- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 257858, 9 pages
Building a Community-Academic Partnership: Implementing a Community-Based Trial of Telephone Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Rural Latinos
1School of Social Work, University of Washington, 4101 15th Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
2West Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Medical Center and David Geffen School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
3Rand Corporation, 1776 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401-3208, USA
4Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic, Behavioral Health Services, 918 E. Mead, Yakima, WA 98902, USA
5Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative Research Department, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Received 25 June 2012; Accepted 21 August 2012
Academic Editor: Mark S. Bauer
Copyright © 2012 Eugene Aisenberg et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Alegría, P. Chatterji, K. Wells et al., “Disparity in depression treatment among racial and ethnic minority populations in the United States,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1264–1272, 2008.
- C. Blanco, S. R. Patel, L. Liu et al., “National trends in ethnic disparities in mental health care,” Medical Care, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1012–1019, 2007.
- I. T. Lagomasino, M. Dwight-Johnson, J. Miranda, et al., “Disparities in depression treatment for latinos and site of care,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1517–1523, 2005.
- Institute of Medicine, Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
- (DHHS), United States Department of Health and Human Services, Mental Health: Culture, Race, and Ethnicity: A Supplement To Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General, Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Mental Health Services, Rockville, Md, USA, 2001.
- T. Sentell, M. Shumway, and L. Snowden, “Access to mental health treatment by English language proficiency and race/ethnicity,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 289–293, 2007.
- W. A. Vega, B. Kolody, S. Aguilar-Gaxiola, and R. Catalano, “Gaps in service utilization by Mexican Americans with mental health problems,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 156, no. 6, pp. 928–934, 1999.
- A. S. Young, R. Klap, C. D. Sherbourne, and K. B. Wells, “The quality of care for depressive and anxiety disorders in the United States,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 2001.
- P. A. Areán, L. Ayalon, E. Hunkeler et al., “Improving depression care for older, minority patients in primary care,” Medical Care, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 381–390, 2005.
- J. Miranda and L. A. Cooper, “Disparities in care for depression among primary care patients,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 120–126, 2004.
- J. Miranda, G. Bernal, A. Lau, L. Kohn, W. C. Hwang, and T. LaFromboise, “State of the science on psychosocial interventions for ethnic minorities,” Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, vol. 1, pp. 113–142, 2005.
- E. J. Mullen and D. L. Streiner, “The evidence for and against evidence-based practice,” Brief Treatment and Crisis Intervention, vol. 4, pp. 111–121, 2004.
- E. Aisenberg, “Evidence-based practice in mental health care to ethnic minority communities: has its practice fallen short of its evidence?” Social Work, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 297–306, 2008.
- E. Aisenberg and J. Robinson, “Adult ethnic minority,” in Mental Health Best Practices for Vulnerable Populations, A. Strode, Ed., pp. 51–62, University Press, Spokane, Wash, USA, 2004.
- J. Miranda, W. Lawson, J. Escobar et al., “Ethnic minorities,” Mental Health Services Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 231–237, 2002.
- American Psychiatric Association, Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Major Depressive Disorder, American Psychiatric Publishing, Washington, DC, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- K. B. Wells, A. Staunton, K. C. Norris et al., “Building an academic-community partnered network for clinical services research: the Community Health Improvement Collaborative (CHIC),” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. S1-3–S1-17, 2006.
- New Freedom Commission on Mental Health, “Achieving the promise: transforming mental health care in America,” Final Report SMA-03-3832, DHHS, Rockville, Md, USA, 2003.
- V. Ybarra, “Applying Evidence-Based Practice in Communities of Color,” Prevention Webinar Presented by the Federal Interagency Work Group on Child Abuse and Neglect, 2008, http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/fediawg/webinars/applying.pdf.
- J. G. Ford, M. W. Howerton, G. Y. Lai et al., “Barriers to recruiting underrepresented populations to cancer clinical trials: a systematic review,” Cancer, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 228–242, 2008.
- S. L. Syme, Social Determinants of Health: the Community as an Empowered Partner. Preventing Chronic Disease, Public Health Research and Policy, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2004.
- B. Chung, L. Jones, E. L. Dixon, J. Miranda, K. Wells, and Community Partners in Care Steering Council, “Using a community partnered participatory research approach to implement a randomized controlled trial: planning community partners in care,” Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 780–795, 2010.
- M. Alegría, Y. Wong, N. Mulvaney-Day et al., “Community-based partnered research: new directions in mental health services research,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 21, pp. S1-8–S1-16, 2011.
- M. Dwight-Johnson, E. Aisenberg, D. Golinelli, S. Hong, M. O'Brien, and E. Ludman, “Telephone-based cognitive-behavioral therapy for Latino patients living in rural areas: a randomized pilot study,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 936–942, 2011.
- S. Kvale, Interviews: An Introduction to Qualitative Research Interviewing, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 1996.
- H. R. Bernard, Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2002.
- J. P. Spradley, The Ethnographic Interview, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- B. G. Glaser, Theoretical Sensitivity: Advances in the Methodology of Grounded Theory, The Sociology Press, Mill Valley, Calif, USA, 1978.
- G. E. Simon, E. J. Ludman, S. Tutty, B. Operskalski, and M. Von Korff, “Telephone psychotherapy and telephone care management for primary care patients starting antidepressant treatment: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 8, pp. 935–942, 2004.
- M. Dwight-Johnson, I. T. Lagomasino, E. Aisenberg, and J. Hay, “Using conjoint analysis to assess depression treatment preferences among low-income Latinos,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 934–936, 2004.
- H. A. Tinsley-Jones, “Racism in our midst: listening to psychologists of color,” Professional Psychology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 573–580, 2001.
- K. Ell, B. Vourlekis, J. Nissly et al., “Integrating mental health screening and abnormal cancer screening follow-up: an intervention to reach low-income women,” Community Mental Health Journal, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 311–325, 2002.
- J. Miranda, J. Y. Chung, B. L. Green et al., “Treating depression in predominantly low-income young minority women: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 1, pp. 57–65, 2003.
- National Institute of Mental Health, “The Road Ahead. Research partnerships to transform services, 2006,” 2006, http://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/advisory-boards-and-groups/namhc/reports/road-ahead.pdf.
- B. A. Holland, S. Gelmon, L. W. Green, E. Greene-Moton, and T. K. Stanton, “Community-University Partnerships: What do we Know?” 2003, http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/pdf_files/symposium_report%20(1).pdf.
- M. I. Harris, “Racial and ethnic differences in health insurance coverage for adults with diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1679–1682, 1999.
- C. Diez-Quevedo, T. Rangil, L. Sanchez-Planell, K. Kroenke, and R. L. Spitzer, “Validation and utility of the patient health questionnaire in diagnosing mental disorders in 1003 general hospital Spanish inpatients,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 679–686, 2001.
- J. D. Piette, “Perceived access problems among patients with diabetes in two public systems of care,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 797–804, 2000.
- J. Miranda and M. L. Bruce, “Gender issues and socially disadvantaged women,” Mental Health Services Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 249–253, 2002.
- J. Miranda and B. L. Green, “The need for mental health services research focusing on poor young women,” Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics, vol. 2, pp. 73–80, 1999.
- P. Ruiz, “The role of culture in psychiatric care,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 155, no. 12, pp. 1763–1765, 1998.
- K. Ell and I. Castaneda, “Health care seeking behavior,” in Handbook on Immigrant Health, S. Loue, Ed., Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- J. Miranda, K. C. Organista, F. Azocar, R. F. Muñoz, and A. Lieberman, “Recruiting and retaining low-income Latinos in psychotherapy research,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 868–874, 1996.
- J. A. Sirey, M. L. Bruce, G. S. Alexopoulos et al., “Perceived stigma as a predictor of treatment discontinuation in young and older outpatients with depression,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 479–481, 2001.
- D. S. Brody, A. A. Khaliq, and T. L. Thompson II, “Patients' perspectives on the management of emotional distress in primary care settings,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 403–406, 1997.
- L. Ku and S. Matani, “Left out: immigrants' access to health care and insurance,” Health Affairs, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 247–256, 2001.
- B. D. Smedley, A. Y. Stith, A. R. Nelson, and Institute of Medicine (U.S.), Committee on Understanding and Eliminating Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care, Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.