
- W. Wang, Y. Lin, L. Zhang, F. Rao, and Y. Tan, “Complex patterns in a predator-prey model with self and cross-diffusion,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 2006–2015, 2011.
- W. M. Wang, Z. G. Guo, R. K. Upadhyay, and Y. Z. Lin, “Pattern formation in a cross-diffusive Holling-Tanner model,” Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2012, Article ID 828219, 12 pages, 2012.
- A. Morozov, S. Petrovskii, and B.-L. Li, “Bifurcations and chaos in a predator-prey system with the Allee effect,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 271, no. 1546, pp. 1407–1414, 2004.
- A. Okubo and S. A. Levin, Diffusion and Ecological Problems: Modern Perspectives, vol. 14 of Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- J. D. Murray, “Discussion: Turing's theory of morphogenesis—its influence on modelling biological pattern and form,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 119–152, 1990.
- A. Munteanu and R. V. Solé, “Pattern formation in noisy self-replicating spots,” International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3679–3685, 2006.
- M. R. Garvie, “Finite-difference schemes for reaction-diffusion equations modeling predator-prey interactions in MATLAB,” Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 931–956, 2007.
- J. E. Pearson, “Complex patterns in a simple system,” Science, vol. 261, no. 5118, pp. 189–192, 1993.
- S. M. Tobias and E. Knobloch, “Breakup of spiral waves into chemical turbulence,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 80, no. 21, pp. 4811–4814, 1998.
- M. Bär and M. Or-Guil, “Alternative scenarios of spiral breakup in a reaction-diffusion model with excitable and oscillatory dynamics,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 1160–1163, 1999.
- B. Sandstede and A. Scheel, “Absolute versus convective instability of spiral waves,” Physical Review E, vol. 62, no. 6, part A, pp. 7708–7714, 2000.
- M. Bär and L. Brusch, “Breakup of spiral waves caused by radial dynamics: eckhaus and finite wavenumber instabilities,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 6, pp. 1–23, 2004.
- F. Xie, D. Xie, and J. N. Weiss, “Inwardly rotating spiral wave breakup in oscillatory reaction-diffusion media,” Physical Review E, vol. 74, no. 2, Article ID 026107, 2006.
- F. Rao and W. Wang, “Dynamics of a Michaelis-Menten-type predation model incorporating a prey refuge with noise and external forces,” Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment, vol. 2012, no. 3, Article ID P03014, 2012.
- J. A. Sherratt, B. T. Eagan, and M. A. Lewis, “Oscillations and chaos behind predator-prey invasion: mathematical artifact or ecological reality?” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 352, no. 1349, pp. 21–38, 1997.
- A. B. Medvinsky, S. V. Petrovskii, I. A. Tikhonova, H. Malchow, and B.-L. Li, “Spatiotemporal complexity of plankton and fish dynamics,” SIAM Review, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 311–370, 2002.