- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 681783, 5 pages
A Novel Opportunity in Minimally Invasive Colorectal Cancer Therapy: Defining a Role for Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection in the United States
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, 1st Floor Atrium Suite, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Received 2 August 2013; Accepted 14 September 2013
Academic Editor: Spiros D. Ladas
Copyright © 2013 Jonah Cohen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. H. Levine, S. C. Steinhorn, L. Gloeckler Ries, and J. L. Aron, “Inflammatory breast cancer: the experience of the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results (SEER) program,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 291–297, 1985.
- S. Kiriyama, Y. Saito, S. Yamamoto, R. Soetikno, T. Matsuda, T. Nakajima, et al., “Comparison of endoscopic submucosal dissection with laparoscopic-assisted colorectal surgery for early-stage colorectal cancer: a retrospective analysis,” Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 1024–1030, 2012.
- S. U. Park, Y. W. Min, J. U. Shin, J. H. Choi, Y. H. Kim, J. J. Kim, et al., “Endoscopic submucosal dissection or transanal endoscopic microsurgery for nonpolypoid rectal high grade dysplasia and submucosa-invading rectal cancer,” Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 1031–1036, 2012.
- C. Huang, R. X. Huang, P. Xiang, and Z. J. Qiu, “Current research status of endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal neoplasms,” Clinical and Investigative Medicine Medecine Clinique Et Experimentale, vol. 35, pp. E158–E164, 2012.
- Y. Saito, T. Uraoka, T. Matsuda et al., “Endoscopic treatment of large superficial colorectal tumors: a case series of 200 endoscopic submucosal dissections (with video),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 966–973, 2007.
- E.-J. Lee, J. B. Lee, S. H. Lee, and E. G. Youk, “Endoscopic treatment of large colorectal tumors: comparison of endoscopic mucosal resection, endoscopic mucosal resection-precutting, and endoscopic submucosal dissection,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 26, pp. 2220–2230, 2012.
- S. Tanaka, M. Terasaki, H. Kanao, S. Oka, and K. Chayama, “Current status and future perspectives of endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal tumors,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 2012.
- S. Tanaka, S. Oka, I. Kaneko et al., “Endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal neoplasia: possibility of standardization,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 100–107, 2007.
- T. Uraoka, A. Parra-Blanco, and N. Yahagi, “Colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection in Japan and Western countries,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 80–83, 2012.
- K. Niimi, M. Fujishiro, S. Kodashima et al., “Long-term outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal epithelial neoplasms,” Endoscopy, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 723–729, 2010.
- Y. Saito, T. Uraoka, Y. Yamaguchi et al., “A prospective, multicenter study of 1111 colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissections (with video),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1217–1225, 2010.
- A. Repici, C. Hassan, D. De Paula Pessoa et al., “Efficacy and safety of endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal neoplasia: a systematic review,” Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 137–150, 2012.
- Y. Yoda, H. Ikematsu, T. Matsuda, Y. Yamaguchi, K. Hotta, N. Kobayashi, et al., “A large-scale multicenter study of long-term outcomes after endoscopic resection for submucosal invasive colorectal cancer,” Endoscopy, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 718–724, 2013.
- L. L. Swanstrom, “Treatment of early colorectal cancers: too many choices?” Endoscopy, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 991–992, 2012.
- S. V. Kantsevoy, D. G. Adler, J. D. Conway et al., “Endoscopic mucosal resection and endoscopic submucosal dissection,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2008.
- R. C. Haggitt, R. E. Glotzbach, E. E. Soffer, and L. D. Wruble, “Prognostic factors in colorectal carcinomas arising in adenomas: implications for lesions removed by endoscopic polypectomy,” Gastroenterology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 328–336, 1985.
- “The Paris endoscopic classification of superficial neoplastic lesions: esophagus, stomach, and colon: November 30 to December 1, 2002,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 58, supplement 6, pp. S3–S43, 2003.
- S.-F. Huang, “The World Health Organization and the Vienna classification of gastrointestinal epithelial neoplasia,” Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi Chinese Journal of Pathology, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 540–541, 2005.
- S.-E. Kudo, H. Kashida, T. Nakajima, S. Tamura, and K. Nakajo, “Endoscopic diagnosis and treatment of early colorectal cancer,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 694–701, 1997.
- H. Yanai, Y. Matsumoto, T. Harada et al., “Endoscopic ultrasonography and endoscopy for staging depth of invasion in early gastric cancer: a pilot study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 212–216, 1997.
- S. Kudo, H. Kashida, S. Tamura, and T. Nakajima, “The problem of 'flat' colonic adenoma,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 87–98, 1997.
- A. Yokoyama, H. Watanabe, and Y. Asakura, “Lymph node metastasis and micrometastasis of submucosal invasive colorectal carcinoma: an indicator of the curative potential of endoscopic treatment,” Acta Medica Et Biologica, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2002.
- K. Kitajima, T. Fujimori, S. Fuji et al., “Correlations between lymph node metastasis and depth of submucosal invasion in submucosal invasive colorectal carcinoma: a Japanese collaborative study,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 534–543, 2004.
- T. Watanabe, M. Itabashi, Y. Shimada et al., “Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum (JSCCR) guidelines 2010 for the treatment of colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, pp. 1–29, 2011.
- T. Watanabe, M. Itabashi, Y. Shimada, et al., “Japanese society for cancer of the colon and rectum (JSCCR) guidelines 2010 for the treatment of colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–29, 2012.
- S. L. Bosch, S. Teerenstra, J. H. de Wilt, C. Cunningham, and I. D. Nagtegaal, “Predicting lymph node metastasis in pT1 colorectal cancer: a systematic review of risk factors providing rationale for therapy decisions,” Endoscopy, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 827–841, 2013.
- N. Hayashi, S. Tanaka, D. G. Hewett, T. R. Kaltenbach, Y. Sano, T. Ponchon, et al., “Endoscopic prediction of deep submucosal invasive carcinoma: validation of the Narrow-Band Imaging International Colorectal Endoscopic (NICE) classification,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 78, pp. 625–632, 2013.
- S. Tanaka, S. Oka, and K. Chayama, “Colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection: present status and future perspective, including its differentiation from endoscopic mucosal resection,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 641–651, 2008.
- S. Tanaka, Y. Tamegai, S. Tsuda, Y. Saito, N. Yahagi, and H.-O. Yamano, “Multicenter questionnaire survey on the current situation of colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection in Japan,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. S2–S8, 2010.
- S. B. Edge and C. C. Compton, “The american joint committee on cancer: the 7th edition of the AJCC cancer staging manual and the future of TNM,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1471–1474, 2010.
- R. Nascimbeni, L. J. Burgart, S. Nivatvongs, and D. R. Larson, “Risk of lymph node metastasis in T1 carcinoma of the colon and rectum,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 200–206, 2002.
- W.-L. Fang, S.-C. Chang, J.-K. Lin et al., “Metastatic potential in T1 and T2 colorectal cancer,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 52, no. 66, pp. 1688–1691, 2005.
- S. Yamamoto, M. Watanabe, H. Hasegawa et al., “The risk of lymph node metastasis in T1 colorectal carcinoma,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 51, no. 58, pp. 998–1000, 2004.
- A. Carrara, D. Mangiola, R. Pertile, A. Ricci, M. Motter, G. Ghezzi, et al., “Analysis of risk factors for lymph nodal involvement in early stages of rectal cancer: when can local excision be considered an appropriate treatment? Systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature,” International Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 2012, Article ID 438450, 8 pages, 2012.
- J. B. O'Connell, M. A. Maggard, and C. Y. Ko, “Colon cancer survival rates with the new American Joint Committee on Cancer sixth edition staging,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 96, no. 19, pp. 1420–1425, 2004.
- H. Bang, “Medical cost analysis: application to colorectal cancer data from the SEER Medicare database,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 586–597, 2005.