- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 496913, 7 pages
Skin Cancer Knowledge, Beliefs, Self-Efficacy, and Preventative Behaviors among North Mississippi Landscapers
1Department of Health, Exercise Science & Recreation Management, University of Mississippi, 215 Turner Center, P.O. Box 1848, Oxford, MS 38677, USA
2Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, College of Public Health, Kent State University, 750 Hilltop Drive, Kent, OH 44242, USA
Received 9 July 2013; Accepted 25 August 2013
Academic Editor: Ashfaq A. Marghoob
Copyright © 2013 Vinayak K. Nahar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Saraiya, K. Glanz, P. A. Briss et al., “Interventions to prevent skin cancer by reducing exposure to ultraviolet radiation: a systematic review,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 422–466, 2004.
- L. C. Pichon, J. A. Mayer, D. J. Slymen, J. P. Elder, E. C. Lewis, and G. R. Galindo, “Ethnoracial differences among outdoor workers in key sun-safety behaviors,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 374–378, 2005.
- P. Gies and J. Wright, “Measured solar ultraviolet radiation exposures of outdoor workers in Queensland in the building and construction industry,” Journal of Photochemical Photobiology, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 342–348, 2003.
- T. Batra, “The invisible risk of ultraviolet rays at outdoor workplaces,” International Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2010.
- M. L. Stock, M. Gerrard, F. X. Gibbons et al., “Sun protection intervention for highway workers: long-term efficacy of UV photography and skin cancer information on men's protective cognitions and behavior,” Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 225–236, 2009.
- K. Glanz, D. B. Buller, and M. Saraiya, “Reducing ultraviolet radiation exposure among outdoor workers: state of the evidence and recommendations,” Environmental Health, vol. 6, article 22, 2007.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2013, http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2008-144/pdfs/2008-144.pdf.
- K. Glanz, B. K. Rimer, and F. M. Lewis, Eds., Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research and Practice, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 4th edition, 2008.
- A. Bandura, “Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change,” Psychological Review, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 191–215, 1977.
- B. Marlenga, “The health beliefs and skin cancer prevention practices of Wisconsin dairy farmers,” Oncology Nursing Forum, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 681–686, 1995.
- V. Hammond, A. I. Reeder, A. R. Gray, and M. L. Bell, “Are workers or their workplaces the key to occupational sun protection?” Health Promotion Journal of Australia, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 97–101, 2008.
- J. A. Shoveller, C. Y. Lovato, L. Peters, and J. K. Rivers, “Canadian national survey on sun exposure and protective behaviours: outdoor workers,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 34–35, 2000.
- K. D. Rosenman, J. Gardiner, G. M. Swanson, P. Mullan, and Z. Zhu, “Use of skin-cancer prevention strategies among farmers and their spouses,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 342–347, 1995.
- R. Salas, J. A. Mayer, and K. D. Hoerster, “Sun-protective behaviors of California farmworkers,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1244–1249, 2005.
- D. von Ah, S. Ebert, N. Park, A. Ngamvitroj, and D. H. Kang, “Predictors of health behaviours in college students,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 463–474, 2004.
- D. von Ah, S. A. Ebert, N. Park, A. Ngamvitroj, and D. H. Kang, “Factors related to cigarette smoking initiation and use among college students,” Prevention of Tobacco Induced Diseases, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 27–40, 2005.
- E. C. Lewis, J. A. Mayer, and D. Slymen, “Postal workers' occupational and leisure-time sun safety behaviors,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 2006.
- P. Gies, K. Glanz, D. O'Riordan, T. Elliott, and E. Nehl, “Measured occupational solar UVR exposures of lifeguards in pool settings,” The American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 645–653, 2009.
- B. M. Stepanski and J. A. Mayer, “Solar protection behaviors among outdoor workers,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 1998.
- D. V. Jewell, Evidence Based Physical Therapist Practice, Jones & Bartlett Learning, Sudbury, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 2011.
- J. Cioffi, L. Wilkes, and J. Hartcher-O'Brien, “Outdoor workers and sun protection: knowledge and behavior,” The Australian Journal of Construction Economics and Building, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 10–14, 2002.
- P. Madgwick, J. Houdmont, and R. Randall, “Sun safety measures among construction workers in Britain,” Occupational Medicine, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 430–433, 2011.
- C. S. Koblenzer, “The psychology of sun-exposure and tanning,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 421–428, 1998.
- S. L. Pagoto, K. L. Schneider, J. Oleski, J. S. Bodenlos, P. Merriam, and Y. Ma, “Design and methods for a cluster randomized trial of the sunless study: a skin cancer prevention intervention promoting sunless tanning among beach visitors,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 50, 2009.
- R. L. Parrott, C. Steiner, and L. Coldenhar, “Georgia's harvesting healthy habits: a formative evaluation,” Journal of Rural Health, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 291–300, 1996.
- T. Woolley, P. G. Buettner, and J. Lowe, “Sun-related behaviors of outdoor working men with a history of non-melanoma skin cancer,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 847–854, 2002.
- S. M. Mahon, “Skin cancer prevention: education and public health issues,” Seminars in Oncology Nursing, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 52–61, 2003.
- R. L. Parrott and R. Lemieux, “When the worlds of work and wellness collide: the role of familial support on skin cancer control,” Journal of Family Communication, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 95–106, 2003.
- P. B. Mullein, J. C. Gardiner, K. Roseninan, Z. Zhu, and G. M. Swanson, “Skin cancer prevention and detection practices in a Michigan farm population following an educational intervention,” Journal of Rural Health, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 311–320, 1996.
- R. M. Borland, B. Hocking, G. A. Godkin, A. F. Gibbs, and D. J. Hill, “The impact of a skin cancer control education package for outdoor workers,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 154, no. 10, pp. 686–688, 1991.
- J. D. Robinson, K. J. Silk, R. L. Parrott, C. Steiner, S. M. Morris, and C. Honeycutt, “Healthcare providers' sun-protection promotion and at-risk clients' skin-cancer-prevention outcomes,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 251–257, 2004.