- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 279521, 7 pages
Digital Chromoendoscopy for Diagnosis of Diminutive Colorectal Lesions
1Department of Endoscopy and Gastroenterology, Dr Mario Araujo University Hospital, 96400-130 Bagé, RS, Brazil
2Department of Endoscopy and Gastroenterology, Santa Casa Hospital and Fundação Riograndense Universitária de Gastroenterologia (FUGAST), 90610-210 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
3Department of Endoscopy 9 de Julho Hospital, 01409-902 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 14 July 2012; Accepted 21 August 2012
Academic Editor: Klaus Mönkemüller
Copyright © 2012 Carlos Eduardo Oliveira dos Santos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Arditi, I. Peytremann-Bridevaux, B. Burnand et al., “Appropriateness of colonoscopy in Europe (EPAGE II): screening for colorectal cancer,” Endoscopy, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 200–208, 2009.
- B. Morson, “President's address. The polyp-cancer sequence in the large bowel,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 451–457, 1974.
- T. Matsuda, Y. Saito, K. Hotta, Y. Sano, and T. Fujii, “Prevalence and clinicopathological features of nonpolypoid colorectal neoplasms: should we pay more attention to identifying flat and depressed lesions?” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. S57–S62, 2010.
- Y. Sano, S. Tanaka, C. R. Teixeira, and N. Aoyama, “Endoscopic detection and diagnosis of 0-IIc neoplastic colorectal lesions,” Endoscopy, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 261–267, 2005.
- S. J. Winawer, A. G. Zauber, M. N. Ho, et al., “Prevention of colorectal cancer by colonoscopic polypectomy (The National Polyp Study Workgroup),” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, pp. 1977–1981, 1993.
- F. Citarda, G. Tomaselli, R. Capocaccia, S. Barcherini, and M. Crespi, “Efficacy in standard clinical practice of colonoscopic polypectomy in reducing colorectal cancer incidence,” Gut, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 812–815, 2001.
- S. Kudo, C. A. Rubio, C. R. Teixeira, H. Kashida, and E. Kogure, “Pit pattern in colorectal neoplasia: endoscopic magnifying view,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 367–373, 2001.
- S. Tanaka, T. Kaltenbach, K. Chayama, and R. Soetikno, “High-magnification colonoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 604–613, 2006.
- K. Togashi, F. Konishi, T. Ishizuka, T. Sato, S. Senba, and K. Kanazawa, “Efficacy of magnifying endoscopy in the differential diagnosis of neoplastic and non-neoplastic polyps of the large bowel,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 1602–1608, 1999.
- M. Y. Su, Y. P. Ho, P. C. Chen et al., “Magnifying endoscopy with indigo carmine contrast for differential diagnosis of neoplastic and nonneoplastic colonic polyps,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 49, no. 7-8, pp. 1123–1127, 2004.
- E. C. A. Zanoni, R. Cutait, M. Averbach et al., “Magnifying colonoscopy: interobserver agreement in the assessment of colonic pit patterns and its correlation with histopathological findings,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1383–1388, 2007.
- C. E. O. Dos Santos, J. C. Pereira-Lima, C. V. Lopes, D. Malaman, A. A. Parada, and A. D. Salomão, “Comparative study between MBI (FICE) and magnification chromoendoscopy with indigo carmine in the differential diagnosis of neoplastic and non-neoplastic lesions of the colorectum,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 2009.
- T. Matsuda, T. Fujii, Y. Saito et al., “Efficacy of the invasive/non-invasive pattern by magnifying chromoendoscopy to estimate the depth of invasion of early colorectal neoplasms,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 2700–2706, 2008.
- D. P. Hurlstone, S. S. Cross, S. Brown, D. S. Sanders, and A. J. Lobo, “A prospective evaluation of high-magnification chromoscopic colonoscopy in predicting completeness of EMR,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 642–650, 2004.
- C. E. dos Santos, D. Malaman, and J. C. Pereira-Lima, “Endoscopic mucosal resection in colorectal lesion: a safe and effective procedure even in lesions larger than 2 cm and in carcinomas,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 48, pp. 242–247, 2011.
- R. Hüneburg, F. Lammert, C. Rabe et al., “Chromocolonoscopy detects more adenomas than white light colonoscopy or narrow band imaging colonoscopy in hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer screening,” Endoscopy, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 316–322, 2009.
- D. P. Hurlstone, S. S. Cross, R. Slater, D. S. Sanders, and S. Brown, “Detecting diminutive colorectal lesions at colonoscopy: a randomised controlled trial of pan-colonic versus targeted chromoscopy,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 376–380, 2004.
- M. Hirata, S. Tanaka, S. Oka et al., “Magnifying endoscopy with narrow band imaging for diagnosis of colorectal tumors,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 988–995, 2007.
- J. J. W. Tischendorf, H. E. Wasmuth, A. Koch, H. Hecker, C. Trautwein, and R. Winograd, “Value of magnifying chromoendoscopy and narrow band imaging (NBI) in classifying colorectal polyps: a prospective controlled study,” Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 1092–1096, 2007.
- H. Kanao, S. Tanaka, S. Oka, M. Hirata, S. Yoshida, and K. Chayama, “Narrow-band imaging magnification predicts the histology and invasion depth of colorectal tumors,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 631–636, 2009.
- N. Yoshida, Y. Naito, M. Kugai et al., “Efficacy of magnifying endoscopy with flexible spectral imaging color enhancement in the diagnosis of colorectal tumors,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2011.
- M. Y. Su, C. M. Hsu, Y. P. Ho, P. C. Chen, C. J. Lin, and C. T. Chiu, “Comparative study of conventional colonoscopy, chromoendoscopy, and narrow-band imaging systems in differential diagnosis of neoplastic and nonneoplastic colonic polyps,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 2711–2716, 2006.
- A. Hoffman, C. Kagel, M. Goetz et al., “Recognition and characterization of small colonic neoplasia with high-definition colonoscopy using i-Scan is as precise as chromoendoscopy,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2010.
- H. M. Chiu, C. Y. Chang, C. C. Chen et al., “A prospective comparative study of narrow-band imaging, chromoendoscopy, and conventional colonoscopy in the diagnosis of colorectal neoplasia,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 373–379, 2007.
- A. Rastogi, D. S. Early, N. Gupta et al., “Randomized, controlled trial of standard-definition white-light, love you. high-definition white-light, and narrow-band imaging colonoscopy for the detection of colon polyps and prediction of polyp histology,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 74, pp. 593–602, 2011.
- X. F. Jin, T. H. Chai, and J. W. Shi, “Meta-analysis for evaluating the accuracy of endoscopy with narrow band imaging in detecting colorectal adenomas,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 27, pp. 882–887, 2012.
- T. Inoue, M. Murano, N. Murano et al., “Comparative study of conventional colonoscopy and pan-colonic narrow-band imaging system in the detection of neoplastic colonic polyps: a randomized, controlled trial,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2008.
- S. Kudo, S. Hirota, T. Nakajima et al., “Colorectal tumours and pit pattern,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 880–885, 1994.
- S. E. Kudo, S. Tamura, T. Nakajima, H. O. Yamano, H. Kusaka, and H. Watanabe, “Diagnosis of colorectal tumorous lesions by magnifying endoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 1996.
- “The Paris endoscopic classification of superficial neoplastic lesions,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 58, pp. S3–S43, 2003.
- “Pathology and genetics of tumours of the digestive system,” in World Health Organization Classification of Tumours, S. R. Hamilton and L. A. Aaltonen, Eds., pp. 104–119, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2000.
- K. Konishi, K. Kaneko, T. Kurahashi et al., “A comparison of magnifying and nonmagnifying colonoscopy for diagnosis of colorectal polyps: a prospective study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2003.
- J. Pohl, E. Lotterer, C. Balzer et al., “Computed virtual chromoendoscopy versus standard colonoscopy with targeted indigocarmine chromoscopy: a randomised multicentre trial,” Gut, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2009.
- N. Yoshida, Y. Naito, and Y. Inada, “The detection of surface patterns by flexible spectral imaging color enhancement without magnification for diagnosis of colorectal polyps,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 27, pp. 605–611, 2012.
- A. Rastogi, J. Keighley, V. Singh et al., “High accuracy of narrow band imaging without magnification for the real-time characterization of polyp histology and its comparison with high-definition white light colonoscopy: a prospective study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 2422–2430, 2009.
- J. Pohl, M. Nguyen-Tat, O. Pech, A. May, T. Rabenstein, and C. Ell, “Computed virtual chromoendoscopy for classification of small colorectal lesions: a prospective comparative study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 562–569, 2008.
- Y. S. Kim, D. Kim, S. J. Chung et al., “Differentiating small polyp histologies using real-time screening colonoscopy with Fuji Intelligent Color Enhancement,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 9, pp. 744–749, 2011.
- C. E. O. Dos Santos, J. C. P. Lima, C. V. Lopes et al., “Computerized virtual chromoendoscopy versus indigo carmine chromoendoscopy combined with magnification for diagnosis of small colorectal lesions: a randomized and prospective study,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1364–1371, 2010.
- Y. Sano, T. Horimatsu, K. I. Fu, A. Katagiri, M. Muto, and H. Ishikawa, “Magnifying observation of microvascular architecture of colorectal lesions using a narrow-band imaging system,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. S44–S51, 2006.
- J. E. East, N. Suzuki, P. Bassett, et al., “Narrow band imaging with magnification for the characterization of small and diminutive colonic polyps: pit pattern and vascular pattern intensity,” Endoscopy, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 811–817, 2008.
- C. R. Teixeira, R. S. Torresini, C. Canali et al., “Endoscopic classification of the capillary-vessel pattern of colorectal lesions by spectral estimation technology and magnifying zoom imaging,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 750–756, 2009.
- J. E. East, E. K. Tan, J. J. Bergman, B. P. Saunders, and P. P. Tekkis, “Meta-analysis: narrow band imaging for lesion characterization in the colon, oesophagus, duodenal ampulla and lung,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 854–867, 2008.
- L. Wu, Y. Li, Z. Li, et al., “The diagnostic accuracy of narrow-band imaging for the differentiation of neoplastic from non-neoplastic colorectal polyps: a meta-analysis,” Colorectal Disease. In press.
- M. L. Han, Y. C. Lee, and C. C. Chen, “Computer-generated surface and tone enhancements to distinguish neoplastic from non-neoplastic colon polyps less than 1 cm in diameter,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 27, pp. 337–344, 2012.
- A. Hoffman, F. Sar, M. Goetz et al., “High definition colonoscopy combined with i-Scan is superior in the detection of colorectal neoplasias compared with standard video colonoscopy: a prospective randomized controlled trial,” Endoscopy, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 827–833, 2010.
- C. K. Lee, S. H. Lee, and Y. Hwangbo, “Narrow-band imaging versus I-Scan for the real-time histological prediction of diminutive colonic polyps: a prospective comparative study by using the simple unified endoscopic classification,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 74, pp. 603–609, 2011.