- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 212945, 6 pages
Effectiveness of Onion Extract Gel on Surgical Scars in Asians
Division of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Rajthevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Received 21 April 2012; Revised 23 June 2012; Accepted 23 June 2012
Academic Editor: Aziz Ghahary
Copyright © 2012 Kumutnart Chanprapaph et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. Singer and R. A. F. Clark, “Cutaneous wound healing,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 10, pp. 738–746, 1999.
- J. M. Zurada, D. Kriegel, and I. C. Davis, “Topical treatments for hypertrophic scars,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1024–1031, 2006.
- F. B. Niessen, P. H. M. Spauwen, J. Schalkwijk, and M. Kon, “On the nature of hypertrophic scars and keloids: a review,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 1435–1458, 1999.
- J. J. Shaffer, S. C. Taylor, and F. Cook-Bolden, “Keloidal scars: a review with a critical look at therapeutic options,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. S63–S97, 2002.
- R. S. English and P. D. Shenefelt, “Keloids and hypertrophic scars,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 631–638, 1999.
- G. G. Gauglitz, H. C. Korting, T. Pavicic, T. Ruzicka, and M. G. Jeschke, “Hypertrophic scarring and keloids: pathomechanisms and current and emerging treatment strategies,” Molecular Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1-2, pp. 113–125, 2011.
- B. Pawlikowska-Pawlega and A. Gawron, “Effect of quercetin on the growth of mouse fibroblast cells in vitro,” Polish Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 531–535, 1995.
- K. T. Augusti, “Therapeutic values of onion (Allium cepa L.) and garlic (Allium sativum L.),” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 634–640, 1996.
- J. W. Cho, S. Y. Cho, S. R. Lee, and K. S. Lee, “Onion extract and quercetin induce matrix metalloproteinase-1 in vitro and in vivo,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 347–352, 2010.
- B. A. Jackson and A. J. Shelton, “Pilot study evaluating topical onion extract as treatment for postsurgical scars,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 267–269, 1999.
- P. Clarys, K. Alewaeters, R. Lambrecht, and A. O. Barel, “Skin color measurements: comparison between three instruments: the Chromameter, the DermaSpectrometer and the Mexameter,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 230–238, 2000.
- A. E. Rivera, “Acne scarring: a review and current treatment modalities,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 659–676, 2008.
- R. Ogawa, “Keloid and hypertrophic scarring may result from a mechanoreceptor or mechanosensitive nociceptor disorder,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 493–500, 2008.
- P. Morganroth, A. C. Wilmot, and C. Miller, “Over-the-counter scar products for postsurgical patients: disparities between online advertised benefits and evidence regarding efficacy,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. e31–e47, 2009.
- W. S. Ho, S. Y. Ying, P. C. Chan, and H. H. Chan, “Use of onion extract, heparin, allantoin gel in prevention of scarring in Chinese patients having laser removal of tattoos: a prospective randomized controlled trial,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 891–896, 2006.
- A. S. Saulis, J. H. Mogford, and T. A. Mustoe, “Effect of Mederma on hypertrophic scarring in the rabbit ear model,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 177–183, 2002.
- V. Q. Chung, L. Kelley, D. Marra, and S. B. Jiang, “Onion extract gel versus petrolatum emollient on new surgical scars: a prospective double-blinded study,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 193–197, 2006.
- J. Beuth, N. Hunzelmann, R. van Leendert, R. Basten, M. Noehle, and B. Schneider, “Safety and efficacy of local administration of contractubex to hypertrophic scars in comparison to corticosteroid treatment. Results of a multicenter comparative epidemiological cohort study in Germany,” In Vivo, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 277–284, 2006.