- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Dermatology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 795932, 5 pages
The Effect of Weight Loss in Obese Patients with Chronic Stable Plaque-Type Psoriasis
1Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
2Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Vajira Hospital, University of Bangkok Metropolis, Bangkok 10300, Thailand
3Division of Nutrition and Biochemical Medicine, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Received 15 July 2013; Accepted 18 August 2013
Academic Editor: Luigi Naldi
Copyright © 2013 Wanjarus Roongpisuthipong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. L. Neimann, D. B. Shin, X. Wang, D. J. Margolis, A. B. Troxel, and J. M. Gelfand, “Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with psoriasis,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 829–835, 2006.
- W. Sterry, B. E. Strober, and A. Menter, “Obesity in psoriasis: the metabolic, clinical and therapeutic implications. Report of an interdisciplinary conference and review,” The British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 649–655, 2007.
- L. Naldi, L. Chatenoud, D. Linder et al., “Cigarette smoking, body mass index, and stressful life events as risk factors for psoriasis: results from an Italian case-control study,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 61–67, 2005.
- P. Hossain, B. Kawar, and M. El Nahas, “Obesity and diabetes in the developing world—a growing challenge,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 3, pp. 213–215, 2007.
- B. Balkau, M. Vernay, L. Mhamdi et al., “The incidence and persistence of the NCEP (National Cholesterol Education Program) metabolic syndrome. The French D.E.S.I.R. study,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 526–532, 2003.
- G. S. Hotamisligil, “Inflammation and metabolic disorders,” Nature, vol. 444, no. 7121, pp. 860–867, 2006.
- P. Gisondi, G. Tessari, A. Conti et al., “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in patients with psoriasis: a hospital-based case-control study,” The British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 2007.
- J. M. Gelfand, A. L. Neimann, D. B. Shin, X. Wang, D. J. Margolis, and A. B. Troxel, “Risk of myocardial infarction in patients with psoriasis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 14, pp. 1735–1741, 2006.
- Y.-J. Chen, C.-Y. Wu, J.-L. Shen et al., “Psoriasis independently associated with hyperleptinemia contributing to metabolic syndrome,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 144, no. 12, pp. 1571–1575, 2008.
- S. E. Shoelson, J. Lee, and A. B. Goldfine, “Inflammation and insulin resistance,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 7, pp. 1793–1801, 2006.
- E. L. Madsen, A. Rissanen, J. M. Bruun et al., “Weight loss larger than 10% is needed for general improvement of levels of circulating adiponectin and markers of inflammation in obese subjects: a 3-year weight loss study,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 179–187, 2008.
- T. Fredriksson and U. Pettersson, “Severe psoriasis—oral therapy with a new retinoid,” Dermatologica, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 238–244, 1978.
- R. G. Langley and C. N. Ellis, “Evaluating psoriasis with psoriasis area and severity index, psoriasis global assessment, and lattice system physician's global assessment,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 563–569, 2004.
- Y. Hongbo, C. L. Thomas, M. A. Harrison, M. S. Salek, and A. Y. Finlay, “Translating the science of quality of life into practice: what do dermatology life quality index scores mean?” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 659–664, 2005.
- S. R. Feldman and G. G. Krueger, “Psoriasis assessment tools in clinical trials,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 64, supplement 2, pp. ii65–ii68, 2005.
- R. Shikiar, B. W. Bresnahan, S. P. Stone, C. Thompson, J. Koo, and D. A. Revicki, “Validity and realiability of patient reported outcomes used in psoriasis: results from two randomized clinical trials,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, article 53, 2003.
- G. Higa-Sansone, S. Szomstein, F. Soto, O. Brasecsco, C. Cohen, and R. J. Rosenthal, “Psoriasis remission after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1132–1134, 2004.
- J. E. M. T. de Menezes Ettinger, E. Azaro, C. A. M. de Souza et al., “Remission of psoriasis after open gastric bypass,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 94–97, 2006.
- P. Gisondi, M. del Giglio, V. Di Francesco, M. Zamboni, and G. Girolomoni, “Weight loss improves the response of obese patients with moderate-to-severe chronic plaque psoriasis to low-dose cyclosporine therapy: a randomized, controlled, investigator-blinded clinical trial,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 1242–1247, 2008.