- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 749561, 5 pages
Metal Allergy and Systemic Contact Dermatitis: An Overview
Department of Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
Received 8 March 2012; Accepted 6 April 2012
Academic Editor: Alex Zvulunov
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Yoshihisa and Tadamichi Shimizu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. I. Nijhawan, M. Molenda, M. J. Zirwas, and S. E. Jacob, “Systemic contact dermatitis,” Dermatologic Clinics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 355–364, 2009.
- J. P. Thyssen, A. Linneberg, T. Menné, and J. D. Johansen, “The epidemiology of contact allergy in the general population—prevalence and main findings,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 287–299, 2007.
- S. E. Jacob and T. Zapolanski, “Systemic contact dermatitis,” Dermatitis, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2008.
- J. P. Thyssen, A. Linneberg, T. Menné, N. H. Nielsen, and J. D. Johansen, “No association between nickel allergy and reporting cosmetic dermatitis from mascara or eye shadow: a cross-sectional general population study,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 722–725, 2010.
- J. E. Wahlberg and A. Boman, “Sensitization and testing of guinea pigs with cobalt chloride,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 128–132, 1978.
- L. K. Lu, E. M. Warshaw, and C. A. Dunnick, “Prevention of Nickel allergy: the case for regulation?” Dermatologic Clinics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 155–161, 2009.
- K. E. Andersen, N. Hjorth, and T. Menne, “The baboon syndrome: systematically-induced allergic contact dermatitis,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 97–100, 1984.
- B. Krecisz, D. Chomiczewska, M. Kiec-Swierczynska, and A. Kaszuba, “Systemic contact dermatitis to nickel present in cocoa in 14-year-old boy,” Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 335–336, 2011.
- D. L. Silvestri and S. Barmettler, “Pruritus ani as a manifestation of systemic contact dermatitis: resolution with dietary nickel restriction,” Dermatitis, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2011.
- C. S. Jensen, T. Menné, S. Lisby, J. Kristiansen, and N. K. Veien, “Experimental systemic contact dermatitis from nickel: a dose-response study,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 124–132, 2003.
- A. Sharma, “Relationship between nickel allergy and diet,” Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 307–312, 2007.
- F. Giordano-Labadie, F. Rancé, F. Pellegrin, J. Bazex, G. Dutau, and H. P. Schwarze, “Frequency of contact allergy in children with atopic dermatitis: results of a prospective study of 137 cases,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 192–195, 1999.
- N. Novak, H. Baurecht, T. Schäfer et al., “Loss-of-function mutations in the Filaggrin gene and allergic contact sensitization to nickel,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 1430–1435, 2008.
- J. P. Thyssen, A. Linneberg, K. Engkilde, et al., “Contact sensitization to common haptens is associated with atopic dermatitis:new insight,” British Journal of Dermatology. In press.
- J. W. Hsu, C. Matiz, and S. E. Jacob, “Nickel allergy: localized, Id, and systemic manifestations in children,” Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 276–280, 2011.
- J. Shanon, “Pseudo-atopic dermatitis. Contact dermatitis due to chrome sensitivity simulating atopic dermatitis.,” Dermatologica, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 176–190, 1965.
- I. Rystedt and T. Fischer, “Relationship between nickel and cobalt sensitization in hard metal workers,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 195–200, 1983.
- J. Stuckert and S. Nedorost, “Low-cobalt diet for dyshidrotic eczema patients,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 361–365, 2008.
- L. Schwartz, S. M. Peck, K. E. Blair, and K. E. Markuson, “Allergic dermatitis due to metallic cobalt,” Journal of Allergy, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 51–53, 1945.
- E. SKOG, “Skin affections caused by hard metal dust.,” Industrial Medicine & Surgery, vol. 32, pp. 266–268, 1963.
- Y. Asano, T. Makino, O. Norisugi, and T. Shimizu, “Occupational cobalt induced systemic contact dermatitis,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 166–168, 2009.
- M. Costa and C. B. Klein, “Toxicity and carcinogenicity of chromium compounds in humans,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 155–163, 2006.
- D. Burrows, “Adverse chromate reactions on the skin,” in Chromium: Metabolism and Toxicity, D. Burrows, Ed., pp. 137–163, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2000.
- J. G. Marks, P. Elsner, and V. De Leo, Contact and Occupational Dermatology, Mosby, Mo, USA, 2002.
- M. B. Hansen, J. D. Johansen, and T. Menné, “Chromium allergy: significance of both Cr(III) and Cr(VI),” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 206–212, 2003.
- K. Kaaber and N. K. Veien, “The significance of chromate ingestion in patients allergic to chromate,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 321–323, 1977.
- J. Van Ulsen, E. Stolz, and Van Joost Th., “Chromate dermatitis from a homeopathic drug,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 56–57, 1988.
- T. Menné, N. Veien, K. E. Sjølin, and H. I. Maibach, “Systemic contact dermatitis,” American Journal of Contact Dermatitis, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1994.
- N. K. Veien, T. Hattel, and G. Laurberg, “Chromate-allergic patients challenged orally with potassium dichromate,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 137–139, 1994.
- J. F. Fowler Jr., “Systemic contact dermatitis caused by oral chromium picolinate,” Cutis, vol. 65, no. 2, p. 116, 2000.
- E. Özkaya, Z. Topkarci, and G. Özarmaǧan, “Systemic allergic dermatitis from chromium in a multivitamin/multimineral tablet,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 62, no. 3, p. 184, 2010.
- X. Gao, R. X. He, S. G. Yan, and L. D. Wu, “Dermatitis Associated With Chromium Following Total Knee Arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 665.e13–665.e16, 2011.
- A. Afolaranmi, J. Tettey, R.M. Meek, et al., “Release of chromium from orthopaedic arthroplasties,” The Open Orthopaedics Journal, vol. 2, pp. 10–18, 2008.
- T. Ido, M. Kumakiri, T. Kiyohara, T. Sawai, and Y. Hasegawa, “Oral lichen planus due to zinc in dental restorations,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 47, no. 1, p. 51, 2002.
- T. Yanagi, T. Shimizu, R. Abe, and H. Shimizu, “Zinc dental fillings and palmoplantar pustulosis,” Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9490, p. 1050, 2005.
- T. Shimizu, S. Kobayashi, and M. Tanaka, “Systemic contact dermatitis to zinc in dental fillings,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 675–676, 2003.
- T. Yanagi, K. Kodama, Y. Yoshihisa, H. Shimizu, and T. Shimizu, “Macrophage migration inhibitory factor in zinc-allergic systemic contact dermatitis,” Cytokine, vol. 35, no. 5-6, pp. 270–274, 2006.
- N. Saito, N. Yamane, W. Matsumura et al., “Generalized exacerbation of systemic allergic dermatitis due to zinc patch test and dental treatments,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 372–373, 2010.
- N. Hjorth, “Diagnostic patch testing,” in Dermatoxicology and Pharmacology, F. Marzulli and H. I. Maibach, Eds., p. 344, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- T. Fischer and I. Rystedt, “False-positive, follicular and irritant patch test reactions to metal salts,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 93–98, 1985.
- M. Hindsén, M. Bruze, and O. B. Christensen, “Flare-up reactions after oral challenge with nickel in relation to challenge dose and intensity and time of previous patch test reactions,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 616–623, 2001.
- C. S. Jensen, S. Lisby, J. K. Larsen, N. K. Veien, and T. Menné, “Characterization of lymphocyte subpopulations and cytokine profiles in peripheral blood of nickel-sensitive individuals with systemic contact dermatitis after oral nickel exposure,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2004.
- S. Silvennoinen-Kassinen, “The specificity of a nickel sulphate reaction in vitro: a family study and a study of chromium-allergic subjects,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 231–235, 1981.
- L. Borg, J. M. Christensen, J. Kristiansen, N. H. Nielsen, T. Menné, and L. K. Poulsen, “Nickel-induced cytokine production from mononuclear cells in nickel-sensitive individuals and controls. Cytokine profiles in nickel-sensitive individuals with nickel allergy-related hand eczema before and after nickel challenge,” Archives of Dermatological Research, vol. 292, no. 6, pp. 285–291, 2000.
- H. Falsafi-Amin, L. Lundeberg, M. Bakhiet, and K. Nordlind, “Early DNA synthesis and cytokine expression in the nickel activation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells in nickel-allergic subjects,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 170–176, 2000.
- E. Jakobson, K. Masjedi, N. Ahlborg, L. Lundeberg, A. T. Karlberg, and A. Scheynius, “Cytokine production in nickel-sensitized individuals analysed with enzyme-linked immunospot assay: possible implication for diagnosis,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 442–449, 2002.
- J. T. Minang, I. Areström, M. Troye-Blomberg, L. Lundeberg, and N. Ahlborg, “Nickel, cobalt, chromium, palladium and gold induce a mixed Th1- and Th2-type cytokine response in vitro in subjects with contact allergy to the respective metals,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 417–426, 2006.
- E. Czarnobilska, P. Thor, J. Kaszuba-Zwoinska et al., “Response of peripheral blood mononuclear leukocyte to nickel stimulation in patients with systemic and contact allergy to nickel,” Przegla, d Lekarski, vol. 63, no. 12, pp. 1276–1280, 2006.
- N. Wellinghausen, C. Driessen, and L. Rink, “Stimulation of human peripheral blood mononuclear cells by zinc and related cations,” Cytokine, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 767–771, 1996.
- T. Shimizu, R. Abe, J. Nishihira et al., “Impaired contact hypersensitivity in macrophage migration inhibitory factor-deficient mice,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1478–1487, 2003.
- U. Schurigt, C. Pfirschke, I. M. Irmler et al., “Interactions of T helper cells with fibroblast-like synoviocytes: up-regulation of matrix metalloproteinases by macrophage migration inhibitory factor from both Th1 and Th2 cells,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 3030–3040, 2008.