- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 150492, 6 pages
Diagnostic Yield and Safety of Endoscopic Ultrasound Guided Fine Needle Aspiration of Central Mediastinal Lung Masses
1Gastroenterology Service, University Hospital Ramon y Cajal, 28801 Madrid, Spain
2Gastroenterology Service, University Hospital Quiron, Madrid, Spain
3Developmental Endoscopy Unit, Gastroenterology Division, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Received 26 March 2013; Accepted 11 May 2013
Academic Editor: Kazuo Inui
Copyright © 2013 Enrique Vazquez-Sequeiros et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. Alberg and J. M. Samet, “Epidemiology of lung cancer,” Chest, vol. 123, no. 1, supplement, pp. 21S–49S, 2003.
- F. C. Detterbeck, M. A. Jantz, M. Wallace, J. Vansteenkiste, and G. A. Silvestri, “Invasive mediastinal staging of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition),” Chest, vol. 132, no. 3, supplement, pp. 202S–220S, 2007.
- P. Mazzone, P. Jain, A. C. Arroliga, and R. A. Matthay, “Bronchoscopy and needle biopsy techniques for diagnosis and staging of lung cancer,” Clinics in Chest Medicine, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 137–158, 2002.
- H. Li, P. M. Boiselle, J. A. O. Shepard, B. Trotman-Dickenson, and T. C. McLoud, “Diagnostic accuracy and safety of CT-guided percutaneous needle aspiration biopsy of the lung: comparison of small and large pulmonary nodules,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 105–109, 1996.
- M. J. Wallace, S. Krishnamurthy, L. D. Broemeling et al., “CT-guided percutaneous fine-needle aspiration biopsy of small (≥1-cm) pulmonary lesions,” Radiology, vol. 225, no. 3, pp. 823–828, 2002.
- E. A. Kazerooni, F. T. Lim, A. Mikhail, and F. J. Martinez, “Risk of pneumothorax in CT-guided transthoracic needle aspiration biopsy of the lung,” Radiology, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 371–375, 1996.
- Y. Ohno, H. Hatabu, D. Takenaka et al., “CT-guided transthoracic needle aspiration biopsy of small (≤ 20 mm) solitary pulmonary nodules,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 180, no. 6, pp. 1665–1669, 2003.
- K. Yasufuku and T. Fujisawa, “Staging and diagnosis of non-small cell lung cancer: invasive modalities,” Respirology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 173–183, 2007.
- M. J. Wiersema, E. Vazquez-Sequeiros, and L. M. Wiersema, “Evaluation of mediastinal lymphadenopathy with endoscopic US-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy,” Radiology, vol. 219, no. 1, pp. 252–257, 2001.
- C. G. Micames, D. C. McCrory, D. A. Pavey, P. S. Jowell, and F. G. Gress, “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration for non-small cell lung cancer staging: a systematic review and metaanalysis,” Chest, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 539–548, 2007.
- K. J. Tournoy, M. Carprieaux, E. Deschepper, J. P. van Meerbeeck, and M. Praet, “Are EUS-FNA and EBUS-TBNA specimens reliable for subtyping non-small cell lung cancer?” Lung Cancer, vol. 76, pp. 46–50, 2012.
- S. Varadarajulu, B. J. Hoffman, R. H. Hawes, and M. A. Eloubeidi, “EUS-guided FNA of lung masses adjacent to or abutting the esophagus after unrevealing CT-guided biopsy or bronchoscopy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 293–297, 2004.
- J. T. Annema, M. Veseliç, and K. F. Rabe, “EUS-guided FNA of centrally located lung tumours following a non-diagnostic bronchoscopy,” Lung Cancer, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 357–361, 2005.
- A. Hernandez, M. Kahaleh, J. Olazagasti et al., “EUS-FNA as the initial diagnostic modality in centrally located primary lung cancers,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 657–660, 2007.
- K. G. Tournoy, R. C. Rintoul, J. P. van Meerbeeck et al., “EBUS-TBNA for the diagnosis of central parenchymal lung lesions not visible at routine bronchoscopy,” Lung Cancer, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2009.
- F. G. Gress, T. J. Savides, A. Sandler et al., “Endoscopic ultrasonography, fine-needle aspiration biopsy guided by endoscopic ultrasonography, and computed tomography in the preoperative staging of non-small-cell lung cancer: a comparison study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 127, no. 8 I, pp. 604–612, 1997.
- H. Motulsky, Intuitive Biostatistics, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- J. L. Leef and J. S. Klein, “The solitary pulmonary nodule,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 123–143, 2002.
- M. J. Wiersema, P. Vilmann, M. Giovannini, K. J. Chang, and L. M. Wiersema, “Endosonography-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy: diagnostic accuracy and complication assessment,” Gastroenterology, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 1087–1095, 1997.
- A. Affi, E. Vazquez-Sequeiros, I. D. Norton, J. E. Clain, and M. J. Wiersema, “Acute extraluminal hemorrhage associated with EUS-guided fine needle aspiration: frequency and clinical significance,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 221–225, 2001.
- M. B. Wallace, G. A. Silvestri, A. V. Sahai et al., “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration for staging patients with carcinoma of the lung,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1861–1867, 2001.
- A. Fritscher-Ravens, N. Soehendra, L. Schirrow et al., “Role of transesophageal endosonography-guided fine-needle aspiration in the diagnosis of lung cancer,” Chest, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 339–345, 2000.
- J. Laudanski, M. Kozlowski, J. Nikliński, and L. Chyczewski, “The preoperative study of mediastinal lymph nodes metastasis in lung cancer by endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) and helical computed tomography (CT),” Lung Cancer, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. S123–S126, 2001.
- L. Aabakken, G. A. Silvestri, R. Hawes, C. E. Reed, V. Marsi, and B. Hoffman, “Cost-efficacy of endoscopic ultrasonography with fine-needle aspiration vs. mediastinotomy in patients with lung cancer and suspected mediastinal adenopathy,” Endoscopy, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 707–711, 1999.
- D. Kondo, M. Imaizumi, T. Abe, T. Naruke, and K. Suemasu, “Endoscopic ultrasound examination for mediastinal lymph node metastases of lung cancer,” Chest, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 586–593, 1990.
- D. L. Serna, H. E. Aryan, K. J. Chang, M. Brenner, L. M. Tran, and J. C. Chen, “An early comparison between endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration and mediastinoscopy for diagnosis of mediastinal malignancy,” American Surgeon, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 1014–1018, 1998.
- K. J. Chang, R. A. Erickson, and P. Nguyen, “Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and EUS-guided fine-needle aspiration of the left adrenal gland,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 568–572, 1996.
- E. B. Stelow, S. M. Debol, M. W. Stanley, S. Mallery, R. Lai, and R. H. Bardales, “Sampling of the adrenal glands by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 2005.
- J. DeWitt, M. Alsatie, J. LeBlanc, L. McHenry, and S. Sherman, “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of left adrenal gland masses,” Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2007.
- N. C. Jhala, D. Jhala, M. A. Eloubeidi et al., “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the adrenal glands: analysis of 24 patients,” Cancer, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 308–314, 2004.
- H. Kramer and H. J. M. Groen, “Current concepts in the mediastinal lymph node staging of nonsmall cell lung cancer,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 238, no. 2, pp. 180–188, 2003.
- T. L. Ang, A. K. H. Tee, K. M. Fock, E. K. Teo, and T. S. Chua, “Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration in the evaluation of suspected lung cancer,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1299–1304, 2007.
- N. Navani, J. M. Brown, M. Nankivell, et al., “Suitability of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration specimens for subtyping and genotyping of non-small cell lung cancer: a multicenter study of 774 patients,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 185, no. 12, pp. 1316–1322, 2012.
- R. Ohnishi, I. Yasuda, T. Kato, et al., “Combined endobronchial and endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration for mediastinal nodal staging of lung cancer,” Endoscopy, vol. 43, pp. 1082–1089, 2011.
- F. J. F. Herth, M. Krasnik, N. Kahn, R. Eberhardt, and A. Ernst, “Combined endoscopic-endobronchial ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of mediastinal lymph nodes through a single bronchoscope in 150 patients with suspected lung cancer,” Chest, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 790–794, 2010.
- J. T. Annema, J. P. Van Meerbeeck, R. C. Rintoul et al., “Mediastinoscopy vs endosonography for mediastinal nodal staging of lung cancer: a randomized trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 304, no. 20, pp. 2245–2252, 2010.