- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 408983, 5 pages
Short-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy in Patients with “Male Depression” Syndrome, Hopelessness, and Suicide Risk: A Pilot Study
1Department of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Sensory Functions and Department of Psychiatry, Sant'Andrea Hospital, Sapienza University of Rome, 00189 Rome, Italy
2Department of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Sensory Functions and Department of Psychiatry, Suicide Prevention Center, Sant'Andrea Hospital, Sapienza University of Rome, 1035 Via di Grottarossa, 00189 Rome, Italy
3McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA, USA
4Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
5Villa Rosa Medical Research Centre, Viterbo, Italy
Received 20 October 2012; Revised 23 December 2012; Accepted 23 December 2012
Academic Editor: H. Grunze
Copyright © 2013 Gloria Angeletti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organisation, Depression. What is depression?, World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011, http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/definition/en/.
- T. B. Üstün, J. L. Ayuso-Mateos, S. Chatterji, C. Mathers, and C. J. L. Murray, “Global burden of depressive disorders in the year 2000,” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 184, pp. 386–392, 2004.
- D. S. Hasin, R. D. Goodwin, F. S. Stinson, and B. F. Grant, “Epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcoholism and Related Conditions,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 1097–1106, 2005.
- C. Blanco, M. Okuda, J. C. Markowitz, S. M. Liu, B. F. Grant, and D. S. Hasin, “The epidemiology of chronic major depressive disorder and dysthymic disorder: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions,” The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 1645–1656, 2010.
- V. Lehtinen and M. Joukamaa, “Epidemiology of depression: prevalence, risk factors and treatment situation,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 377, pp. 7–10, 1994.
- M. M. Ohayon, “Epidemiology of depression and its treatment in the general population,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 41, no. 3-4, pp. 207–213, 2007.
- D. A. Regier, J. H. Boyd, J. D. Burke Jr. et al., “One-month prevalence of mental disorders in the United States, based on five epidemiologic catchment area sites,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 977–986, 1988.
- R. C. Kessler, P. Berglund, O. Demler et al., “The epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R),” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 23, pp. 3095–3105, 2003.
- J. L. Rushton, M. Forcier, and R. M. Schectman, “Epidemiology of depressive symptoms in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 199–205, 2002.
- D. Blazer, D. C. Hughes, and L. K. George, “The epidemiology of depression in an elderly community population,” The Gerontologist, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 281–287, 1987.
- S. Win, K. Parakh, C. M. Eze-Nliam, J. S. Gottdiener, W. J. Kop, and R. C. Ziegelstein, “Depressive symptoms, physical inactivity and risk of cardiovascular mortality in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study,” Heart, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 500–505, 2011.
- National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health, Depression. The NICE Guideline on the Treatment and Management of Depression in Adults, The British Psychological Society & The Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, UK, 2010.
- M. A. Prins, P. F. M. Verhaak, J. M. Bensing, and K. van der Meer, “Health beliefs and perceived need for mental health care of anxiety and depression—the patients' perspective explored,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1038–1058, 2008.
- M. Zimmerman, I. Chelminski, J. B. McGlinchey, and D. Young, “Diagnosing major depressive disorder X: can the utility of the DSM-IV symptom criteria be improved?” The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 194, no. 12, pp. 893–897, 2006.
- S. V. Parikh, Z. V. Segal, S. Grigoriadis et al., “Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) clinical guidelines for the management of major depressive disorder in adults. II. Psychotherapy alone or in combination with antidepressant medication,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 117, supplement 1, pp. S15–S25, 2009.
- J. K. Salminen, H. Karlsson, J. Hietala et al., “Short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy and fluoxetine in major depressive disorder: a randomized comparative study,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 351–357, 2008.
- E. Driessen, P. Cuijpers, S. C. M. de Maat, A. A. Abbass, F. de Jonghe, and J. J. M. Dekker, “The efficacy of short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy for depression: a meta-analysis,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 25–36, 2010.
- A. A. Abbass, “Intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy of treatment-resistant depression: a pilot study,” Depression and Anxiety, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 449–452, 2006.
- C. Bressi, M. Porcellana, P. M. Marinaccio, E. P. Nocito, and L. Magri, “Short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy versus treatment as usual for depressive and anxiety disorders: a randomized clinical trial of efficacy,” The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 198, no. 9, pp. 647–652, 2010.
- M. J. Hilsenroth, S. J. Ackerman, M. D. Blagys, M. R. Baity, and M. A. Mooney, “Short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy for depression: an examination of statistical, clinically significant, and technique-specific change,” The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 191, no. 6, pp. 349–357, 2003.
- J. Wålinder and W. Rutz, “Male depression and suicide,” International Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 16, supplement 2, pp. S21–S24, 2001.
- W. Rutz, “Improvement of care for people suffering from depression: the need for comprehensive education,” International Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 14, supplement 3, pp. S27–S33, 1999.
- A. M. Moller-Leimkuhler and M. Yucel, “Male depression in females?” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 22–29, 2010.
- A. Rihmer, S. Szilagyi, S. Rozsa, et al., “The role of childhood abuse in adult suicidal behaviour,” Neuropsychopharmacologia Hungarica, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 237–246, 2009.
- M. Pompili, M. Innamorati, D. Lester et al., “Substance abuse, temperament and suicide risk: evidence from a case-control study,” Journal of Addictive Diseases, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2009.
- M. Hamilton, “A rating scale for depression,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, vol. 23, pp. 56–62, 1960.
- D. V. Sheehan, Y. Lecrubier, K. H. Sheehan et al., “The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10,” The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 59, supplement 20, pp. 22–33, 1998.
- A. T. Beck, A. Weissman, D. Lester, and L. Trexler, “The measurement of pessimism: the hopelessness scale,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 861–865, 1974.
- W. Rutz, L. von Knorring, H. Pihlgren, Z. Rihmer, and J. Walinder, “Prevention of male suicides: lessons from Gotland study,” The Lancet, vol. 345, no. 8948, p. 524, 1995.
- R. Strmberg, L. G. Backlund, and M. Lfvander, “A comparison between the Beck's Depression Inventory and the Gotland Male Depression Scale in detecting depression among men visiting a drop-in clinic in primary care,” Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 258–264, 2010.
- F. Zierau, A. Bille, W. Rutz, and P. Bech, “The Gotland Male Depression Scale: a validity study in patients with alcohol use disorder,” Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 265–271, 2002.
- M. Innamorati, Z. Rihmer, M. Amore et al., “Psychometric properties of the Gotland Scale for Depression in Italian psychiatric inpatients and its utility in the prediction of suicide risk,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 132, no. 1-2, pp. 99–103, 2011.
- A. T. Beck, G. Brown, R. J. Berchick, B. L. Stewart, and R. A. Steer, “Relationship between hopelessness and ultimate suicide: a replication with psychiatric outpatients,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 190–195, 1990.
- M. Pompili, P. Iliceto, D. Lester, et al., BHS Beck Hopelessness Scale: Manuale, Giunti O.S. Organizzazioni Speciali, Firenze, Italy, 2009.
- M. Pompili, R. Tatarelli, J. R. Rogers, and D. Lester, “The Hopelessness Scale: a factor analysis,” Psychological Reports, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 375–378, 2007.
- D. H. Malan, Toward the Validation of Dynamic Psychotherapy: A Replication, Plenum Medical Book Co., New York, NY, USA, 1976.
- D. H. Malan and F. Osimo, Psychodynamics, Training, and Outcome in Brief Psychotherapy, Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, Mass, USA, 1992.
- J. Shedler, “The efficacy of psychodynamic psychotherapy,” The American Psychologist, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 98–109, 2010.
- M. M. Linehan, H. L. Heard, and H. E. Armstrong, “Naturalistic follow-up of a behavioral treatment for chronically parasuicidal borderline patients,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 971–974, 1993.
- A. T. Beck and R. A. Steer, Beck Hopelessness Scale—Manual, Harcourt Brace Javanovich, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 1988.
- H. D. Davanloo, Basic Principles and Techiniques in the Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy, Spectrum, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- H. D. Davanloo, Selcted Papers, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- F. Leichsenring, S. Rabung, and E. Leibing, “The efficacy of short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy in specific psychiatric disorders: a meta-analysis,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1208–1216, 2004.
- M. Trujillo, “Intensive dynamic psychotherapy of anxiety and depression,” Primary Psychiatry, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 77–86, 2006.
- P. Crits-Christoph, “The efficacy of brief dynamic psychotherapy: a meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 151–158, 1992.