- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 671279, 7 pages
Predictors of Maternal Depression Management among Primary Care Physicians
1Colorado School of Public Health, 13001 E 17th Place, Mailstop B119, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
2Columbia University, USA
3Colorado State University, USA
4Eastern Virginia Medical School, USA
Received 19 August 2009; Accepted 4 January 2010
Academic Editor: John R. Seeley
Copyright © 2010 Jenn A. Leiferman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. W. O'Hara and A. M. Swain, “Rates and risk of postpartum depression—a meta-analysis,” International Review of Psychiatry, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 37–54, 1996.
- W. R. Beardslee, E. M. Versage, and T. R. G. Gladstone, “Children of affectively Ill parents: a review of the past 10 years,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1134–1141, 1998.
- A. S. Carter, F. E. Garrity-Rokous, R. Chazan-Cohen, C. Little, and M. J. Briggs-Gowan, “Maternal depression and comorbidity: predicting early parenting, attachment security, and toddler social-emotional problems and competencies,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 18–26, 2001.
- S. H. Goodman and I. H. Gotlib, “Risk for psychopathology in the children of depressed mothers: a developmental model for understanding mechanisms of transmission,” Psychological Review, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 458–490, 1999.
- R. S. Kahn, B. Zuckerman, H. Bauchner, C. J. Homer, and P. H. Wise, “Women's health after pregnancy and child outcomes at age 3 years: a prospective cohort study,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 1312–1318, 2002.
- B. Zuckerman, H. Bauchner, S. Parker, and H. Cabral, “Maternal depressive symptoms during pregnancy, and newborn irritability,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 190–194, 1990.
- J. Leiferman, “The effect of maternal depressive symptomatology on maternal behaviors associated with child health,” Health Education and Behavior, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 596–607, 2002.
- J. D. McLennan and M. Kotelchuck, “Parental prevention practices for young children in the context of maternal depression,” Pediatrics, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 1090–1095, 2000.
- M. C. Lovejoy, P. A. Graczyk, E. O'Hare, and G. Neuman, “Maternal depression and parenting behavior: a meta-analytic review,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 561–592, 2000.
- G. Downey and J. C. Coyne, “Children of depressed parents: an integrative review,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 50–76, 1990.
- C. E. Schwartz, D. J. Dorer, W. R. Beardslee, P. W. Lavori, and M. B. Keller, “Maternal expressed emotion and parental affective disorder: risk for childhood depressive disorder, substance abuse, or conduct disorder,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 231–250, 1990.
- M. M. Weissman, B. A. Prusoff, G. D. Gammon, K. R. Merikangas, J. F. Leckman, and K. K. Kidd, “Psychopathology in the children (ages 6–18) of depressed and normal parents,” Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 1984.
- M. M. Weissman, K. John, K. R. Merikangas, et al., “Depressed parents and their children: general health, social, and psychiatric problems,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 140, no. 8, pp. 801–805, 1986.
- M. M. Weissman, G. D. Gammon, K. John, et al., “Children of depressed parents: increased psychopathology and early onset of major depression,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 847–853, 1987.
- L. H. Chaudron, P. G. Szilagyi, H. J. Kitzman, H. I. M. Wadkins, and Y. Conwell, “Detection of postpartum depressive symptoms by screening at well-child visits,” Pediatrics, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 551–558, 2004.
- A. M. Heneghan, L. H. Chaudron, A. Storfer-Isser, et al., “Factors associated with identification and management of maternal depression by pediatricians,” Pediatrics, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 444–454, 2007.
- K. A. Yonkers and S. J. Chantilis, “Recognition of depression in obstetric/gynecology practices,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 632–638, 1995.
- E. R. Brown, R. Wyn, W. G. Cumberland, et al., Women's Health-Related Behaviors and Use of Clinical Preventive Services, The Commonwealth Fundamentals, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1995.
- R. S. Kahn, P. H. Wise, J. A. Finkelstein, H. H. Bernstein, J. A. Lowe, and C. J. Homer, “The scope of unmet maternal health needs in pediatric settings,” Pediatrics, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 576–581, 1999.
- J. A. Leiferman, S. E. Dauber, K. Heisler, and J. F. Paulson, “Primary care physicians' beliefs and practices toward maternal depression,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1143–1150, 2008.
- A. M. Heneghan, E. J. Silver, L. J. Bauman, and R. E. K. Stein, “Do pediatricians recognize mothers with depressive symptoms?” Pediatrics, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 1367–1373, 2000.
- L. S. Goldman, N. H. Nielsen, and H. C. Champion, “Awareness, diagnosis, and treatment of depression,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 569–580, 1999.
- J. W. Williams Jr., K. Rost, A. J. Dietrich, M. C. Ciotti, S. J. Zyzanski, and J. Cornell, “Primary care physicians' approach to depressive disorders effects of physician specialty and practice structure,” Archives of Family Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 58–67, 1999.
- I. M. Rosenstock, “Why people use health services,” The Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 94–127, 1966.
- U. Bronfenbrenner, “Toward an experimental ecology of human development,” American Psychologist, vol. 32, pp. 515–531, 1977.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, “The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1173–1182, 1986.
- L. Hu and P. M. Bentler, “Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives,” Structural Equation Modeling, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–55, 1999.
- B. Muthén and L. Muthén, Mplus (Version 5.0), Muthen & Muthen, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 2007.
- A. L. Olson, K. J. Kemper, K. J. Kelleher, C. S. Hammond, B. S. Zuckerman, and A. J. Dietrich, “Primary care pediatricians' roles and perceived responsibilities in the identification and management of maternal depression,” Pediatrics, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 1169–1176, 2002.
- T. Baranowski, J. C. Baranowski, K. W. Cullen, et al., “The fun, food, and fitness project (FFFP): the Baylor GEMS pilot study,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. S1-30–S1-39, 2003.
- A. Bandura, Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1986.
- D. L. Fixsen, S. F. Naoom, K. A. Blasé, R. M. Friedman, and F. Wallace, Implementation Research: A Synthesis of the Literature (FMHI #231), University of South Florida, Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute, The National Implementation Research Network, Tampa, Fla, USA, 2005.
- H. A. Pincus, L. Hough, J. K. Houtsinger, B. L. Rollman, and R. G. Frank, “Emerging models of depression care: multi-level (‘6 P’) strategies,” International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 54–63, 2003.
- C. Cook, F. Heath, and R. L. Thompson, “A meta-analysis of response rates in Web- or Internet-based surveys,” Educational and Psychological Measurement, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 821–836, 2000.
- A. L. Olson, A. J. Dietrich, G. Prazar, and J. Hurley, “Brief maternal depression screening at well-child visits,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 207–216, 2006.