- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 952186, 8 pages
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Received 3 December 2011; Revised 3 April 2012; Accepted 3 April 2012
Academic Editor: Eckart Haneke
Copyright © 2012 Julie Jefferson and Phoebe Rich. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Haneke and R. Baran, “Longitudinal melanonychia,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 580–584, 2001.
- J. Andre and N. Lateur, “Pigmented nail disorders,” Dermatologic Clinics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 329–339, 2006.
- N. Jellinek, “Nail matrix biopsy of longitudinal melanonychia: diagnostic algorithm including the matrix shave biopsy,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 803–810, 2007.
- P. Rich, “Nail surgery,” in Dermatology, J. L. Bolognia, J. L. Jorizzo, and R. P. Rapini, Eds., chapter 149, pp. 2260–2268, Mosby, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2006.
- J. M. Klausner, M. Inbar, M. Gutman, et al., “Nail-bed melanoma,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 208–210, 1987.
- C. Perrin, J. F. Michiels, A. Pisani, and J. P. Ortonne, “Anatomic distribution of melanocytes in normal nail unit: an immunohistochemical investigation,” American Journal of Dermatopathology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 462–467, 1997.
- R. Baran and C. Perrin, “Linear melanonychia due to subungual keratosis of the nail bed: a report of two cases,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 140, no. 4, pp. 730–733, 1999.
- A. Tosti, R. Baran, B. M. Piraccini, N. Cameli, and P. A. Fanti, “Nail matrix nevi: a clinical and histopathologic study of twenty-two patients,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 34, no. 5 I, pp. 765–771, 1996.
- N. Lateur and J. Andre, “Melanonychia: diagnosis and treatment,” Dermatologic Therapy, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 131–141, 2002.
- R. Baran and P. Kechijian, “Longitudinal melanonychia (melanonychia striata): diagnosis and management,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1165–1175, 1989.
- E. Aratari, G. Regesta, and A. Rebora, “Carpal tunnel syndrome appearing with prominent skin symptoms,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 517–519, 1984.
- R. Baran, “Frictional longitudinal melanonychia: a new entity,” Dermatologica, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 280–284, 1987.
- J. Fayol, R. Baran, C. Perrin, and F. Labrousse, “Onychomatricoma with misleading features,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 370–372, 2000.
- U. Sass, J. Andre, J. J. Stene, and J. C. Noel, “Longitudinal melanonychia revealing an intraepidermal carcinoma of the nail apparatus: detection of integrated HPV-16 DNA,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 490–493, 1998.
- R. Baran and E. Haneke, “Tumours of the nail apparatus and adjacent tissues,” in Diseases of the Nails and Their Management, R. Baran and R. P. R. Dawber, Eds., pp. 417–496, Blackwell Scientific, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1994.
- B. Cribier, M. L. Mena, D. Rey et al., “Nail changes in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus: a prospective controlled study,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 134, no. 10, pp. 1216–1220, 1998.
- H. K. Kar, “Longitudinal melanonychia associated with fluconazole therapy,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 719–720, 1998.
- E. E. O'Branski, R. E. Ware, N. S. Prose, and T. R. Kinney, “Skin and nail changes in children with sickle cell anemia receiving hydroxyurea therapy,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 859–861, 2001.
- B. M. Piraccini and A. Tosti, “Drug-induced nail disorders. Incidence, management and prognosis,” Drug Safety, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 187–201, 1999.
- K. E. Quinlan, J. J. Janiga, R. Baran, and H. W. Lim, “Transverse melanonychia secondary to total skin electron beam therapy: a report of 3 cases,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 53, no. 2, supplement, pp. S112–S114, 2005.
- R. Sutton, “Transverse band pigmentation of fingernails after x-ray therapy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 210–211, 1952.
- W. B. Shelley, H. M. Rawnsley, and D. M. Pillsbury, “Postirradiation melanonychia,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 90, pp. 174–176, 1964.
- E. Weiss and R. Sayegh-Carreno, “PUVA-induced pigmented nails,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 188–189, 1989.
- S. Kyung Hann, S. Y. Hwang, and Y. K. Park, “Melanonychia induced by systemic photochemotherapy,” Photodermatology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 98–99, 1989.
- L. S. Ledbetter and S. Hsu, “Melanonychia associated with PUVA therapy,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 48, no. 2, supplement, pp. S31–S32, 2003.
- R. P. C. Naik and Y. R. Parameswara, “8-Methoxypsoralen-induced nail pigmentation,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 275–276, 1982.
- A. P. Cunha, C. Resende, L. Barros, et al., “Transverse melanonychia caused by the use of infliximab to treat refractory pyoderma gangrenosum (P23-28),” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 16, article 250, 2002.
- A. Tosti, R. Baran, and R. Dawber, “The nail in systemic diseases and drug-induced changes,” in Diseases of the Nails and Their Management, R. Baran and R. Dawber, Eds., pp. 175–262, Blackwell Scientific, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1994.
- R. G. Positano, T. M. DeLauro, and B. J. Berkowitz, “Nail changes secondary to environmental influences,” Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 417–429, 1989.
- A. Hernandez-Martin, S. Ros-Forteza, and P. de Unamuno, “Longitudinal, transverse, and diffuse nail hyperpigmentation induced by hydroxyurea,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 333–334, 1999.
- S. Goettmann-Bonvallot, J. Andre, and S. Belaich, “Longitudinal melanonychia in children: a clinical and histopathologic study of 40 cases,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 1999.
- C. Leaute-Labreze, P. Bioulac-Sage, and A. Taieb, “Longitudinal melanonychia in children: a study of eight cases,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 167–169, 1996.
- E. Paul, H. Kleiner, and R. H. Bodeker, “Epidemiologie und prognose subungualer melanome,” Hautarzt, vol. 43, pp. 286–290, 1992.
- R. K. Finley III, D. L. Driscoll, L. E. Blumenson, and C. P. Karakousis, “Subungual melanoma: an eighteen-year review,” Surgery, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 96–100, 1994.
- C. C. Banfield, J. C. Redburn, and R. P. R. Dawber, “The incidence and prognosis of nail apparatus melanoma. A retrospective study of 105 patients in four English regions,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 276–279, 1998.
- S. Rodriguez-Cuevas and P. Luna-Perez, “Subungual melanoma. Is elective regional lymph node dissection mandatory?” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 173–178, 1993.
- S. Miura and K. Jimbow, “Clinical characteristics of subungual melanomas in Japan: case report and a questionnaire survey of 108 cases,” Journal of Dermatology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 393–402, 1985.
- T. Saida and Y. Ohshima, “Clinical and histopathologic characteristics of early lesions of subungual malignant melanoma,” Cancer, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 556–560, 1989.
- R. J. Collins, “Melanoma in the Chinese of Hong Kong. Emphasis on volar and subungual sites,” Cancer, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1482–1488, 1984.
- W. C. Black and C. Wiggins, “Melanoma among SouthWestern American Indians,” Cancer, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 2899–2902, 1985.
- N. G. Stevens, J. M. Liff, and N. S. Weiss, “Plantar melanoma: is the incidence of melanoma of the sole of the foot really higher in blacks than whites?” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 691–693, 1990.
- A. Agodi, S. Stefani, C. Corsaro, F. Campanile, S. Gribaldo, and G. Sichel, “Study of a melanic pigment of Proteus mirabilis,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 167–174, 1996.
- S. Ronger, S. Touzet, C. Ligeron et al., “Dermoscopic examination of nail pigmentation,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 138, no. 10, pp. 1327–1333, 2002.
- R. Baran and P. Kechijian, “Hutchinson's sign: a reappraisal,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 87–90, 1996.
- R. P. Braun, R. Baran, J. H. Saurat, and L. Thomas, “Surgical pearl: dermoscopy of the free edge of the nail to determine the level of nail plate pigmentation and the location of its probable origin in the proximal or distal nail matrix,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 512–513, 2006.
- E. K. Levit, M. H. Kagen, R. K. Scher, M. Grossman, and E. Altman, “The ABC rule for clinical detection of subungual melanoma,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 42, no. 2 I, pp. 269–274, 2000.
- N. Di Chiacchio, S. H. Hirata, M. Y. Enokihara, N. S. Michalany, G. Fabbrocini, and A. Tosti, “Dermatologists' accuracy in early diagnosis of melanoma of the nail matrix,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 382–387, 2010.
- P. Rich, “Nail biopsy: indications and methods,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 2001.
- E. Haneke, “Surgical anatomy of the nail apparatus,” in Nail Surgery, B. Richert, N. Di Chiacchio, and E. Haneke, Eds., chapter 1, pp. 1–10, Informa Healthcare, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- P. Fleckman, “Structure and function of the nail unit,” in Nails: Diagnosis, Therapy, and Surgery, R. K. Scher, C. R. Daniel III, et al., Eds., chapter 3, pp. 13–25, Elsevier Saunders, Shanghai, china, 2005.
- D. de Berker, B. Mawhinney, and L. Sviland, “Quantification of regional matrix nail production,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 1083–1086, 1996.
- M. Moossavi and R. K. Scher, “Complications of nail surgery: a review of the literature,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 225–228, 2001.
- E. Haneke, “Operative Therapie akraler und subungualer Melanome,” in Operative und Onkologische Dermatologie. Forschritte der Operative und Onkologischen Dermatologie 15, R. Rompel and J. Petres, Eds., pp. 210–214, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1999.