- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 507597, 9 pages
Comparison of Narrowband Imaging with Autofluorescence Imaging for Endoscopic Visualization of Superficial Squamous Cell Carcinoma Lesions of the Esophagus
Endoscopy Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
Received 10 May 2012; Revised 2 September 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editor: Mitsuru Kaise
Copyright © 2012 Haruhisa Suzuki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Isono, H. Sato, and K. Nakayama, “Results of a nationwide study on the three-field lymph node dissection of esophageal cancer,” Oncology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 411–420, 1991.
- N. Ando, S. Ozawa, Y. Kitagawa, Y. Shinozawa, and M. Kitajima, “Improvement in the results of surgical treatment of advanced squamous esophageal carcinoma during 15 consecutive years,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 225–232, 2000.
- H. Inoue, “Treatment of esophageal and gastric tumors,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 119–125, 2001.
- K. Takeshita, M. Tani, H. Inoue et al., “Endoscopic treatment of early oesophageal or gastric cancer,” Gut, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 123–127, 1997.
- H. Yoshinaka, H. Shimazu, T. Fukumoto, and M. Baba, “Superficial esophageal carcinoma: a clinicopathological review of 59 cases,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 1413–1418, 1991.
- Y. Kumagai, H. Makuuchi, T. Mitomi, and T. Ohmori, “A new classification system for early carcinomas of the esophagus,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 139–150, 1993.
- K. Sugimachi, S. Ohno, H. Matsuda, M. Mori, and H. Kuwano, “Lugol-combined endoscopic detection of minute malignant lesions of the thoracic esophagus,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 208, no. 2, pp. 179–183, 1988.
- A. Yokoyama, T. Ohmori, H. Makuuchi et al., “Successful screening for early esophageal cancer in alcoholics using endoscopy and mucosa iodine staining,” Cancer, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 928–934, 1995.
- S. M. Dawsey, D. E. Fleischer, G.-Q. Wang et al., “Mucosal iodine staining improves endoscopic visualization of squamous dysplasia and squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus in Linxian, China,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 220–231, 1998.
- N. Aoyama, S. Akaike, H. Koizumi, and M. Aoki, “Questionnaire investigating side effects of Lugol staining,” The Japanese Journal of Gastroenterological Surgery, vol. 16, pp. 939–940, 1983 (Japanese).
- J. M. Park, I. S. Lee, J. Y. Kang et al., “Acute esophageal and gastric injury: complication of Lugol's solution,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 135–137, 2007.
- F. P. B. M. Thuler, G. A. de Paulo, and A. P. Ferrari, “Chemical esophagitis after chromoendoscopy with Lugol's solution for esophageal cancer: case report,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 925–926, 2004.
- H. Kameyama, M. Murakami, Y. Shimizu et al., “The efficacy and diagnostic significance of sodium thiosulphate solution spraying after iodine dyeing of the esophagus,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 1994.
- H. Kondo, H. Fukuda, H. Ono et al., “Sodium thiosulfate solution spray for relief of irritation caused by Lugol's stain in chromoendoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 199–202, 2001.
- K. Gono, K. Yamazaki, N. Doguchi et al., “Endoscopic observation of tissue by narrowband illumination,” Optical Review, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 211–215, 2003.
- T. Yoshida, H. Inoue, S. Usui, H. Satodate, N. Fukami, and S. E. Kudo, “Narrow-band imaging system with magnifying endoscopy for superficial esophageal lesions,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 288–295, 2004.
- M. Muto, M. Nakane, C. Katada et al., “Squamous cell carcinoma in situ at oropharyngeal and hypopharyngeal mucosal sites,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1375–1381, 2004.
- S. Nonaka and Y. Saito, “Endoscopic diagnosis of pharyngeal carcinoma by NBI,” Endoscopy, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 347–351, 2008.
- S. Nonaka, Y. Saito, I. Oda, T. Kozu, and D. Saito, “Narrow-band imaging endoscopy with magnification is useful for detecting metachronous superficial pharyngeal cancer in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 264–269, 2010.
- M. Muto, K. Minashi, T. Yano et al., “Early detection of superficial squamous cell carcinoma in the head and neck region and esophagus by narrow band imaging: a multicenter randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1566–1572, 2010.
- H. Tajiri and H. Niwa, “Proposal for a consensus terminology in endoscopy: How should different endoscopic imaging techniques be grouped and defined?” Endoscopy, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 775–778, 2008.
- M. Kato, M. Kaise, J. Yonezawa et al., “Trimodal imaging endoscopy may improve diagnostic accuracy of early gastric neoplasia: a feasibility study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 899–906, 2009.
- J. Haringsma, G. N. J. Tytgat, H. Yano et al., “Autofluorescence endoscopy: feasibility of detection of GI neoplasms unapparent to white light endoscopy with an evolving technology,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 642–650, 2001.
- I. Georgakoudi, B. C. Jacobson, J. van Dam et al., “Fluorescence, reflectance, and light-scattering spectroscopy for evaluating dysplasia in patients with Barrett's esophagus,” Gastroenterology, vol. 120, no. 7, pp. 1620–1629, 2001.
- N. Uedo, H. Iishi, M. Tatsuta et al., “A novel videoendoscopy system by using autofluorescence and reflectance imaging for diagnosis of esophagogastric cancers,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 521–528, 2005.
- H. Suzuki, Y. Saito, H. Ikehara, and I. Oda, “Evaluation of visualization of squamous cell carcinoma of esophagus and pharynx using an autofluorescence imaging videoendoscope system,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1834–1839, 2009.
- L. M. Wong Kee Song and N. E. Marcon, “Fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 279–296, 2003.
- R. J. Schlemper, R. H. Riddell, Y. Kato et al., “The vienna classification of gastrointestinal epithelial neoplasia,” Gut, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 251–255, 2000.
- The Japanese Society for Esophageal Diseases, Guidelines for Clinical and Pathologic Studies on Carcinoma of the Esophagus, Kanehara, Tokyo, Japan, 2002.
- C. T. Lee, C. Y. Chang, Y. C. Lee et al., “Narrow-band imaging with magnifying endoscopy for the screening of esophageal cancer in patients with primary head and neck cancers,” Endoscopy, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 613–619, 2010.