- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 432602, 10 pages
Modeling Transmission Dynamics of Streptococcus suis with Stage Structure and Sensitivity Analysis
1Key Lab of Animal Bacteriology of Ministry of Agriculture, College of Veterinary Medicine, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210095, China
2China Animal Health and Epidemiology Center, Qingdao, Shandong 266032, China
3Department of Mathematics, North University of China, Taiyuan, Shan’xi 030051, China
4Qingdao Municipal Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Qingdao, Shandong 266032, China
Received 7 December 2013; Revised 29 January 2014; Accepted 29 January 2014; Published 16 March 2014
Academic Editor: Delfim F. M. Torres
Copyright © 2014 Chaojian Shen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Gottschalk, R. Higgins, and S. Quessy, “Dilemma of the virulence of Streptococcus suis strains,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 4202–4203, 1999.
- F. Berthelot-Hérault, M. Gottschalk, A. Labbé, R. Cariolet, and M. Kobisch, “Experimental airborne transmission of Streptococcus suis capsular type 2 in pigs,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 69–80, 2001.
- I. D. Robertson, D. K. Blackmore, D. J. Hampson, and Z. F. Fu, “A longitudinal study of natural infection of piglets with Streptococcus suis types 1 and 2,” Epidemiology & Infection, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 119–126, 1991.
- S. A. Dee, A. R. Carlson, N. L. Winkelman, and M. M. Corey, “Effect of management practices on the Streptococcus suis carrier rate in nursery swine,” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, vol. 203, no. 2, pp. 295–299, 1993.
- Z.-R. Lun, Q.-P. Wang, X.-G. Chen, A.-X. Li, and X.-Q. Zhu, “Streptococcus suis: an emerging zoonotic pathogen,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 201–209, 2007.
- J. J. Staats, I. Feder, O. Okwumabua, and M. M. Chengappa, “Streptococcus suis: past and present,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 381–407, 1997.
- A. T. R. Costa, F. C. F. Lobato, V. L. V. Abreu, R. A. Assis, R. Reis, and F. A. Uzal, “Serotyping and evaluation of the virulence in mice of Streptococcus suis strains isolated from diseased pigs,” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 113–115, 2005.
- A. C. F. Hui, K. C. Ng, P. Y. Tong et al., “Bacterial meningitis in Hong Kong: 10-Years' experience,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 366–370, 2005.
- R. Kay, A. F. Cheng, and C. Y. Tse, “Streptococcus suis infection in Hong Kong,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 1995.
- H. F. L. Wertheim, H. D. T. Nghia, W. Taylor, and C. Schultsz, “Streptococcus suis: an emerging human pathogen,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 617–625, 2009.
- S. D. E. Geffner, M. R. Moreno, A. M. S. Campillo, S. F. J. Pardo, G. A. Gómez, and M. D. Martínez-Lozano, “Streptococcus suis meningitis,” Anales de Medicina Interna, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 317–318, 2001.
- C.-P. Zhang, Y.-B. Ning, Z.-Q. Zhang et al., “Prevalence of Streptococcus suis isolated from clinically healthy sows in China,” Agricultural Sciences in China, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 638–642, 2009.
- K. C. Wang, Z.-I. Xiong, Y.-M. Shang, et al., “Detection of the Streptococcus suis of clinical healthy pigs in Chongqing,” Chinese Journal of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, vol. 41, pp. 594–599, 2010.
- L. Luo, X. Wang, Z.-G. Cui, et al., “Isolation of Streptococcus suis type 2 from healthy pigs in Ziyang district of Sichuan province and analysis of their molecular characteristics,” Chinese Journal of Zoonoses, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 842–845, 2009.
- C. L. Li, W.-L. Yu, A.-G. Jia, et al., “Carrier rate of Streptococcus suis in palatine tonsils of slaughter pigs in south China,” Chinese Journal of Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 30, pp. 343–348, 2008.
- Y. Xiong, F.-Y. Qin, Y. Bai, et al., “Identification of type 2 of swine Streptococcus suis from piglets by PCR in Guangxi,” Guangxi Agricultural Sciences, vol. 37, pp. 449–451, 2006.
- L. X. Lu, K.-W. He, Y.-X. Ni, et al., “Isolation and identification of virulent Streptococcus suis type 2 from tonsillar specimens of slaughtered healthy pigs,” Chinese Journal of Zoonoses, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 379–383, 2008.
- P. van den Driessche and J. Watmough, “Reproduction numbers and sub-threshold endemic equilibria for compartmental models of disease transmission,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 180, no. 1-2, pp. 29–48, 2002.
- M. T. Li, G. Q. Sun, J. Zhang, and Z. Jin, “Global dynamic behavior of a multi-group cholera model with indirect transmission,” Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2013, Article ID 703826, 11 pages, 2013.
- J. Li, Y. Yang, and Y. Zhou, “Global stability of an epidemic model with latent stage and vaccination,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 2163–2173, 2011.
- H. Guo, M. Y. Li, and Z. Shuai, “Global stability of the endemic equilibrium of multigroup SIR epidemic models,” Canadian Applied Mathematics Quarterly, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 259–284, 2006.
- H. Guo, M. Y. Li, and Z. Shuai, “A graph-theoretic approach to the method of global Lyapunov functions,” Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 136, no. 8, pp. 2793–2802, 2008.
- R. Sun and J. Shi, “Global stability of multigroup epidemic model with group mixing and nonlinear incidence rates,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 218, no. 2, pp. 280–286, 2011.
- J. P. LaSalle, The Stability of Dynamical Systems, Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, SIAM, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1976.