- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 35 (2013), Issue 5, Pages 525–529
Hypovitaminosis D in Geriatric Acute Care Unit: A Biomarker of Longer Length of Stay
1Department of Geriatrics, Hospital of Laval, 53000 Laval, France
2Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Neuroscience, Angers University Hospital, 49933 Angers Cedex 9, France
3Department of Geriatrics, Hospital of Château-Gontier, 53200 Château-Gontier, France
4UPRES EA 4638, Angers University, UNAM, 49000 Angers, France
5Department of Medical Biophysics, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Robarts Research Institute, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 5K8
Received 9 June 2013; Revised 4 September 2013; Accepted 6 September 2013
Academic Editor: Paul Ashwood
Copyright © 2013 Lise Hélard et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Holick, “Vitamin D deficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2007.
- C. Annweiler, J.-C. Souberbielle, A.-M. Schott, L. de Decker, G. Berrut, and O. Beauchet, “Vitamin D in the elderly: 5 points to remember,” Geriatrie et Psychologie Neuropsychiatrie du Vieillissement, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 259–267, 2011.
- M. Peterlik and H. S. Cross, “Vitamin D and calcium insufficiency-related chronic diseases: molecular and cellular pathophysiology,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 12, pp. 1377–1386, 2009.
- O. Beauchet, L. Hélard, M. Montero-Odasso, L. de Decker, G. Berrut, and C. Annweiler, “Hypovitaminosis D in geriatric inpatients: a marker of severity of chronic diseases,” Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 24, pp. 188–192, 2012.
- A. Sutra del Galy, M. Bertrand, F. Bigot et al., “Vitamin D insufficiency and acute care in geriatric inpatients,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1721–1723, 2009.
- C. Annweiler, S. Pochic, B. Fantino et al., “Serum vitamin D concentration and short-term mortality among geriatric inpatients in acute care settings,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 245–249, 2010.
- A. Zittermann, J. Kuhn, J. Dreier, C. Knabbe, J. F. Gummert, and J. Börgermann, “Vitamin D status and the risk of major adverse cardiac and cerebrovascular events in cardiac surgery,” European Heart Journal, vol. 34, pp. 1358–1364, 2013.
- O. Beauchet, C. P. Launay, F. Maunoury, L. de Decker, B. Fantino, and C. Annweiler, “Association between vitamin D deficiency and long hospital stay in geriatric acute care unit: results from a pilot cohort study,” Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 107–109, 2013.
- O. Beauchet, C. Launay, L. de Decker, B. Fantino, A. Kabeshova, and C. Annweiler, “Who is at risk of long hospital stay among patients admitted to geriatric acute care unit? Results from a prospective cohort study,” The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 695–699, 2013.
- D. Machin, M. Campbell, P. Fayers, and A. Pinol, Sample Size Tables for Clinical Studies, Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1997.
- J. M. Vetel, R. Leroux, and J. M. Ducoudray, “AGGIR. Practical use. Geriatric Autonomy Group Resources Needs,” Soins. Gérontologie, no. 13, pp. 23–27, 1998.
- World Health Organization, Prevention and Management of Osteoporosis: Report of a WHO Scientific Group, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- A. C. Ross, J. E. Manson, S. A. Abrams et al., “The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine: what clinicians need to know,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2011.
- C. Subramaniam, L. C. Gray, and S. Farish, “Predictors of length of stay in a geriatric assessment and rehabilitation unit,” Australian Health Review, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 56–68, 1995.
- W. Chung, S.-M. Oh, T. Suh, Y. M. Lee, B. H. Oh, and C.-W. Yoon, “Determinants of length of stay for psychiatric inpatients: analysis of a national database covering the entire Korean elderly population,” Health Policy, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 120–128, 2010.
- M. Zanocchi, B. Maero, P. Maina et al., “Factors predicting a prolonged hospital stay in elderly patients,” Minerva Medica, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 135–143, 2002.
- R. M. Palmer, “Acute hospital care of the elderly: minimizing the risk of functional decline,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 117–128, 1995.
- R. P. Heaney, “Vitamin D in health and disease,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 1535–1541, 2008.