- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 206805, 9 pages
Effectiveness of Variable Message Signs on Driving Behavior Based on a Driving Simulation Experiment
MOE Key Laboratory for Urban Transportation Complex Systems Theory and Technology, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing 100044, China
Received 14 November 2013; Accepted 24 January 2014; Published 13 March 2014
Academic Editor: Wuhong Wang
Copyright © 2014 Xuedong Yan and Jiawei Wu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. He, ITS System Engineering Introduction, Chinese Railway Press, Beijing, China, 2004.
- H. Huang, “Dynamic modeling of urban transportation networks and analysis of its travel behaviors,” Chinese Journal of Management, vol. 2, pp. 18–22, 2005.
- R. H. M. Emmerink, P. Nijkamp, P. Rietveld, and J. N. Van Ommeren, “Variable message signs and radio traffic information: an integrated empirical analysis of drivers' route choice behaviour,” Transportation Research A: Policy and Practice, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 135–153, 1996.
- H. Shang, H. Huang, and Z. Gao, “Design real-time traffic information by cell transmission model,” Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 234–238, 2008.
- J. Jiang and L. Dong, “Characteristics and optimization of traffic flow in a two-off-ramp system,” Acta Physics Sinica, vol. 61, no. 21, Article ID 214503, 2012.
- S. Zhong, H. Ma, L. Zhou, X. Wang, S. Ma, and N. Jia, “Effects of different factors on drivers' guidance compliance behaviors under road condition information shown on VMS,” Transportation Research A: Policy and Practice, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1490–1505, 2012.
- P. W. Bonsall and M. Joint, “Driver compliance with route guidance advice. The evidence and its implications,” in Proceedings of the Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems Conference, vol. 2, pp. 47–59, October 1991.
- Z. Yuanfeng and W. Jianping, “The research on drivers' route choice behavior in the presence of dynamic traffic information,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC '06), pp. 1304–1309, September 2006.
- J. L. Adler, “Investigating the learning effects of route guidance and traffic advisories on route choice behavior,” Transportation Research C: Emerging Technologies, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2000.
- C. Yin and X. Song, “The influence of road users' personal attributes on the cognition of VMS,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Transportation Information and Safety: Multimodal Approach to Sustained Transportation System Development-Information, Technology, Implementation (ICTIS '11), pp. 262–267, July 2011.
- J. Chen, P. Liu, and W. Wang, “Methods for en route parking guidance and information system survey in Nanjing,” Urban Transport of China, vol. 4, pp. 79–83, 2006.
- Y. Mo and K. Yan, “Analysis of the performance of the PGIS in metropolitan area,” Road Traffic and Safety, vol. 5, pp. 33–36, 2007.
- A. Richards and M. McDonald, “Questionnaire surveys to evaluate user response to variable message signs in an urban network,” IET Intelligent Transport Systems, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 177–185, 2007.
- W. Chen and P. J. Paul, “Analysis of a driver en-route guidance compliance and driver learning with ATIS using a travel simulation experiment,” Research Report UCD-ITS-RR-97-12, Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California, Davis, Calif, USA, 1997.
- B. K. Lai and W. Wong, “SP approach toward driver comprehension of message formats on VMS,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 221–227, 2000.
- R. W. Allen, A. C. Stein, T. J. Rosenthal, D. Ziedman, J. F. Torres, and A. Halati, “Human factors simulation investigation of driver route diversion and alternate route selection using in-vehicle navigation systems,” in Proceedings of the Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems Conference, vol. 2, pp. 9–26, October 1991.
- R. Srinivasan and P. P. Jovanis, “Evaluation of the attentional demand of selected visual route guidance systems,” in Proceedings of the 6th 1995 Vehicle Navigation and Information Systems Conference, pp. 140–146, August 1995.
- J. Creaser, M. Rakauskas, N. Ward, and J. Laberge, “A simulator-based evaluation of smart infrastructure concepts of Intersection Decision Support (IDS) for rural thru-STOP scenarios,” Project Number MN/RC-2007-31, Minnesota Department of Transportation, Duluth, Minn, USA, 2007.
- V. G. B. Kolisetty, T. Iryo, Y. Asakura, and K. Kuroda, “Effect of variable message signs on driver speed behavior on a section of expressway under adverse fog conditions—a driving simulator approach,” Journal of Advanced Transportation, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 47–74, 2006.
- S. L. Jamson, F. N. Tate, and A. H. Jamson, “Evaluating the effects of bilingual traffic signs on driver performance and safety,” Ergonomics, vol. 48, no. 15, pp. 1734–1748, 2005.
- C. Lee and M. Abdel-Aty, “Testing effects of warning messages and variable speed limits on driver behavior using driving simulator,” Transportation Research Record, no. 2069, pp. 55–64, 2008.
- A. Erke, F. Sagberg, and R. Hagman, “Effects of route guidance variable message signs (VMS) on driver behaviour,” Transportation Research F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 447–457, 2007.
- C. Arien, E. M. M. Jongen, K. Brijs, T. Brijs, S. Daniels, and G. Wets, “A simulator study on the impact of traffic calming measures in urban areas on driving behavior and workload,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 61, pp. 43–53, 2013.
- L.-S. Tey, G. Wallis, S. Cloete, L. Ferreira, and Sicong, “Evaluating driver behavior toward innovative warning devices at railway level crossings using a driving simulator,” Journal of Transportation Safety and Security, vol. 5, pp. 118–130, 2013.
- Y. Ş. Murat and N. Uludaǧ, “Modeling route choice behaviour in transportation networks by using fuzzy logic and logistic regression techniques,” Technical Journal of Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 4363–4379, 2008.
- K. Chatterjii, N. B. Hounsell, P. E. Firmin, and P. W. Bonsall, “Driver response to variable message sign information in London,” Transportation Research C: Emerging Technologies, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 149–169, 2002.
- C. Lee, B. Ran, F. Yang, and W. Loh, “A hybrid tree approach to modeling alternate route choice behavior with online information,” Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 209–219, 2010.
- M. Yun and S. Tang, “Route diversion probability model based on guidance utility and its application,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference of Chinese Transportation Professionals Congress 2007: Plan, Build, and Manage Transportation Infrastructures in China, pp. 627–636, May 2007.
- H. Dia, “An agent-based approach to modelling driver route choice behaviour under the influence of real-time information,” Transportation Research C: Emerging Technologies, vol. 10, no. 5-6, pp. 331–349, 2002.
- K. V. Katsikopoulos, Y. Duse-Anthony, D. L. Fisher, and S. A. Duffy, “The framing of drivers' route choices when travel time information is provided under varying degrees of cognitive load,” Human Factors, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 470–481, 2000.
- S. Peeta, J. L. Ramos, and R. Pasupathy, “Content of variable message signs and on-line driver behavior,” Transportation Research Record, no. 1725, pp. 102–108, 2000.