- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 257472, 9 pages
Exercise for Adolescents with Depressive Disorders: A Feasibility Study
1Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Section, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2700, USA
2Departments of Psychiatry and Psychology, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2700, USA
3Sleep and Chronophysiology Laboratory, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2700, USA
Received 28 March 2012; Revised 22 May 2012; Accepted 24 May 2012
Academic Editor: Amy Kilbourne
Copyright © 2012 Richard R. Dopp et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kovacs, “Presentation and course of major depressive disorder during childhood and later years of the life span,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 705–715, 1996.
- J. Puig-Antich, J. Kaufman, N. D. Ryan et al., “The psychosocial functioning and family environment of depressed adolescents,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 244–253, 1993.
- B. Birmaher, D. Brent, W. Bernet, et al., “Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with depressive disorders,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 1503–1526, 2007.
- D. Brent, G. Emslie, G. Clarke et al., “Switching to another SSRI or to venlafaxine with or without cognitive behavioral therapy for adolescents with SSRI-resistant depression: the TORDIA randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 8, pp. 901–913, 2008.
- J. March, S. Silva, B. Vitiello, et al., “The Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS): methods and message at 12 weeks,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1393–1403, 2006.
- T. A. Hammad, T. Laughren, and J. Racoosin, “Suicidality in pediatric patients treated with antidepressant drugs,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 332–339, 2006.
- A. M. Libby, D. A. Brent, E. H. Morrato, H. D. Orton, R. Allen, and R. J. Valuck, “Decline in treatment of pediatric depression after FDA advisory on risk of suicidality with SSRIs,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 884–891, 2007.
- J. A. Blumenthal, M. A. Babyak, P. M. Doraiswamy et al., “Exercise and pharmacotherapy in the treatment of major depressive disorder,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 587–596, 2007.
- A. L. Dunn, M. H. Trivedi, J. B. Kampert, C. G. Clark, and H. O. Chambliss, “Exercise treatment for depression: efficacy and dose response,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2005.
- L. Larun, L. V. Nordheim, E. Ekeland, K. B. Hagen, and F. Heian, “Exercise in prevention and treatment of anxiety and depression among children and young people,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 3, Article ID CD004691, 2006.
- R. W. Motl, A. S. Birnbaum, M. Y. Kubik, and R. K. Dishman, “Naturally occurring changes in physical activity are inversely related to depressive symptoms during early adolescence,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 336–342, 2004.
- K. Patrick, J. F. Sallis, J. J. Prochaska et al., “A multicomponent program for nutrition and physical activity change in primary care: PACE+ for adolescents,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 155, no. 8, pp. 940–946, 2001.
- A. L. Dunn and P. Weintraub, “Exercise in the prevention and treatment of adolescent depression: a promising but little researched intervention,” American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 507–518, 2008.
- S. M. Sawyer and R. A. Aroni, “Self-management in adolescents with chronic illness. What does it mean and how can it be achieved?” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 183, no. 8, pp. 405–409, 2005.
- A. J. Romero, “Low-income neighborhood barriers and resources for adolescents' physical activity,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 253–259, 2005.
- L. B. Robbins, N. J. Pender, and A. S. Kazanis, “Barriers to physical activity perceived by adolescent girls,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 206–212, 2003.
- K. A. Henderson and B. E. Ainsworth, “A synthesis of perceptions about physical activity among older African American and American Indian women,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 313–317, 2003.
- C. S. Duarte, A. Sourander, G. Nikolakaros et al., “Child mental health problems and obesity in early adulthood,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 2010.
- S. Mustillo, C. Worthman, A. Erkanli, G. Keeler, A. Angold, and E. J. Costello, “Obesity and psychiatric disorder: developmental trajectories,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 851–859, 2003.
- M. H. Trivedi, T. L. Greer, B. D. Grannemann, H. O. Chambliss, and A. N. Jordan, “Exercise as an augmentation strategy for treatment of major depression,” Journal of Psychiatric Practice, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 205–213, 2006.
- P. R. E. Crocker, D. A. Bailey, R. A. Faulkner, K. C. Kowalski, and R. Mcgrath, “Measuring general levels of physical activity: preliminary evidence for the physical activity questionnaire for older children,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1344–1349, 1997.
- K. F. Janz, E. M. Lutuchy, P. Wenthe, and S. M. Levy, “Measuring activity in children and adolescents using self-report: PAQ-C and PAQ-A,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 767–772, 2008.
- K. C. Kowalski, P. R. E. Crocker, and N. P. Kowalski, “Convergent validity of the physical activity questionnaire for adolescents,” Pediatric Exercise Science, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 342–352, 1997.
- E. O. Poznanski and H. Mokros, Children's depression rating scale revised (CDRS-R), Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1996.
- S. Jain, T. J. Carmody, M. H. Trivedi et al., “A psychometric evaluation of the CDRS and MADRS in assessing depressive symptoms in children,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1204–1212, 2007.
- E. O. Poznanski and H. Mokros, “Children's depression rating scale revised (CDRS-R)—manual (w-242),” 1996, http://portal.wpspublish.com/portal/page?_pageid=53,69676&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL.
- A. J. Rush, “The 16-item Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (QIDS), clinician rating (QIDS-C), and self-report (QIDS-SR): a psychometric evalution in patients with chronic major depression,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 54, no. 5, p. 585, 2003.
- I. H. Bernstein, A. J. Rush, M. H. Trivedi et al., “Psychometric properties of the Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology in adolescents,” International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 185–194, 2010.
- Actigraphy, http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/homehealth/sleep/actiwatch/default.wpd.
- CDC Teen BMI Calculator, http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Earlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 1988.
- C. W. Hughes, G. J. Emslie, M. L. Crismon et al., “Texas children's medication algorithm project: update from Texas consensus conference panel on medication treatment of childhood major depressive disorder,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 667–686, 2007.
- B. Vitiello, “Ethical considerations in psychopharmacological research involving children and adolescents,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 86–91, 2003.
- D. S. Charney, C. B. Nemeroff, L. Lewis et al., “National depressive and manic-depressive association consensus statement on the use of placebo in clinical trials of mood disorders,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 262–270, 2002.
- M. A. Posternak and I. Miller, “Untreated short-term course of major depression: a meta-analysis of outcomes from studies using wait-list control groups,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 66, no. 2-3, pp. 139–146, 2001.