- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 596303, 6 pages
Detectability of Colon Polyp Using Computed Virtual Chromoendoscopy with Flexible Spectral Imaging Color Enhancement
1Department of Surgery, Gunma Chuo General Hospital, Maebashi, Gunma 371-0025, Japan
2Department of General Surgical Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Gunma University, Maebashi, Gunma 371-8511, Japan
3Endoscopy Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
Received 9 August 2011; Accepted 19 December 2011
Academic Editor: C. M. Wilcox
Copyright © 2012 Shinsuke Kiriyama et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Winawer, A. G. Zauber, M. J. O'Brien et al., “Randomized comparison of surveillance intervals after colonoscopic removal of newly diagnosed adenomatous polyps,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 13, pp. 901–906, 1993.
- S. J. Winawer, A. G. Zauber, M. N. Ho et al., “Prevention of colorectal cancer by colonoscopic polypectomy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, no. 27, pp. 1977–1981, 1993.
- D. K. Rex, C. S. Cutler, G. T. Lemmel et al., “Colonoscopic miss rates of adenomas determined by back-to-back colonoscopies,” Gastroenterology, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 24–28, 1997.
- J. C. Brooker, B. P. Saunders, S. G. Shah et al., “Total colonic dye-spray increases the detection of diminutive adenomas during routine colonoscopy: a randomized controlled trial,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 333–338, 2002.
- D. P. Hurlstone, S. S. Cross, R. Slater, D. S. Sanders, and S. Brown, “Detecting diminutive colorectal lesions at colonoscopy: a randomised controlled trial of pan-colonic versus targeted chromoscopy,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 376–380, 2004.
- D. K. Rex, V. Chadalawada, and D. J. Helper, “Wide angle colonoscopy with a prototype instrument: impact on miss rates and efficiency as determined by back-to-back colonoscopies,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 2000–2005, 2003.
- V. P. Deenadayalu, V. Chadalawada, and D. K. Rex, “170 degrees Wide-angle colonoscope: effect on efficiency and miss rates,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 2138–2142, 2004.
- M. Matsushita, K. Hajiro, K. Okazaki, H. Takakuwa, and M. Tominaga, “Efficacy of total colonoscopy with a transparent cap in comparison with colonoscopy without the cap,” Endoscopy, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 444–447, 1998.
- Y. Miyake, T. Sekiya, S. Kubo, et al., “A new spectrophotometer for measuring the spectral reflectance of gastric mucous membrane,” Imageing Science Journal, vol. 37, pp. 134–138, 1989.
- T. Shiobara, S. Zhou, H. Haneishi, N. Tsumura, and Y. Miyake, “Improved color reproduction of electronic endoscopes,” Journal of Imaging Science and Technology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 494–501, 1996.
- N. Tsumura, T. Tanaka, H. Haneishi, and Y. Miyake, “Optimal design of mosaic color filters for the improvement of image quality in electronic endoscopes,” Optics Communications, vol. 145, no. 1–6, pp. 27–32, 1998.
- T. Shiobara, N. Haneishi, and Y. Miyake, “Color correction for colorimetric color reproduction in an electronic endoscope,” Optics Communications, vol. 114, no. 1-2, pp. 57–63, 1995.
- T. Sakama, “Fundamental examination that image processing of the stomach mucous membrane which applies the presumption of spectrum reflectance,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 47, p. 773, 2005.
- “World Health Organization classification of tumours: pathology and genetics of tumours of the digestive system,” S. R. Hamilton and L. A. Aaltonen, Eds., pp. 104–119, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2000.
- R. L. Barclay, J. J. Vicari, A. S. Doughty, J. F. Johanson, and R. L. Greenlaw, “Colonoscopic withdrawal times and adenoma detection during screening colonoscopy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 24, pp. 2533–2541, 2006.
- D. T. Simmons, G. C. Harewood, T. H. Baron et al., “Impact of endoscopist withdrawal speed on polyp yield: implications for optimal colonoscopy withdrawal time,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 965–971, 2006.
- S. Kudo, H. Kashida, T. Tamura et al., “Colonoscopic diagnosis and management of nonpolypoid early colorectal cancer,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1081–1090, 2000.
- D. P. Hurlstone, T. Fujii, and A. J. Lobo, “Early detection of colorectal cancer using high-magnification chromoscopic colonoscopy,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 272–282, 2002.
- T. Fujii, R. T. Hasegawa, Y. Saitoh et al., “Chromoscopy during colonoscopy,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1036–1041, 2001.
- S. Kudo, S. Tamura, T. Nakajima, et al., “Diagnosis of colorectal timorous lesions by magnifying endoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 44, pp. 8–14, 1996.
- D. P. Hurlstone, S. S. Cross, I. Adam et al., “A prospective clinicopathological and endoscopic evaluation of flat and depressed colorectal lesions in the United Kingdom,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 2543–2549, 2003.
- M. Adachi, K. Okinaga, and T. Muto, “Flat adenoma of the large bowel: re-evaluation with special reference to central depression,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 782–787, 2000.
- S. Tanaka, K. Haruma, M. Ito et al., “Detailed colonoscopy for detecting early superficial carcinoma: recent developments,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 121–125, 2000.
- R. Kiesslich, M. Von Bergh, M. Hahn, G. Hermann, and M. Jung, “Chromoendoscopy with indigocarmine improves the detection of adenomatous and nonadenomatous lesions in the colon,” Endoscopy, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1001–1006, 2001.
- M. G. Lapalus, T. Helbert, B. Napoleon, J. F. Rey, P. Houcke, and T. Ponchon, “Does chromoendoscopy with structure enhancement improve the colonoscopic adenoma detection rate?” Endoscopy, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 444–448, 2006.
- B. J. Rembacken, T. Fujii, A. Cairns et al., “Flat and depressed colonic neoplasms: a prospective study of 1000 colonoscopies in the UK,” Lancet, vol. 355, no. 9211, pp. 1211–1214, 2000.
- T. Matsuda, Y. Saito, K. I. Fu et al., “Does autofluorescence imaging videoendoscopy system improve the colonoscopic polyp detection rate? A pilot study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 1926–1932, 2008.
- T. Uraoka, Y. Saito, T. Matsuda et al., “Detectability of colorectal neoplastic lesions using a narrow-band imaging system: a pilot study,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1810–1815, 2008.
- J. Pohl, A. May, T. Rabenstein, O. Pech, and C. Ell, “Computed virtual chromoendoscopy: a new tool for enhancing tissue surface structures,” Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 80–83, 2007.
- Y. Sano, M. Muto, H. Tajiri, A. Ohtsu, and S. Yoshida, “Optical/digital chromoendoscopy during colonoscopy using narrow-band imaging system,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 17, pp. S43–S48, 2005.
- H. M. Chiu, C. Y. Chang, C. C. Chen et al., “A prospective comparative study of narrow-band imaging, chromoendoscopy, and conventional colonoscopy in the diagnosis of colorectal neoplasia,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 373–379, 2007.
- D. K. Rex and C. C. Helbig, “High yields of small and flat adenomas with high-definition colonoscopes using either white light or narrow band imaging,” Gastroenterology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 2007.
- J. Pohl, A. May, T. Rabenstein et al., “Comparison of computed virtual chromoendoscopy and conventional chromoendoscopy with acetic acid for detection of neoplasia in Barrett's esophagus,” Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 594–598, 2007.
- M. A. Kara, F. P. Peters, W. D. Rosmolen et al., “High-resolution endoscopy plus chromoendoscopy or narrow-band imaging in Barrett's esophagus: a prospective randomized crossover study,” Endoscopy, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 929–936, 2005.
- A. Parra-Blanco, A. Jiménez, B. Rembacken et al., “Validation of Fujinon intelligent chromoendoscopy with high definition endoscopes in colonoscopy,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 42, pp. 5266–5273, 2009.
- H. Osawa, M. Yoshizawa, H. Yamamoto et al., “Optimal band imaging system can facilitate detection of changes in depressed-type early gastric cancer,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 226–234, 2008.
- R. Mouri, S. Yoshida, S. Tanaka, S. Oka, M. Yoshihara, and K. Chayama, “Evaluation and validation of computed virtual chromoendoscopy in early gastric cancer,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1052–1058, 2009.
- J. Pohl, M. Nguyen-Tat, O. Pech, A. May, T. Rabenstein, and C. Ell, “Computed virtual chromoendoscopy for classification of small colorectal lesions: a prospective comparative study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 562–569, 2008.
- J. Pohl, E. Lotterer, C. Balzer et al., “Computed virtual chromoendoscopy versus standard colonoscopy with targeted indigocarmine chromoscopy: a randomised multicentre trial,” Gut, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2009.
- J. M. Cha, J. I. Lee, K. R. Joo, S. W. Jung, and H. P. Shin, “A prospective randomized study on computed virtual chromoendoscopy versus conventional colonoscopy for the detection of small colorectal adenomas,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2357–2364, 2010.
- Y. Saitoh, I. Waxman, A. B. West et al., “Prevalence and distinctive biologic features of flat colorectal adenomas in a North American population,” Gastroenterology, vol. 120, no. 7, pp. 1657–1665, 2001.
- S. Tsuda, B. Veress, E. Tóth, and F. T. Fork, “Flat and depressed colorectal tumours in a southern Swedish population: a prospective chromoendoscopic and histopathological study,” Gut, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 550–555, 2002.
- R. Soetikno, S. Friedland, T. Kaltenbach, K. Chayama, and S. Tanaka, “Nonpolypoid (flat and depressed) colorectal neoplasms,” Gastroenterology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 566–576, 2006.
- S. J. Chung, D. Kim, J. H. Song et al., “Efficacy of computed virtual chromoendoscopy on colorectal cancer screening: a prospective, randomized, back-to-back trial of Fuji Intelligent Color Enhancement versus conventional colonoscopy to compare adenoma miss rates,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 136–142, 2010.
- I. K. Woolfson, G. J. Eckholdt, C. R. Wetzel et al., “Usefulness of performing colonoscopy one year after endoscopic polypectomy,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 389–393, 1990.
- B. Hofstad, M. Vatn, S. Larsen, and M. Osnes, “Growth of colorectal polyps: recovery and evaluation of unresected polyps of less than 10 mm, 1 year after detection,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 640–645, 1994.