- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 618269, 6 pages
Effect of Narrow Band Ultraviolet B Therapy versus Methotrexate on Serum Levels of Interleukin-17 and Interleukin-23 in Egyptian Patients with Severe Psoriasis
1Department of Dermatology, Venereology, and Andrology, Ain Shams University, Abassya Square, Cairo 11566, Egypt
2Department of Dermatology and Venereology, National Research Center, El-Bhoos Street, Dokki, Giza 12622, Egypt
3Department of Medical Biochemistry, National Research Center, El-Bhoos Street, Dokki, Giza 12622, Egypt
Received 27 June 2013; Revised 4 October 2013; Accepted 7 October 2013
Academic Editor: H. Honigsmann
Copyright © 2013 Tarek Mahmoud Elghandour et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Lowes, T. Kikuchi, J. Fuentes-Duculan et al., “Psoriasis vulgaris lesions contain discrete populations of Th1 and Th17 T cells,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 1207–1211, 2008.
- S. Shibata, Y. Tada, N. Kanda et al., “Possible roles of IL-27 in the pathogenesis of psoriasis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 1034–1039, 2010.
- C. Dong, “TH17 cells in development: an updated view of their molecular identity and genetic programming,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 337–348, 2008.
- H. Y. Chiu, Y. P. Cheng, and T. F. Tsai, “T helper type 17 in psoriasis: from basic immunology to clinical practice,” Dermatologica Sinica, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 136–141, 2012.
- E. Fitch, E. Harper, I. Skorcheva, S. E. Kurtz, and A. Blauvelt, “Pathophysiology of psoriasis: recent advances on IL-23 and TH17 cytokines,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 461–467, 2007.
- G. Erkin, Y. Uğur, C. K. Gürer et al., “Effect of PUVA, narrow-band UVB and cyclosporin on inflammatory cells of the psoriatic plaque,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 213–219, 2007.
- L. M. Johnson-Huang, M. Suárez-Farĩas, M. Sullivan-Whalen, P. Gilleaudeau, J. G. Krueger, and M. A. Lowes, “Effective narrow-band UVB radiation therapy suppresses the IL-23/IL-17 axis in normalized psoriasis plaques,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 130, no. 11, pp. 2654–2663, 2010.
- M. Caproni, E. Antiga, L. Melani, W. Volpi, E. Del Bianco, and P. Fabbri, “Serum levels of IL-17 and IL-22 are reduced by etanercept, but not by acitretin, in patients with psoriasis: a randomized-controlled trial,” Journal of Clinical Immunology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 210–214, 2009.
- C. Yue, X. You, L. Zhao et al., “The effects of adalimumab and methotrexate treatment on peripheral Th17 cells and IL-17/IL-6 secretion in rheumatoid arthritis patients,” Rheumatology International, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1553–1557, 2010.
- J. Meephansan, K. Ruchusatsawat, W. Sindhupak, P. S. Thorner, and J. Wongpiyabovorn, “Effect of methotrexate on serum levels of IL-22 in patients with psoriasis,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 501–504, 2011.
- T. Fredriksson and U. Pettersson, “Severe psoriasis—oral therapy with a new retinoid,” Dermatologica, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 238–244, 1978.
- M. D. Zanolli, S. R. Felmam, A. R. Clark, and A. B. Fleicher, “Psoriasis ultraviolet B, (UVB) phototherapy by skin type,” in Phototherapy Treatment Protocols, D. Z. Michael and R. F. Steven, Eds., pp. 8–12, The Parthenon Publishing Group, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 2000.
- P. Di Meglio and F. O. Nestle, “The role of IL-23 in the immunopathogenesis of psoriasis,” F1000 Biology Reports, vol. 2, no. 1, article 40, 2010.
- E. Rácz, E. P. Prens, D. Kurek et al., “Effective treatment of psoriasis with narrow-band UVB phototherapy is linked to suppression of the IFN and Th17 pathways,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 131, no. 7, pp. 1547–1558, 2011.
- S. Coimbra, H. Oliveira, F. Reis et al., “Interleukin (IL)-22, IL-17, IL-23, IL-8, vascular endothelial growth factor and tumour necrosis factor-α levels in patients with psoriasis before, during and after psoralen-ultraviolet A and narrowband ultraviolet B therapy,” The British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 1282–1290, 2010.
- J. M. Carrascosa, G. Tapia, I. Bielsa, M. Fuente, and C. Ferrandiz, “Effects of narrowband UV-B on pharmacodynamic markers of response to therapy: an immunohistochemical study over sequential samples,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 769–776, 2007.
- B. M. Aufiero, H. Talwar, C. Young et al., “Narrow-band UVB induces apoptosis in human keratinocytes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 132–139, 2006.
- M. Tjioe, T. Smits, P. C. M. van de Kerkhof, and M. J. P. Gerritsen, “The differential effect of broad band versus narrow band UVB with respect to photodamage and cutaneous inflammation,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 729–733, 2003.
- G. Piskin, U. Tursen, R. M. R. Sylva-Steenland, J. D. Bos, and M. B. M. Teunissen, “Clinical improvement in chronic plaque-type psoriasis lesions after narrow-band UVB therapy is accompanied by a decrease in the expression of IFN-γ inducers—IL-12, IL-18 and IL-23,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 764–772, 2004.
- J. G. Krueger, J. T. Wolfe, R. T. Nabeya et al., “Successful ultraviolet B treatment of psoriasis is accompanied by a reversal of keratinocyte pathology and by selective depletion of intraepidermal T cells,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 2057–2068, 1995.
- G. Piskin, R. M. R. Sylva-Steenland, J. D. Bos, and M. B. M. Teunissen, “T cells in psoriatic lesional skin that survive conventional therapy with NB-UVB radiation display reduced IFN-γ expression,” Archives of Dermatological Research, vol. 295, no. 12, pp. 509–516, 2004.
- G. Piskin, C. W. Koomen, D. Picavet, J. D. Bos, and M. B. M. Teunissen, “Ultraviolet-B irradiation decreases IFN-γ and increases IL-4 expression in psoriatic lesional skin in situ and in cultured dermal T cells derived from these lesions,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 172–180, 2003.
- S. Eyerich, K. Eyerich, D. Pennino et al., “Th22 cells represent a distinct human T cell subset involved in epidermal immunity and remodeling,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 12, pp. 3573–3585, 2009.
- R. J. Rentenaar, V. M. R. Heydendael, F. N. J. van Diepen, M. A. de Rie, and I. J. M. T. Berge, “Systemic treatment with either cyclosporin A or methotrexate does not influence the T helper 1/T helper 2 balance in psoriatic patients,” Journal of Clinical Immunology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 361–369, 2004.
- O. Arican, M. Aral, S. Sasmaz, and P. Ciragil, “Serum levels of TNF-α, IFN-γ, IL-6, IL-8, IL-12, IL-17, and IL-18 in patients with active psoriasis and correlation with disease severity,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2005, no. 5, pp. 273–279, 2005.
- H. Takahashi, H. Tsuji, Y. Hashimoto, A. Ishida-Yamamoto, and H. Iizuka, “Serum cytokines and growth factor levels in Japanese patients with psoriasis,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 645–649, 2010.