- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 123642, 8 pages
A Review on Assessment and Treatment for Depression in Malaysia
1Department of Psychiatry, Faculty Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2School of Psychology and CBT Unit, Toowong Private Hospital, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Received 28 January 2011; Revised 10 May 2011; Accepted 9 June 2011
Academic Editor: Harm W. J. van Marwijk
Copyright © 2011 Firdaus Mukhtar and Tian P. S. Oei. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Depression,” 2010, http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/definition.
- E. Chiu, “Epidemiology of depression in the Asia Pacific region,” Australasian Psychiatry, vol. 12, pp. S4–S10, 2004.
- Malaysian Psychiatric Association, “Consensus statement on management of depression,” Community programme on depression, 2004http://www.psychiatry-malaysia.org.
- M. P. Deva, “Depressive illness—the need for a paradigm shift in its understanding and management,” Medical Journal of Malaysia, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 4–6, 2006.
- T. P. S. Oei and G. Dingle, “The effectiveness of group cognitive behaviour therapy for unipolar depressive disorders,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 107, no. 1–3, pp. 5–21, 2008.
- S. M. Stahl and N. Muntner, Essential Psychopharmacology of Depression and Bipolar, Essential Psychopharmacology Series, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- L. A. Robinson, J. S. Berman, and R. A. Neimeyer, “Psychotherapy for the treatment of depression: a comprehensive review of controlled outcome research,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 30–49, 1990.
- L. W. Thompson, D. W. Coon, D. Gallagher-Thompson, B. R. Sommer, and D. Koin, “Comparison of desipramine and cognitive/behavioral therapy in the treatment of elderly outpatients with mild-to-moderate depression,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 225–240, 2001.
- A. T. Beck, “Cognitive models of depression,” Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, vol. 1, pp. 5–37, 1987.
- A. T. Beck, A. J. Rush, B. F. Shaw, and G. Emery, Cognitive Therapy of Depression, Guilford, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- R. J. DeRubeis, S. D. Hollon, W. M. Grove, M. D. Evans, M. J. Garvey, and V. B. Tuason, “How does cognitive therapy work? Cognitive change and symptom change in cognitive therapy and pharmacotherapy for depression,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 862–869, 1990.
- K. S. Dobson, “A meta-analysis of the efficacy of cognitive therapy for depression,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 414–419, 1989.
- D. A. Haaga, M. J. Dyck, and D. Ernst, “Empirical status of cognitive theory of depression,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 215–236, 1991.
- T. P. S. Oei, K. Bullbeck, and J. M. Campbell, “Cognitive change process during group cognitive behaviour therapy for depression,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 92, no. 2-3, pp. 231–241, 2006.
- T. P. S. Oei and M. L. Free, “Do cognitive behaviour therapies validate cognitive models of mood disorder? A review of the empirical evidence,” International Journal of Psychology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 145–179, 1995.
- S. M. Razali and C. I. Hasanah, “Cost-effectiveness of cyclic antidepressants in a developing country,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 283–284, 1999.
- J. Hodges and T. P. S. Oei, “Would Confucius benefit from psychotherapy? The compatibility of cognitive behaviour therapy and Chinese values,” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 901–914, 2007.
- G. Parker, Y. C. Cheah, and K. Roy, “Do the Chinese somatize depression? A cross-cultural study,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 287–293, 2001.
- K. F. Quek, W. Y. Low, A. H. Razack, and C. S. Loh, “Beck Depression Inventory (BDI): a reliability and validity test in the Malaysian urological population,” Medical Journal of Malaysia, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 285–292, 2001.
- M. N. Azah, M. E. M. Shah, S. Juwita, J. S. Bakri, W. M. W. M. Rushidi, and Y. M. Jamil, “Validation of the Malay version brief Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) among adult attending family medicine clinics,” International Medical Journal, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 259–263, 2005.
- T. P. S. Oei and F. Mukhtar, “Exploratory and confirmatory factor validation and psychometric properties of the Automatic Thoughts Questionnaire for Malays (ATQ-Malay) in Malaysia,” Hong Kong Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 92–100, 2008.
- F. Mukhtar and T. P. S. Oei, “Exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis and psychometric properties of Beck Depression Inventory-Malay,” Malaysian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 17, no. 1, 2008.
- F. Mukhtar and T. P. S. Oei, “Exploratory and confirmatory factor validation of the Dysfunctional Attitude Scale for Malays (DAS-Malay) in Malaysia,” Asian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 145–151, 2010.
- T. H. Woon and C. L. Teoh, “Psychotherapeutic management of a potential spirit medium,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 10, no. 1A, pp. 125–128, 1976.
- S. B. Ong and C. T. Lee, “A double-blind comparison of nomifensine and amitriptyline in the treatment of depression,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 198–207, 1981.
- S. K. Indran, “Preliminary experience with moclobemide for the treatment of depressive disorders in Malaysia,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 189–190, 1995.
- M. Z. Azhar and S. L. Varma, “Religious psychotherapy in depressive patients,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 63, no. 3-4, pp. 165–168, 1995.
- S. Razali, “Depression and witchcraft induced psychosomatic symptoms,” European Psychiatry, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 420–421, 1997.
- S. M. Razali, C. I. Hasanah, K. Aminah, and M. Subramaniam, “Religious-sociocultural psychotherapy in patients with anxiety and depression,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 867–872, 1998.
- S. M. Razali and C. I. Hasanah, “Somatization of depression: prevalence and characteristics features,” International Medical Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 1999.
- S. M. Razali, “Masked depression: an ambiguous diagnosis,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 34, no. 1, p. 167, 2000.
- K. S. Ng and P. Stevens, “Creating a caring society: counseling in Malaysia before 2020 AD,” Asian Journal of Counselling, vol. 8, pp. 87–101, 2001.
- F. Mukhtar, T. P. S. Oei, and M. J. Yaacob, “Effectiveness of group cognitive behaviour therapy augmentation in reducing negative cognitions in the treatment of depression in Malaysia,” ASEAN Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 12, 2011.
- M. Ramli, M. A. Salmiah, and M. Nurul Ain, “Validation and psychometric properties of bahasa Malaysia version of the Depression Anxiety and Stress Scale (DASS) among diabetic patients,” Malaysian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 18, no. 2, 2009.
- M. Ramli, R. Roszaman, A. Kartini, and S. Rosnani, “Concurrent validity of the depression and anxiety components in the Bahasa Malaysia version of the Depression Anxiety and Stress Scale (DASS),” ASEAN Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 12, no. 1, 2011.
- M. Z. Azhar, K. O. N. Noorjan, and J. O. Zubaidah, “Comparison of different antidepressant and psychotherapy in the short-term treatment of depression,” Malaysian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 16, no. 2, 2007.
- S. Hatta, “Islam and psychiatry in Malaysia,” in Mental Health in Malaysia: Issues and Concerns, A. Haque, Ed., University Malaya of Press, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2002.
- A. Zain, “Mental illness and Malay culture: a study of Kelantan Malays,” in Mental Health in Malaysia: Issues and Concern, A. Haque, Ed., University of Malaya Press, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2001.
- C. H. Lim, S. Singh, Y. C. Cheah, E. L. Seow, and T. P. S. Oei, The Development and Validation of a Malaysian Mental Health Screening Instrument: The Saringan Status Kesihatan Mental -20 (SSKM-20), Ministry of Health, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2011.