- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 341782, 6 pages
Prevalence and Impact of Anxiety and Depression on Type 2 Diabetes in Tunisian Patients over Sixty Years Old
1Department of Psychiatry A, University Medical Center Hédi Chaker, 3000 Sfax, Tunisia
2Department of Functional Exploration and Metabolic Diseases, University Medical Center Habib Bourguiba, 3000 Sfax, Tunisia
3Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Fattouma Bourguiba, 5000 Monastir, Tunisia
Received 14 February 2013; Revised 27 May 2013; Accepted 30 May 2013
Academic Editor: H. Grunze
Copyright © 2013 Jawaher Masmoudi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Ben Ferjani and A. Ben Brahim, “Demographic developments in Tunisia and its impact on the labor market and human resources policies,” Mediterranean Federation of Human Resources, 2012, http://www.fmrh.org/.
- Evaluation of the Nutritional Status of the Tunisian Population, “National survey 1996/1997,” National Report, Ministry of Public Health, Tunisia.
- C. Maraldi, S. Volpato, B. W. Penninx et al., “Diabetes mellitus, glycemic control, and incident depressive symptoms among 70- to 79-year-old persons: the health, aging, and body composition study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 11, pp. 1137–1144, 2007.
- J. Dirmaier, B. Watzke, U. Koch et al., “Diabetes in primary care: prospective associations between depression, nonadherence and glycemic control,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 172–178, 2010.
- A. S. Rigaud, C. Bayle, F. Latour et al., “Psychiatry of the elderly,” EMC: Psychiatrie, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 259–281, 2005.
- C. Lloyd, “The impact of diabetes on depression and depression on diabetes,” Diabetesvoice, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 23–26, 2008.
- S. Baudic, L. Traykov, A. S. Rigaud, and P. Césaro, “Place and role of neuropsychological exam in elderly depression,” Revue de Medecine Interne, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 637–642, 2005.
- R. Trouillet and M. C. Gély-Nargeot, “Depression of elderly persons and defence mechanisms in nursing homes,” Annales Medico-Psychologiques, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 119–126, 2009.
- J. Y. Guo, C. C. Han, and Y. M. Liu, “A contemporary treatment approach to both diabetes and depression by cordyceps sinensis, Rich in Vanadium,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 387–389, 2010.
- M. D. Pawaskar, R. T. Anderson, and R. Balkrishnan, “Self-reported predictors of depressive symptomatology in an elderly population with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 5, article 50, 2007.
- D. G. Bruce, W. A. Davis, S. E. Starkstein, and T. M. E. Davis, “A prospective study of depression and mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes: the fremantle diabetes study,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2532–2539, 2005.
- S. Hardy, M. Scanlan, and R. Gray, “Identifying and managing anxiety and depression in diabetes: a need for training,” Journal of Diabetes Nursing, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 190–195, 2010.
- E. H. B. Lin, C. M. Rutter, W. Katon et al., “Depression and advanced complications of diabetes: a prospective cohort study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 264–269, 2010.
- J. P. Lépine, M. Godchau, P. Brun, and T. Lemperiere, “Assessment of anxiety and depression in patients hospitalized in a department of internal medicine,” Annales Medico-Psychologiques, vol. 143, no. 2, pp. 175–189, 1985.
- T. H. Malasi, I. A. Mirza, and M. F. El-Islam, “Validation of the hospital anxiety and depression scale in arab patients,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 323–326, 1991.
- M. M. Collins, P. Corcoran, and I. J. Perry, “Anxiety and depression symptoms in patients with diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 153–161, 2009.
- D. G. Bruce, W. A. Davis, S. E. Starkstein, and T. M. E. Davis, “A prospective study of depression and mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes: the Fremantle Diabetes Study,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2532–2539, 2005.
- A. Engum, “The role of depression and anxiety in onset of diabetes in a large population-based study,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2007.
- L. C. Brown, S. R. Majumdar, S. C. Newman, and J. A. Johnson, “Type 2 diabetes does not increase risk of depression,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 42–46, 2006.
- T. W. Strine, A. H. Mokdad, S. R. Dube et al., “The association of depression and anxiety with obesity and unhealthy behaviors among community-dwelling US adults,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2008.
- S. H. Golden, “A review of the evidence for a neuroendocrine link between stress, depression and diabetes mellitus,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 252–259, 2007.
- U. Ehlert, J. Gaab, and M. Heinrichs, “Psychoneuroendocrinological contributions to the etiology of depression, posttraumatic stress disorder, and stress-related bodily disorders: the role of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis,” Biological Psychology, vol. 57, no. 1–3, pp. 141–152, 2001.
- S. R. Heckbert, C. M. Rutter, M. Oliver et al., “Depression in relation to long-term control of glycemia, blood pressure, and lipids in patients with diabetes,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 524–529, 2010.
- L. E. Egede and C. Ellis, “The effects of depression on metabolic control and quality of life in indigent patients with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 257–262, 2010.