- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 860745, 11 pages
Quality of Life in Bipolar Type I Disorder in a One-Year Followup
1Department of Psychiatry, Roozbeh Hospital, South Kargar Avenue, Tehran 1333795914, Iran
2Psychiatry and Psychology Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 1333795914, Iran
Received 12 June 2012; Revised 10 December 2012; Accepted 13 December 2012
Academic Editor: Janusz K. Rybakowski
Copyright © 2012 Homayoun Amini and Vandad Sharifi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. J. L. Murray, A. D. Lopez, and D. T. Jamison, “The global burden of disease in 1990: summary results, sensitivity analysis and future directions,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 495–509, 1994.
- B. B. Dean, D. Gerner, and R. H. Gerner, “A systematic review evaluating health-related quality of life, work impairment, and health-care costs and utilization in bipolar disorder,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 139–154, 2004.
- R. D. Hays, B. G. Vickrey, B. P. Hermann et al., “Agreement between self reports and proxy, reports of quality of life in epilepsy patients,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 159–168, 1995.
- L. Hansson, “Determinants of quality of life in people with severe mental illness,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 113, supplement 429, pp. 46–50, 2006.
- E. E. Michalak, L. N. Yatham, and R. W. Lam, “Quality of life in bipolar disorder: a review of the literature,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 3, p. 72, 2005.
- M. A. Namjoshi and D. P. Buesching, “A review of the health-related quality of life literature in bipolar disorder,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 105–115, 2001.
- E. E. Michalak, E. M. Tam, C. V. Manjunath, A. J. Levitt, R. D. Levitan, and R. W. Lam, “Quality of life in patients with seasonal affective disorder: summer versus winter scores,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 292–295, 2005.
- R. G. Cooke, J. C. Robb, L. T. Young, and R. T. Joffe, “Well-being and functioning in patients with bipolar disorder assessed using the MOS 20-ITEM short form (SF-20),” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 93–97, 1996.
- G. M. MacQueen, L. T. Young, J. C. Robb, R. G. Cooke, and R. T. Joffe, “Levels of functioning and well-being in recovered psychotic versus nonpsychotic mania,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 69–72, 1997.
- G. M. MacQueen, L. T. Young, J. C. Robb, M. Marriott, R. G. Cooke, and R. T. Joffe, “Effect of number of episodes on wellbeing and functioning of patients with bipolar disorder,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 374–381, 2000.
- L. N. Yatham, Y. Lecrubier, R. R. Fieve, K. H. Davis, S. D. Harris, and A. A. Krishnan, “Quality of life in patients with bipolar I depression: data from 920 patients,” Bipolar Disorders, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 379–385, 2004.
- A. S. Bellack, R. L. Morrison, K. T. Mueser, and J. Wade, “Social competence in schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and negative and non-negative schizophrenia,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 2, no. 4-5, pp. 391–401, 1989.
- P. K. Chand, S. K. Mattoo, and P. Sharan, “Quality of life and its correlates in patients with bipolar disorder stabilized on lithium prophylaxis,” Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 311–318, 2004.
- A. Martínez-Arán, R. Penadés, E. Vieta et al., “Executive function in patients with remitted bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and its relationship with functional outcome,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2002.
- L. S. Grossman, M. Harrow, J. F. Goldberg, and C. G. Fichtner, “Outcome of schizoaffective disorder at two long-term follow-ups: comparisons with outcome of schizophrenia and affective disorders,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 148, no. 10, pp. 1359–1365, 1991.
- M. Atkinson, S. Zibin, and H. Chuang, “Characterizing quality of life among patients with chronic mental illness: a critical examination of the self-report methodology,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 99–105, 1997.
- J. Russo, P. Roy-Byrne, D. Reeder et al., “Longitudinal assessment of quality of life in acute psychiatric inpatients: reliability and validity,” The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 166–175, 1997.
- L. L. Judd, P. J. Schettler, H. S. Akiskal et al., “Long-term symptomatic status of bipolar I versus bipolar II disorders,” International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2003.
- The WHOQOL Group, “The World Health Organization Quality of Life Assessment (WHOQOL): position paper from the World Health Organization,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1403–1409, 1995.
- S. Nedjat, A. Montazeri, K. Holakouie, K. Mohammad, and R. Majdzadeh, “Psychometric properties of the Iranian interview-administered version of the World Health Organization's Quality of Life Questionnaire (WHOQOL-BREF): a population-based study,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 8, p. 61, 2008.
- R. C. Young, J. T. Biggs, V. E. Ziegler, and D. A. Meyer, “A rating scale for mania: reliability, validity and sensitivity,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 133, no. 11, pp. 429–435, 1978.
- M. Hamilton, “A rating scale for depression,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, vol. 23, pp. 56–62, 1960.
- M. Hamilton, “Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness,” The British Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 278–296, 1967.
- J. Endicott, R. L. Spitzer, J. L. Fleiss, and J. Cohen, “The global assessment scale. A procedure for measuring overall severity of psychiatric disturbance,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 766–771, 1976.
- S. H. Jones, G. Thornicroft, M. Coffey, and G. Dunn, “A brief mental health outcome scale. Reliability and validity of the global assessment of functioning (GAF),” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 166, pp. 654–659, 1995.
- W. Guy, ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology—Revised (DHEW Publ No ADM 76-338), U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration, NIMH Psychopharmacology Research Branch, Division of Extramural Research Programs, Rockville, Md, USA, 1976.
- C. F. Yen, C. P. Cheng, C. F. Huang, J. Y. Yen, C. H. Ko, and C. S. Chen, “Quality of life and its association with insight, adverse effects of medication and use of atypical antipsychotics in patients with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in remission,” Bipolar Disorders, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 617–624, 2008.
- S. Brissos, V. V. Dias, A. I. Carita, and A. Martinez-Arán, “Quality of life in bipolar type I disorder and schizophrenia in remission: clinical and neurocognitive correlates,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 55–62, 2008.
- C. A. Depp, C. E. Davis, D. Mittal, T. L. Patterson, and D. V. Jeste, “Health-related quality of life and functioning of middle-aged and elderly adults with bipolar disorder,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 215–221, 2006.
- S. I. Saarni, S. Viertiö, J. Perälä, S. Koskinen, J. Lönnqvist, and J. Suvisaari, “Quality of life of people with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and other psychotic disorders,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 197, no. 5, pp. 386–394, 2010.
- S. Özer, A. Uluşahin, S. Batur, E. Kabakçi, and M. C. Saka, “Outcome measures of interepisode bipolar patients in Turkish sample,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2002.
- V. V. Dias, S. Brissos, B. N. Frey, and F. Kapczinski, “Insight, quality of life and cognitive functioning in euthymic patients with bipolar disorder,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 110, no. 1-2, pp. 75–83, 2008.
- M. A. Namjoshi, R. Risser, L. Shi, M. Tohen, and A. Breier, “Quality of life assessment in patients with bipolar disorder treated with olanzapine added to lithium or valproic acid,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 223–229, 2004.
- L. Shi, M. A. Namjoshi, F. Zhang et al., “Olanzapine versus haloperidol in the treatment of acute mania: clinical outcomes, health-related quality of life and work status,” International Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 227–237, 2002.
- H. Zhang, S. R. Wisniewski, M. S. Bauer, G. S. Sachs, and M. E. Thase, “Comparisons of perceived quality of life across clinical states in bipolar disorder: data from the first 2000 Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD) participants,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 161–168, 2006.
- L. Gutiérrez-Rojas, M. Gurpegui, J. L. Ayuso-Mateos, J. A. Gutiérrez-Ariza, M. Ruiz-Veguilla, and D. Jurado, “Quality of life in bipolar disorder patients: a comparison with a general population sample,” Bipolar Disorders, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 625–634, 2008.
- M. S. Bauer, G. F. Kirk, C. Gavin, and W. O. Williford, “Determinants of functional outcome and healthcare costs in bipolar disorder: a high-intensity follow-up study,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 231–241, 2001.
- C. Vojta, B. Kinosian, H. Glick, L. Altshuler, and M. S. Bauer, “Self-reported quality of life across mood states in bipolar disorder,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 190–195, 2001.
- K. Thunedborg, C. H. Black, and P. Bech, “Beyond the Hamilton depression scores in long-term treatment of manic-melancholic patients: prediction of recurrence of depression by quality of life measurements,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 64, no. 3-4, pp. 131–140, 1995.
- N. M. Simon, M. W. Otto, S. R. Wisniewski et al., “Anxiety disorder comorbidity in bipolar disorder patients: data from the first 500 participants in the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD),” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 161, no. 12, pp. 2222–2229, 2004.
- M. S. Bauer, L. Altshuler, D. R. Evans, T. Beresford, W. O. Williford, and R. Hauger, “Prevalence and distinct correlates of anxiety, substance, and combined comorbidity in a multi-site public sector sample with bipolar disorder,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 301–315, 2005.
- U. Albert, G. Rosso, G. Maina, and F. Bogetto, “Impact of anxiety disorder comorbidity on quality of life in euthymic bipolar disorder patients: differences between bipolar I and II subtypes,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 105, no. 1–3, pp. 297–303, 2008.
- M. Kauer-Sant'Anna, B. N. Frey, A. C. Andreazza et al., “Anxiety comorbidity and quality of life in bipolar disorder patients,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 175–181, 2007.
- H. H. Fenn, M. S. Bauer, L. Alshuler et al., “Medical comorbidity and health-related quality of life in bipolar disorder across the adult age span,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 47–60, 2005.
- J. F. Goldberg and M. Harrow, “Subjective life satisfaction and objective functional outcome in bipolar and unipolar mood disorders: a longitudinal analysis,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 89, no. 1–3, pp. 79–89, 2005.
- J. Tsevat, P. E. Keck, R. W. Hornung, and S. L. McElroy, “Health values of patients with bipolar disorder,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 579–586, 2000.
- F. K. Gazalle, P. C. Hallal, A. C. Andreazza et al., “Manic symptoms and quality of life in bipolar disorder,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2007.
- D. A. Revicki, L. S. Matza, E. Flood, and A. Lloyd, “Bipolar disorder and health-related quality of life: review of burden of disease and clinical trials,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 583–594, 2005.