- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 276079, 4 pages
Systemic Role for Vitamin D in the Treatment of Psoriasis and Metabolic Syndrome
1Department of Medicine, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
2Dermatrials Research, Dermatology Centre, 132 Young Street, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 1V6
Received 13 December 2010; Revised 4 February 2011; Accepted 1 April 2011
Academic Editor: Luigi Naldi
Copyright © 2011 Lisa Wenyang Fu and Ronald Vender. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Holick, “Medical progress: vitamin D deficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2007.
- U. Ikeda, D. Wakita, T. Ohkuri, et al., “1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and all-trans retinoic acid synergistically inhibit the differentiation and expansion of Th17 cells,” Immunology Letters, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 2010.
- M. T. Cantorna, Y. Zhu, M. Froicu, and A. Wittke, “Vitamin D status, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, and the immune system,” American Journal of Clinical Nutritio, vol. 80, supplement, pp. 1717S–1720S, 2004.
- M. P. Schön and W. H. Boehncke, “Psoriasis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 18, pp. 1899–1912, 2005.
- R. G. B. Langley, G. G. Krueger, and C. E. M. Griffiths, “Psoriasis: epidemiology, clinical features, and quality of life,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 64, supplement 2, pp. ii18–ii23, 2005.
- C. E. Griffiths and J. N. Barker, “Pathogenesis and clinical features of psoriasis,” Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9583, pp. 263–271, 2007.
- R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome,” Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9468, pp. 1415–1428, 2005.
- A. J. Cameron, J. E. Shaw, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome: prevalence in worldwide populations,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 351–375, 2004.
- P. Gisondi, G. Tessari, A. Conti et al., “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in patients with psoriasis: a hospital-based case-control study,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 2007.
- S. Peternel and M. Kaštelan, “Immunopathogenesis of psoriasis: focus on natural killer T cells,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1123–1127, 2009.
- D. E. Moller and K. D. Kaufman, “Metabolic syndrome: a clinical and molecular perspective,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 56, pp. 45–62, 2005.
- A. B. Gottlieb, C. Chao, and F. Dann, “Psoriasis comorbidities,” Journal of Dermatological Treatment, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 5–21, 2008.
- D. M. Sommer, S. Jenisch, M. Suchan, E. Christophers, and M. Weichenthal, “Increased prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis,” Archives of Dermatological Research, vol. 298, no. 7, pp. 321–328, 2006.
- R. S. Azfar and J. M. Gelfand, “Psoriasis and metabolic disease: epidemiology and pathophysiology,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 416–422, 2008.
- L. Naldi, A. Addis, S. Chimenti et al., “Impact of body mass index and obesity on clinical response to systemic treatment for psoriasis: evidence from the psocare project,” Dermatology, vol. 217, no. 4, pp. 365–373, 2008.
- E. W. Hossler, M. S. Maroon, and C. M. Mowad, “Gastric bypass surgery improves psoriasis,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. In press.
- P. Libby, “Inflammation in atherosclerosis,” Nature, vol. 420, no. 6917, pp. 868–874, 2002.
- J. M. Gelfand, A. L. Neimann, D. B. Shin, X. Wang, D. J. Margolis, and A. B. Troxel, “Risk of myocardial infarction in patients with psoriasis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 14, pp. 1735–1741, 2006.
- J. M. Gelfand, A. B. Troxel, J. D. Lewis et al., “The risk of mortality in patients with psoriasis: results from a population-based study,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 143, no. 12, pp. 1493–1499, 2007.
- N. N. Mehta, R. S. Azfar, D. B. Shin, A. L. Neimann, A. B. Troxel, and J. M. Gelfand, “Patients with severe psoriasis are at increased risk of cardiovascular mortality: cohort study using the general practice research database,” European Heart Journal, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1000–1006, 2010.
- S. Mottillo, K. B. Filion, J. Genest, et al., “The metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 56, no. 14, pp. 1113–1132, 2010.
- B. Isomaa, P. Almgren, T. Tuomi et al., “Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 683–689, 2001.
- H. M. Lakka, D. E. Laaksonen, T. A. Lakka et al., “The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 21, pp. 2709–2716, 2002.
- W. Abramovits, “Calcitriol 3 microg/g ointment: an effective and safe addition to the armamentarium in topical psoriasis therapy,” Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, vol. 8, supplement 8, pp. s17–s22, 2009.
- P. C. M. Van De Kerkhof, “The topical treatment of psoriasis,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 205–208, 2005.
- E. A. Tanghetti, “The role of topical vitamin D modulators in psoriasis therapy,” Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, vol. 8, supplement 8, pp. s4–s8, 2009.
- B. Lehmann, “Role of the vitamin D pathway in healthy and diseased skin—facts, contradictions and hypotheses,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 97–108, 2009.
- A. Perez, R. Raab, T. C. Chen, A. Turner, and M. F. Holick, “Safety and efficacy of oral calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D) for the treatment of psoriasis,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 1070–1078, 1996.
- G. R. Werner de Castro, F. S. Neves, I. A. Pereira, S. C. Fialho, G. Ribeiro, and A. F. Zimmermann, “Resolution of adalimumab-induced psoriasis after vitamin D deficiency treatment,” Rheumatology International. In press.
- J. I. Botella-Carretero, F. Alvarez-Blasco, J. J. Villafruela, J. A. Balsa, C. Vázquez, and H. F. Escobar-Morreale, “Vitamin D deficiency is associated with the metabolic syndrome in morbid obesity,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 573–580, 2007.
- J. M. Matilainen, T. Husso, S. Toropainen, et al., “Primary effect of 1,25(OH)2D3 on IL-10 expression in monocytes is short-term down-regulation,” Biochimica Biophysica Acta, vol. 1803, no. 11, pp. 1276–1286, 2010.
- T. Tzotzas, F. G. Papadopoulou, K. Tziomalos, et al., “Rising serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin D levels after weight loss in obese women correlate with improvement in insulin resistance,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 4251–4257, 2010.
- K. C. Chiu, A. Chu, V. L. W. Go, and M. F. Saad, “Hypovitaminosis D is associated with insulin resistance and β cell dysfunction,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 820–825, 2004.
- J. A. Alvarez and A. Ashraf, “Role of vitamin d in insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity for glucose homeostasis,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2010, Article ID 351385, 2010.
- K. C. Maki, M. R. Rubin, L. G. Wong et al., “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D is independently associated with high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and the metabolic syndrome in men and women,” Journal of Clinical Lipidology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 289–296, 2009.
- A. G. Pittas, J. Lau, F. B. Hu, and B. Dawson-Hughes, “Review: the role of vitamin D and calcium in type 2 diabetes. A systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 2017–2029, 2007.
- J. P. McConnell, K. F. Foley, and G. M. Vargas, “Hypovitaminosis D: a new risk marker for cardiovascular disease,” Clinical Laboratory Science, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 240–246, 2009.
- T. J. Wang, M. J. Pencina, S. L. Booth et al., “Vitamin D deficiency and risk of cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 503–511, 2008.