- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 379725, 10 pages
The Effect of Q-Switched Nd:YAG 1064 nm/532 nm Laser in the Treatment of Onychomycosis In Vivo
1Dermatology and Laser Clinic, 88 Tsimiski Street, 54622 Thessaloniki, Greece
2Dermatology and Laser Center, Reduitstrare 13, 76829 Landau, Germany
3Gazi University Medical Faculty, Department of Dermatology, 06510 Ankara, Turkey
4Aristotle University School of Medicine, Second Department of Dermatology and Venereology, 54622 Thessaloniki, Greece
5Université Libre de Bruxelles, Department CHU Brugmann-Saint Pierre, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
6Carol Davila University of Medicine, Dionisie Lupu Street, 020021 Bucharest, Romania
7Osnabrueck University, Sedanstraße 115, 49090 Osnabrueck, Germany
8Bern University, Department of Dermatology, 117 Inselspital, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Received 30 August 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013
Academic Editor: Craig G. Burkhart
Copyright © 2013 Kostas Kalokasidis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Ghannoum, R. A. Hajjeh, R. Scher et al., “A large-scale North American study of fungal isolates from nails: the frequency of onychomycosis, fungal distribution, and antifungal susceptibility patterns,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 641–648, 2000.
- A. K. Gupta and S. Humke, “The prevalence and management of onychomycosis in diabetic patients,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 379–384, 2000.
- D. T. Roberts, “Prevalence of dermatophyte onychomycosis in the United Kingdom: results of an omnibus survey,” British Journal of Dermatology, Supplement, vol. 126, supplement 39, pp. 23–27, 1992.
- B. S. Schlefman, “Onychomycosis: a compendium of facts and a clinical experience,” Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 290–302, 1999.
- J. C. Szepietowski and A. Reich, “Stigmatisation in onychomycosis patients: a population-based study,” Mycoses, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 343–349, 2009.
- J. C. Szepietowski, A. Reich, P. Pacan, E. Garlowska, and E. Baran, “Evaluation of quality of life in patients with toenail onychomycosis by Polish version of an international onychomycosis-specific questionnaire,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 491–496, 2007.
- Z. Manevitch, D. Lev, M. Hochberg, M. Palhan, A. Lewis, and C. D. Enk, “Direct antifungal effect of femtosecond laser on trichophyton rubrum Onychomycosis,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 476–479, 2010.
- E. M. Warshaw, “Evaluating costs for onychomycosis treatments: a practitioner's perspective,” Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 38–52, 2006.
- A. Tosti, B. M. Piraccini, C. Stinchi, and M. D. Colombo, “Relapses of onychomycosis alter successful treatment with systemic antifungals: a three-year follow-up,” Dermatology, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 162–166, 1998.
- B. Sigurgeirsson, J. H. Ólafsson, J. P. Steinsson, C. Paul, S. Billstein, and E. G. Evans, “Long-term effectiveness of treatment with terbinafine versus itraconazole in onychomycosis: a 5-year blinded prospective follow-up study,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 353–357, 2002.
- H. Jelinkova, T. Dostalova, J. Duskova, et al., “Er: YAG and alexandrite laser radiation propagation in root canal and its effect on bacteria,” Journal of Clinical Laser Medicine and Surgery, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 267–272, 1999.
- J. Frucht-Pery, M. Mor, R. Evron, A. Lewis, and H. Zauberman, “The effect of the ArF excimer laser on Candida albicans in vitro,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 231, no. 7, pp. 413–415, 1993.
- R. H. Keates, P. C. Drago, and E. J. Rothchild, “Effect of excimer laser on microbiological organisms,” Ophthalmic Surgery, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 715–718, 1988.
- E. Vural, H. L. Winfield, A. W. Shingleton, T. D. Horn, and G. Shafirstein, “The effects of laser irradiation on Trichophyton rubrum growth,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 349–353, 2008.
- R. K. Scher, A. Tavakkol, B. Sigurgeirsson et al., “Onychomycosis: diagnosis and definition of cure,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 939–944, 2007.
- C. Grover and A. Khurana, “An update on treatment of onychomycosis,” Mycoses, vol. 55, pp. 541–551, 2012.
- C. Carney, A. Tosti, R. Daniel et al., “A new classification system for grading the severity of onychomycosis: onychomycosis severity index,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 147, no. 11, pp. 1277–1282, 2011.
- N. Zaias, G. Rebell, M. N. Zaiac, and B. Glick, “Onychomycosis treated until the nail is replaced by normal growth or there is failure,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 136, no. 7, p. 940, 2000.
- M. Lecha, I. Effendy, M. F. de Chauvin, N. Di Chiacchio, and R. Baran, “Treatment options: development of consensus guidelines,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 19, supplement 1, pp. 25–33, 2005.
- R. Baran and P. de Doncker, “Lateral edge nail involvement indicates poor prognosis for treating onychomycosis with the new systemic antifungals,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 82–83, 1996.
- R. K. Scher and R. Baran, “Onychomycosis in clinical practice: factors contributing to recurrence,” British Journal of Dermatology, Supplement, vol. 149, supplement 65, pp. 5–9, 2003.
- C. N. Burkhart, C. G. Burkhart, and A. K. Gupta, “Dermatophytoma: recalcitrance to treatment because of existence of fungal biofilm,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 629–631, 2002.
- A. K. Gupta, C. Drummond-Main, E. A. Cooper, W. Brintnell, B. M. Piraccini, and A. Tosti, “Systematic review of nondermatophyte mold onychomycosis: diagnosis, clinical types, epidemiology, and treatment,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 494–502, 2012.
- E. Sarifakioglu, D. Seçkin, M. Demirbilek, and F. Can, “In vitro antifungal susceptibility patterns of dermatophyte strains causing tinea unguium,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 675–679, 2007.
- E. White, “Life, death, and the pursuit of apoptosis,” Genes and Development, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1996.
- E. P. Armour, D. McEachern, Z. Wang, P. M. Corry, and A. Martinez, “Sensitivity of human cells to mild hyperthermia,” Cancer Research, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 2740–2744, 1993.
- E. Cuende, J. E. Ales-Martinez, L. Ding, M. Gonzalez-Garcia, -A. C. Martinez, and G. Nunez, “Programmed cell death by bcl-2-dependent and independent mechanisms in B lymphoma cells,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1555–1560, 1993.
- G. Deng and E. R. Podack, “Suppression of apoptosis in a cytotoxic T-cell line by interleukin 2- mediated gene transcription and deregulated expression of the protooncogene bcl-2,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 2189–2193, 1993.
- C. Carney, W. Cantrell, J. Warner, and B. Elewski, “Treatment of onychomycosis using a submillisecond 1064-nm neodymium: yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 578–582, 2013.
- H. Hees, C. Raulin, and W. Bäumler, “Laser treatment of onychomycosis: an in vitro pilot study,” Journal der Deutschen Dermatologischen Gesellschaft, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 913–918, 2012.
- J. A. Ledon, J. Savas, K. Franca, A. Chacon, and K. Nouri, “Laser and light therapy for onychomycosis: a systematic review,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 578–582, 2013.
- R. N. Zhang, D. K. Wang, F. L. Zhuo, X. H. Duan, X. Y. Zhang, and J. Y. Zhao, “Long-pulse Nd: YAG, 1064-nm laser treatment for onychomycosis,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 125, no. 18, pp. 3288–3291, 2012.
- L. G. Hochman, “Laser treatment of onychomycosis using a novel 0.65-millisecond pulsed Nd:YAG 1064-nm laser,” Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 2–5, 2011.
- E. Bornstein, W. Hermans, S. Gridley, and J. Manni, “Near-infrared photoinactivation of bacteria and fungi at physiologic temperatures,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 1364–1374, 2009.