- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 495917, 9 pages
Cleansing Formulations That Respect Skin Barrier Integrity
1Johnson & Johnson Consumer Products Companies, 199 Grandview Road, Skillman, NJ 08558, USA
2Neutrogena Corporation, 5760 West 96th Street, R&D Building, Los Angeles, CA 90045, USA
Received 25 April 2012; Accepted 25 June 2012
Academic Editor: Georgios Stamatas
Copyright © 2012 Russel M. Walters et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Zana, Dynamics of Surfactnt Self-Assemblies, CRC Press, 2005.
- D. T. Downing, W. Abraham, B. K. Wegner, K. W. Willman, and J. L. Marshall, “Partition of sodium dodecyl sulfate into stratum corneum lipid liposomes,” Archives of Dermatological Research, vol. 285, no. 3, pp. 151–157, 1993.
- I. Iwai, H. Han, L. D. Hollander, et al., “The human skin barrier is organized as stacked bilayers of fully extended ceramides with cholesterol molecules associated with the ceramide sphingoid moiety,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 132, pp. 2215–2225, 2012.
- S. Ghosh, D. Kim, P. So, and D. Blankschtein, “Visualization and quantification of skin barrier perturbation induced by surfactant-humectant systems using two-photon fluorescence microscopy,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 263–289, 2008.
- S. Ghosh, S. Hornby, G. Grove, C. Zerwick, Y. Appa, and D. Blankschtein, “Ranking of aqueous surfactant-humectant systems based on an analysis of in vitro and in vivo skin barrier perturbation measurements,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 599–620, 2007.
- M. Gloor, B. Senger, M. Langenauer, and J. W. Fluhr, “On the course of the irritant reaction after irritation with sodium lauryl sulphate,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 144–148, 2004.
- C. M. de Jongh, M. M. Verberk, S. W. Spiekstra, S. Gibbs, and S. Kezic, “Cytokines at different stratum corneum levels in normal and sodium lauryl sulphate-irritated skin,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 390–398, 2007.
- K. Ashenburg, The Dirt on Clean: An Unsanitized History, North Point Press, 2007.
- V. Smith, Clean: A History of Personal Hygiene Adn Purity, Oxford Univeristy Press, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- K. P. Ananthapadmanabhan, D. J. Moore, K. Subramanyan, M. Misra, and F. Meyer, “Cleansing without compromise: the impact of cleansers on the skin barrier and the technology of mild cleansing,” Dermatologic Therapy, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 16–25, 2004.
- H. S. Mannheimer, “Baby shamoo,” American Perfumer, vol. 76, pp. 36–37, 1961.
- J. A. Faucher and E. D. Goddard, “Interaction of keratinous substrates with sodium lauryl sulfate: I. Sorption,” Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists of Japan, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 323–337, 1978.
- K. P. Wilhelm, A. B. Cua, H. H. Wolff, and H. I. Maibach, “Surfactant-induced stratum corneum hydration in vivo: prediction of the irritation potential of anionic surfactants,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 310–315, 1993.
- A. J. O. 'Lenick, Surfactants: Strategic Personal Care Ingredients, Allured Books, 2005.
- G. Lu and D. J. Moore, “Study of surfactant-skin interactions by skin impedance measurements,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 34, pp. 74–80, 2012.
- R. Schmucker and M. Sugr, Method of Preparing Particularly Skin-compatible Cosmetic or Dermatological Cleansing Preparations, 2002.
- P. N. Moore, A. Shiloach, S. Puvvada, and D. Blankschtein, “Penetration of mixed micelles into the epidermis: effect of mixing sodium dodecyl sulfate with dodecyl hexa(ethylene oxide),” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 143–159, 2003.
- M. Apel-Paz, G. F. Doncel, and T. K. Vanderlick, “Membrane perturbation by surfactant candidates for STD prevention,” Langmuir, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 591–597, 2003.
- P. N. Moore, S. Puvvada, and D. Blankschtein, “Challenging the surfactant monomer skin penetration model: penetration of sodium dodecyl sulfate micelles into the epidermis,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 29–46, 2003.
- P. M. Elias, “Structure and function of the stratum corneum permeability barrier,” Drug Development Research, vol. 13, no. 2-3, pp. 97–105, 1988.
- M. A. Lampe, M. L. Williams, and P. M. Elias, “Human epidermal lipids: characterization and modulations during differentiation,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 1983.
- P. W. Wertz, M. C. Miethke, S. A. Long, J. S. Strauss, and D. T. Downing, “The composition of the ceramides from human stratum corneum and from comedones,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 410–412, 1985.
- Y. Masukawa, H. Narita, H. Sato et al., “Comprehensive quantification of ceramide species in human stratum corneum,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1708–1719, 2009.
- J. Van Smeden, L. Hoppel, R. Van Der Heijden, T. Hankemeier, R. J. Vreeken, and J. A. Bouwstra, “LC/MS analysis of stratum corneum lipids: ceramide profiling and discovery,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1211–1221, 2011.
- K. C. Madison, D. C. Swartzendruber, P. W. Wertz, and D. T. Downing, “Presence of intact intercellular lipid lamellae in the upper layers of the stratum corneum,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 714–718, 1987.
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, J. A. Van der Spek, and W. Bras, “Structural investigations of human stratum corneum by small-angle X-ray scattering,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1005–1012, 1991.
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, A. Weerheim, J. Kempenaar, and M. Ponec, “Characterization of stratum corneum structure in reconstructed epidermis by X-ray diffraction,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 496–504, 1995.
- S. L. Krill, K. Knutson, and W. I. Higuchi, “The stratum corneum lipid thermotropic phase behavior,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1112, no. 2, pp. 281–286, 1992.
- B. Ongpipattanakul, M. L. Francoeur, and R. O. Potts, “Polymorphism in stratum corneum lipids,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1190, no. 1, pp. 115–122, 1994.
- R. D. Pensack, B. B. Michniak, D. J. Moore, and R. Mendelsohn, “Infrared kinetic/structural studies of barrier reformation in intact stratum corneum following thermal perturbation,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 1399–1404, 2006.
- M. Boncheva, F. Damien, and V. Normand, “Molecular organization of the lipid matrix in intact Stratum corneum using ATR-FTIR spectroscopy,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 5, pp. 1344–1355, 2008.
- C. Ribaud, J. C. Garson, J. Doucet, and J. L. Leveque, “Organization of stratum corneum lipids in relation to permeability: influence of sodium lauryl sulfate and preheating,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1414–1418, 1994.
- F. Damien and M. Boncheva, “The extent of orthorhombic lipid phases in the stratum corneum determines the barrier efficiency of human skin in vivo,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 611–614, 2010.
- J. L. Leveque, J. de Rigal, D. Saint-Leger, and D. Billy, “How does sodium lauryl sulfate alter the skin barrier function in man? A multiparametric approach,” Skin Pharmacology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 1993.
- M. Gloor, B. Wasik, W. Gehring, R. Grieshaber, P. Kleesz, and J. W. Fluhr, “Cleansing, dehydrating, barrier-damaging and irritating hyperaemising effect of four detergent brands: comparative studies using standardised washing models,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2004.
- P. Saad, C. R. Flach, R. M. Walters, and R. Mendelsohn, “Infrared spectroscopic studies of sodium dodecyl sulphate permeation and interaction with stratum corneum lipids in skin,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 36–43, 2012.
- G. Mao, C. R. Flach, R. Mendelsohn, and R. M. Walters, “Imaging the distribution of sodium dodecyl sulfate in skin by confocal raman and infrared microspectroscopy,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 2189–2201, 2012.
- P. Argos, K. Pedersen, M. D. Marks, and B. A. Larkins, “A structural model for maize zein proteins,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 257, no. 17, pp. 9984–9990, 1982.
- H. H. Bragulla and D. G. Homberger, “Structure and functions of keratin proteins in simple, stratified, keratinized and cornified epithelia,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 214, no. 4, pp. 516–559, 2009.
- J. E. Seto, B. E. Polat, B. VanVeller, R. F. Lopez, R. Langer, and D. Blankschtein, “Fluorescent penetration enhancers for transdermal applications,” The Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 85–92, 2012.
- J. Aramaki, C. Löffler, S. Kawana, I. Effendy, R. Happle, and H. Löffler, “Irritant patch testing with sodium lauryl sulphate: interrelation between concentration and exposure time,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 704–708, 2001.
- P. G. M. Van der Valk, J. P. Nater, and E. Bleumink, “Skin irritancy of surfactants as assessed by water vapor loss measurements,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 291–293, 1984.
- C. M. De Jongh, I. Jakasa, M. M. Verberk, and S. Kezic, “Variation in barrier impairment and inflammation of human skin as determined by sodium lauryl sulphate penetration rate,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 154, no. 4, pp. 651–657, 2006.
- H. Törmä, M. Lindberg, and B. Berne, “Skin barrier disruption by sodium lauryl sulfate-exposure alters the expressions of involucrin, transglutaminase 1, profilaggrin, and kallikreins during the repair phase in human skin in vivo,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 1212–1219, 2008.
- M. Denda, “Epidermal proliferative response induced by sodium dodecyl sulphate varies with environmental humidity,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 252–257, 2001.
- A. Lips, K. P. Ananthapadmanabhan, and M. Vethamuthu, “Role of surfactant charge in protein denaturation and surfactant-induced skin irritation,” in Surfactants in Personal Care Products and Decorative Cosmetics, pp. 177–187, CRC Press, 2006.
- S. Ghosh and D. Blankschtein, “The role of sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) micelles in inducing skin barrier perturbation in the presence of glycerol,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 109–133, 2007.
- C. Maltesh and P. Somasundaran, “Size of the sodium dodecylsulfate aggregate bound to polyethylene glycol: effect of different cations,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 1993.
- J. N. Masci and N. A. Poirier, Detergent Composition, Johnosn & Johnson, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 1961.
- R. M. Walters, M. Fevola, J. LiBrizzi, and K. Martin, “Designing cleansers for the unique needs of baby skin,” Cosmet Toilet, vol. 123, no. 12, pp. 53–60, 2008.
- M. J. Fevola, R. M. Walters, and J. J. LiBrizzi, “A new approach to formulating mild cleansers: hydrophobically-modified polymers for irritation mitigation,” Polymeric Delivery of Therapeutics, vol. 1053, pp. 221–242, 2010.
- R. M. Walters, M. J. Fevola, L. Gandolfi, J. J. Librizzi, K. Tamareselvy, and N. K. Tierney, “Polymer-surfactant self-assembly for the design of mild skin cleansers,” Polymeric Materials: Science & Engineering, vol. 105, pp. 697–698, 2011.
- B. Yu, C. Y. Dong, P. T. C. So, D. Blankschtein, and R. Langer, “In vitro visualization and quantification of oleic acid induced changes in transdermal transport using two-photon fluorescence microscopy,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 16–25, 2001.
- S. Hornby, R. Walters, Y. Kamath, and Y. Appa, “Reduction in skin barrier perturbation by hydrophobically modified polymers,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 64, no. 2, p. AB25, 2011.