- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 140169, 6 pages
Temperament, Character, and Depressive Symptoms during Pregnancy: A Study of a Japanese Population
1Division of Health Sciences & Nursing, Department of Midwifery and Women’s Health, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
2Kitamura Institute of Mental Health Tokyo, 101 Akasaka 8-5-13, Minato, Tokyo 107-0052, Japan
3Nagoya University, 65 Tsurumai-cho, Showa, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8550, Japan
4Department of Women’s Health and Mother-Child Nursing, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, 4-24-1 Kuhonji, Chuo, Kumamoto 862-0976, Japan
5Aso Health Center, 1204 Uchimaki, Aso, Kumamoto 869-2301, Japan
Received 5 September 2013; Accepted 2 December 2013
Academic Editor: Claude Robert Cloninger
Copyright © 2013 Mariko Minatani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Mental Health World Mental Health Day, 2012, http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/wfmh_paper_depression_wmhd_2012.pdf.
- L. S. Goldman, N. H. Nielsen, and H. C. Champion, “Awareness, diagnosis, and treatment of depression,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 569–580, 1999.
- S. Kasen, P. Cohen, H. Chen, and D. Castille, “Depression in adult women: age changes and cohort effects,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 2061–2066, 2003.
- H. S. Akiskal, R. M. A. Hirschfeld, and B. I. Yerevanian, “The relationship of personality to affective disorders. A critical review,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 801–810, 1983.
- R. M. A. Hirschfeld, G. L. Klerman, P. J. Clayton, and M. B. Keller, “Personality and depression. Empirical findings,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 993–998, 1983.
- P. Jylhä and E. Isometsä, “Temperament, character and symptoms of anxiety and depression in the general population,” European Psychiatry, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 389–395, 2006.
- T. Matsudaira and T. Kitamura, “Personality traits as risk factors of depression and anxiety among Japanese students,” Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 97–109, 2006.
- D. N. Klein, R. Kotov, and S. J. Bufferd, “Personality and depression: explanatory models and review of the evidence,” Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, vol. 7, pp. 269–295, 2011.
- C. R. Cloninger, D. M. Svrakic, and T. R. Przybeck, “A psychobiological model of temperament and character,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 975–990, 1993.
- C. R. Cloninger, T. R. Przybeck, D. M. Svrakic, and R. D. Wetzel, The Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI): A Guide to Its Development and Use, Center for Psychobiology of Personality, Washington University, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 1994.
- F. C. Celikel, S. Kose, B. E. Cumurcu et al., “Cloninger's temperament and character dimensions of personality in patients with major depressive disorder,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 556–561, 2009.
- C. R. Cloninger, D. M. Svrakic, and T. R. Przybeck, “Can personality assessment predict future depression? A twelve-month follow-up of 631 subjects,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 2006.
- R. F. Farmer and J. R. Seeley, “Temperament and character predictors of depressed mood over a 4-year interval,” Depression and Anxiety, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 371–381, 2009.
- K. Furumura, T. Koide, T. Okada et al., “Prospective study on the association between harm avoidance and postpartum depressive state in a maternal cohort of Japanese women,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e34725, 2012.
- F. G. Nery, J. P. Hatch, M. A. Nicoletti et al., “Temperament and character traits in major depressive disorder: influence of mood state and recurrence of episodes,” Depression and Anxiety, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 382–388, 2009.
- E. Tanaka, N. Kijima, and T. Kitamura, “Correlations between the temperament and character inventory and the self-rating depression scale among Japanese students,” Psychological Reports, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 251–254, 1997.
- L. Evans, H. S. Akiskal, P. E. Keck Jr. et al., “Familiality of temperament in bipolar disorder: support for a genetic spectrum,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 85, no. 1-2, pp. 153–168, 2005.
- A. Farmer, A. Mahmood, K. Redman, T. Harris, S. Sadler, and P. McGuffin, “A sib-pair study of the temperament and character inventory scales in major depression,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 490–496, 2003.
- M. Hansenne, J. Reggers, E. Pinto, K. Kjiri, A. Ajamier, and M. Ansseau, “Temperament and character inventory (TCI) and depression,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 1999.
- M. Ghazinour, J. Richter, and M. Eisemann, “Personality related to coping and social support among Iranian refugees in Sweden,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 191, no. 9, pp. 595–603, 2003.
- D. M. Goncalves and C. R. Cloninger, “Validation and normative studies of the Brazilian Portuguese and American versions of the Temperament and Character Inventory—Revised (TCI-R),” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 124, no. 1-2, pp. 126–133, 2010.
- P. Jylhä, O. Mantere, T. Melartin et al., “Differences in temperament and character dimensions in patients with bipolar I or II or major depressive disorder and general population subjects,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1579–1591, 2011.
- O. Minaya and A. Fresán, “Anxiety disorders comorbidity in first-episode depressed patients: personality differences based on the temperament and character inventory,” Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 522–526, 2009.
- Y. Osher, C. R. Cloninger, and R. H. Belmaker, “TPQ in euthymic manic-depressive patients,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 353–357, 1996.
- Y. Osher, E. Lefkifker, and M. Kotler, “Low persistence in euthymic manic-depressive patients: a replication,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 87–90, 1999.
- R. Tillman, B. Geller, J. L. Craney et al., “Temperament and character factors in a prepubertal and early adolescent bipolar disorder phenotype compared to attention deficit hyperactive and normal controls,” Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 531–543, 2003.
- A. Josefsson, C. Larsson, G. Sydsjö, and P.-O. Nylander, “Temperament and character in women with postpartum depression,” Archives of Women's Mental Health, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2007.
- T. Kitamura, S. Shima, M. Sugawara, and M. A. Toda, “Clinical and psychosocial correlates of antenatal depression: a review,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 117–123, 1996.
- B. M. Y. Leung and B. J. Kaplan, “rinatal depression: prevalence, risks, and the nutrition link—a review of the literature,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 1566–1575, 2009.
- R. Bunevicius, L. Kusminskas, A. Bunevicius, R. J. Nadisauskiene, K. Jureniene, and V. J. M. Pop, “Psychosocial risk factors for depression during pregnancy,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 599–605, 2009.
- A. M. Wangel, B. Schei, and E. L. Ryding, “Mental health status in pregnancy among native and non-native Swedish-speaking women: a Bidens study,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 1395–1401, 2012.
- S. Grigoriadis, E. H. VonderPorten, L. Mamisashvili et al., “The impact of maternal depression during pregnancy on perinatal outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 321–341, 2013.
- N. K. Grote, J. A. Bridge, A. R. Gavin, J. L. Melville, S. Iyengar, and W. J. Katon, “A meta-analysis of depression during pregnancy and the risk of preterm birth, low birth weight, and intrauterine growth restriction,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 1012–1024, 2010.
- M. A. Byrn and S. Penckofer, “Antenatal depression and gestational diabetes: a review of maternal and fetal outcomes,” Nursing for Women's Health, vol. 17, pp. 22–33, 2013.
- T. Kitamura, K. Yoshida, T. Okano et al., “Multicentre prospective study of perinatal depression in Japan: incidence and correlates of antenatal and postnatal depression,” Archives of Women's Mental Health, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 121–130, 2006.
- E. Andriola, M. di Trani, A. Grimaldi, and R. Donfrancesco, “The relationship between personality and depression in expectant parents,” Depression Research and Treatment, vol. 2011, Article ID 356428, 5 pages, 2011.
- J. L. Cox, J. M. Holden, and R. Sagovsky, “Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 150, pp. 782–786, 1987.
- T. Okano, M. Murata, F. Masuji et al., “Validation and reliability of Japanese version of EPDS (Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale),” Archives of Psychiatric Diagnostics and Clinical Evaluation, vol. 7, pp. 525–533, 1996 (Japanese).
- N. Kijima, R. Saito, M. Takeuchi et al., “Cloninger's seven-factor model of temperament and character and Japanese version of Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI),” Archives of Psychiatric Diagnostics and Clinical Evaluation, vol. 7, pp. 379–399, 1996 (Japanese).
- N. Kijima, E. Tanaka, N. Suzuki, H. Higuchi, and T. Kitamura, “Reliability and validity of the Japanese version of the temperament and character inventory,” Psychological Reports, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 1050–1058, 2000.
- M. Takeuchi, H. Miyaoka, A. Tomoda, M. Suzuki, X. Lu, and T. Kitamura, “Validity and reliability of the Japanese version of the Temperament and Character Inventory: a study of university and college students,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 109–117, 2011.
- J. A. Harley, J. E. Wells, C. M. A. Frampton, and P. R. Joyce, “Bipolar disorder and the TCI: higher self-transcendence in bipolar disorder compared to major depression,” Depression Research and Treatment, vol. 2011, Article ID 529638, 6 pages, 2011.
- C. Maggini, P. Ampollini, C. Marchesi, S. Gariboldi, and C. R. Cloninger, “Relationships between tridimensional personality questionnaire dimensions and DSM-III-R personality traits in Italian Adolescents,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 426–431, 2000.
- M. Zimmerman and W. Coryell, “DSM-III personality disorder diagnoses in a nonpatient sample. Demographic correlates and comorbidity,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 682–689, 1989.
- F. Neziroglu, R. Anemone, and J. A. Yaryura-Tobias, “Onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder in pregnancy,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 149, no. 7, pp. 947–950, 1992.
- S. L. Brown, D. M. Svrakic, T. R. Przybeck, and C. R. Cloninger, “The relationship of personality to mood and anxiety states: a dimensional approach,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 197–211, 1992.
- R. Klein, Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling, Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2005.
- T. Kitamura, S. Fujihara, N. Iwata, A. Tomoda, and N. Kawakami, “Epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in Japan,” in Images in Psychiatry: Japan, Y. Nakane and M. Radford, Eds., pp. 37–46, NHA Communications, World Psychiatric Association, Paris, France, 1999.