- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 815456, 6 pages
Symptom Profile and Severity in a Sample of Nigerians with Psychotic versus Nonpsychotic Major Depression
Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Yaba, 8 Harvey Road, PMB 2008, Lagos, Nigeria
Received 1 May 2013; Revised 17 July 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Martin Alda
Copyright © 2013 Increase Ibukun Adeosun and Oyetayo Jeje. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Kessler, T. C. Wai, O. Demler, and E. E. Walters, “Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the national comorbidity survey replication,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 617–627, 2005.
- C. Murray and A. Lopez, The Global Burden of Disease, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1996.
- World Health Organization (WHO), The International Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders, (ICD-10), WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 10th edition, 1992.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 1994.
- M. M. Ohayon and A. F. Schatzberg, “Prevalence of depressive episodes with psychotic features in the general population,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 159, no. 11, pp. 1855–1861, 2002.
- M. Vythilingam, J. Chen, J. D. Bremner, C. M. Mazure, P. K. Maciejewski, and J. C. Nelson, “Psychotic depression and mortality,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 574–576, 2003.
- A. J. Rothschild, “Challenges in the treatment of depression with psychotic features,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 680–690, 2003.
- T. A. Aronson, S. Shukla, K. Gujavarty, A. Hoff, M. DiBuono, and E. Khan, “Relapse in delusional depression: a retrospective study of the course of treatment,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 12–21, 1988.
- B. A. Gaudiano, C. G. Beevers, and I. W. Miller, “Differential response to combined treatment in patients with psychotic versus nonpsychotic major depression,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 193, no. 9, pp. 625–628, 2005.
- A. J. Rothschild, B. H. Mulsant, B. S. Meyers, and A. J. Flint, “Challenges in differentiating and diagnosing psychotic depression,” Psychiatric Annals, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2006.
- L. Forty, L. Jones, I. Jones et al., “Is depression severity the sole cause of psychotic symptoms during an episode of unipolar major depression? A study both between and within subjects,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 114, no. 1–3, pp. 103–109, 2009.
- B. A. Gaudiano, D. Young, I. Chelminski, and M. Zimmerman, “Depressive symptom profiles and severity patterns in outpatients with psychotic versus nonpsychotic major depression,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 421–429, 2008.
- M. Thakur, J. Hays, and K. R. R. Krishnan, “Clinical, demographic and social characteristics of psychotic depression,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 1999.
- A. F. Schatzberg, J. A. Posener, C. DeBattista, B. M. Kalehzan, A. J. Rothschild, and P. K. Shear, “Neuropsychological deficits in psychotic versus nonpsychotic major depression and no mental illness,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 157, no. 7, pp. 1095–1100, 2000.
- G. Parker, D. Hadzi-Pavlovic, I. Hickie et al., “Distinguishing psychotic and non-psychotic melancholia,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 135–148, 1991.
- D. I. Otote and J. U. Ohaeri, “Depressive symptomatology and short-term stability at a Nigerian psychiatric care facility,” Psychopathology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 314–323, 2000.
- J. U. Ohaeri and D. I. Otote, “Family history, life events and the factorial structure of depression in a Nigerian sample of inpatients,” Psychopathology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 210–219, 2002.
- R. O. A. Makanjuola, “‘Ode Ori’: A culture-bound disorder with prominent somatic features in Yoruba Nigerian patients,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 231–236, 1987.
- A. Binitie, “A factor analytical study of depression across cultures (African and European),” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 127, no. 12, pp. 559–563, 1975.
- S. T. C. Ilechukwu, “Psychiatry in Africa: special problems and unique features,” Transcultural Psychiatric Research Review, vol. 28, pp. 168–218, 1991.
- G. T. Okulate, M. O. Olayinka, and O. B. E. Jones, “Somatic symptoms in depression: evaluation of their diagnostic weight in an African setting,” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 184, pp. 422–427, 2004.
- G. T. Okulate, H. T. Oladapo, and A. Osibogun, “Comparison of three subtypes of depression,” The Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 41–45, 2001.
- G. T. Okulate and O. B. Jones, “Two depression rating instruments in Nigerian patients,” The Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 74–78, 2002.
- P. O. Ebigbo, “Development of a culture specific (Nigeria) screening scale of somatic complaints indicating psychiatric disturbance,” Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 29–43, 1982.
- K. Ahmed and D. Bhugra, “Depression across ethnic minority cultures: diagnostic issues,” World Cultural Psychiatric Review, 2007.
- W. A. Vega and R. Lewis-Fernández, “Ethnicity and variability of psychotic symptoms,” Current Psychiatry Reports, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 223–228, 2008.
- A. L. Whaley and P. A. Geller, “Ethnic/racial differences in psychiatric disorders: a test of four hypotheses,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 499–512, 2003.
- M. B. First, R. L. Spitzer, J. B. W. Williams, and M. Gibbon, Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-1V (SCID), American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 1997.
- M. Hamilton, “Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness,” The British Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 278–296, 1967.
- W. Coryell, B. Pfohl, and M. Zimmerman, “The clinical and neuroendocrine features of psychotic depression,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 172, no. 9, pp. 521–528, 1984.
- E. Lattuada, A. Serretti, C. Cusin, M. Gasperini, and E. Smeraldi, “Symptomatologic analysis of psychotic and non-psychotic depression,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 54, no. 1-2, pp. 183–187, 1999.
- E. Lykouras, D. Malliaras, G. N. Christodoulou et al., “Delusional depression: phenomenology and response to treatment,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 324–329, 1986.
- D. Souery, L. Zaninotto, R. Calati et al., “Phenomenology of psychotic mood disorders: lifetime and major depressive episode features,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 135, no. 1–3, pp. 241–250, 2011.
- D. V. Jeste, S. C. Heaton, J. S. Paulsen, L. Ercoli, M. J. Harris, and R. K. Heaton, “Clinical and neuropsychological comparison of psychotic depression with nonpsychotic depression and schizophrenia,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 490–496, 1996.
- J. Keller, A. F. Schatzberg, and M. Maj, “Current issues in the classification of psychotic major depression,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 877–885, 2007.
- M. K. Sapru, B. S. S. R. Rao, and S. M. Channabasavanna, “Serum dopamine-β-hydroxylase activity in clinical subtypes of depression,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 474–478, 1989.