- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 676784, 9 pages
Depression Treatment Patterns among Elderly with Cancer
1School of Social Work, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
2Department of Biostatistics, MD Anderson Cancer Center, The University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, USA
3Department of Pharmaceutical Systems and Policy, School of Pharmacy, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
4Department of Community Health and Preventive Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Received 2 March 2012; Revised 5 July 2012; Accepted 8 July 2012
Academic Editor: Harm W. J. van Marwijk
Copyright © 2012 Patricia A. Findley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Cancer Policy Forum/Institute of Medicine, Cancer in Elderly People: Workshop Proceedings, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- Center for Disease Control, “Cancer survivors in the United States, 2007,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 269–296, 2011.
- B. D. Smith, G. L. Smith, A. Hurria, G. N. Hortobagyi, and T. A. Buchholz, “Future of cancer incidence in the United States: burdens upon an aging, changing nation,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 17, pp. 2758–2765, 2009.
- M. I. Weinberger, A. J. Roth, and C. J. Nelson, “Untangling the complexities of depression diagnosis in older cancer patients,” Oncologist, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 60–66, 2009.
- M. J. Massie, “Prevalence of depression in patients with cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Monographs, no. 32, pp. 57–71, 2004.
- F. D. Ashbury, L. Madlensky, P. Raich et al., “Antidepressant prescribing in community cancer care,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 278–285, 2003.
- A. S. Young, R. Klap, C. D. Sherbourne, and K. B. Wells, “The quality of care for depressive and anxiety disorders in the United States,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 2001.
- C. Buck, 2010 ICD-9-CM For Hospitals, vol. 1–3, Saunders, Maryland Heights, Mo, USA, 2010.
- U. Sambamoorthi, B. Bean-Mayberry, P. A. Findley, E. M. Yano, and R. Banerjea, “Organization of care and diagnosed depression among women veterans,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 657–665, 2010.
- AHFS Drug Information 2009, micromedex online, facts and comparisons, 2011, http://www.ahfsdruginformation.com/.
- W. Wei, U. Sambamoorthi, M. Olfson, J. T. Walkup, and S. Crystal, “Use of psychotherapy for depression in older adults,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 162, no. 4, pp. 711–717, 2005.
- U. Sambamoorthi, M. Olfson, J. T. Walkup, and S. Crystal, “Diffusion of new generation antidepressant treatment among elderly diagnosed with depression,” Medical Care, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 180–194, 2003.
- S. Crystal, U. Sambamoorthi, J. T. Walkup, and A. Akincigil, “Diagnosis and treatment of depression in the elderly medicare population: predictors, disparities, and trends,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 1718–1728, 2003.
- BMI Classification [Internet], 2011, http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html.
- SAS Institute Inc., SAS 9. 2, 2009.
- A. Akincigil, M. Olfson, J. T. Walkup et al., “Diagnosis and treatment of depression in older community-dwelling adults: 1992–2005,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1042–1051, 2011.
- C. S. Mackenzie, W. L. Gekoski, and V. J. Knox, “Age, gender, and the underutilization of mental health services: the influence of help-seeking attitudes,” Aging and Mental Health, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 574–582, 2006.
- R. G. Hood, “Confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care,” Academic Medicine, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 584–585, 2001.
- A. Nelson, “Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 666–668, 2002.
- T. D. Sequist, “Ensuring equal access to specialty care,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 364, no. 23, pp. 2258–2259, 2011.
- M. A. Andrykowski and J. L. Burris, “Use of formal and informal mental health resources by cancer survivors: differences between rural and nonrural survivors and a preliminary test of the theory of planned behavior,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1148–1155, 2010.
- S. C. Marcus and M. Olfson, “National trends in the treatment for depression from 1998 to 2007,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 1265–1273, 2010.
- M. S. Klinkman, “Competing demands in psychosocial care: a model for the identification and treatment of depressive disorders in primary care,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 98–111, 1997.
- L. E. Jones and C. C. Doebbeling, “Suboptimal depression screening following cancer diagnosis,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 547–554, 2007.
- M. Extermann and A. Hurria, “Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older patients with cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 14, pp. 1824–1831, 2007.
- A. Rao and H. J. Cohen, “Symptom management in the elderly cancer patient: fatigue, pain, and depression,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Monographs, no. 32, pp. 150–157, 2004.
- B. Starfield, L. Shi, and J. Macinko, “Contribution of primary care to health systems and health,” Milbank Quarterly, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 457–502, 2005.
- L. Traeger and W. F. Pirl, “Approaching the treatment of depression in elderly cancer patients,” Aging Health, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 393–403, 2010.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- M. Bazargan and V. P. Hamm-Baugh, “The relationship between chronic illness and depression in a community of urban black elderly persons,” Journals of Gerontology B, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. S119–S127, 1995.
- M. Olfson and S. C. Marcus, “National patterns in antidepressant medication treatment,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 848–856, 2009.
- J. Mitchell and D. Weatherey, “Beyond church attendance: religiosity and mental health among rural older adults,” Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 37–54, 2000.
- National Quality Measures Clearinghouse [Internet], http://www.qualitymeasures.ahrq.gov/summary/summary.aspx?ss=1&doc_id=11488.
- J. A. Poisal, “Reporting of drug expenditures in the MCBS,” Health Care Financing Review, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 23–36, 2003.
- C. M. Blanchette, L. Simoni-Wastila, F. Shaya, D. Orwig, J. Noel, and B. Stuart, “Health care use in depressed, elderly, cardiac patients and the effect of antidepressant use,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 366–372, 2009.
- L. E. Egede, C. Ellis, and A. L. Grubaugh, “The effect of depression on self-care behaviors and quality of care in a national sample of adults with diabetes,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 422–427, 2009.
- P. Findley, C. Shen, and U. Sambamoorthi, “Multimorbidity and persistent depression among veterans with diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension,” Health & Social Work, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 109–119, 2011.
- J. M. Gill, M. S. Klinkman, and Y. X. Chen, “Antidepressant medication use for primary care patients with and without medical comorbidities: a national electronic health record (EHR) network study,” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 499–508, 2010.
- K. M. Schneider, B. E. O'Donnell, and D. Dean, “Prevalence of multiple chronic conditions in the United States' Medicare population,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 7, article 82, 2009.
- C. C. Earle, “Failing to plan is planning to fail: improving the quality of care with survivorship care plans,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 32, pp. 5112–5116, 2006.