- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 5 (2008), Issue 1, Pages 37-40
Humor and Laughter May Influence Health: III. Laughter and Health Outcomes
1Indiana State University College of Nursing, 749 Chestnut Street, Terre Haute, IN 47809, USA
2University of South Florida, USA
Received 23 January 2007; Accepted 16 February 2007
Copyright © 2008 Mary Payne Bennett and Cecile Lengacher. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [34 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Jeannette Y. Wick, and Guido R. Zanni, “Humor and the Older Adult,” The Consultant Pharmacist, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 909–912, 2009.
- Tracy Tan, and Margaret A. Schneider, “Humor as a Coping Strategy for Adult-Child Caregivers of Individuals with Alzheimer's Disease,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 397–408, 2009.
- Mary Payne Bennett, and Cecile Lengacher, “Humor and Laughter May Influence Health IV. Humor and Immune Function,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 2009.
- Mahvash Shahidi, Ali Mojtahed, Amirhossein Modabbernia, Mohammad Mojtahed, Abdollah Shafiabady, Ali Delavar, and Habib Honari, “Laughter yoga versus group exercise program in elderly depressed women: a randomized controlled trial,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 322–327, 2010.
- Stephanie Maxine Ross, “Mild to Moderate Depression A Complementary and Integrative Therapies Approach,” Holistic Nursing Practice, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 303–309, 2010.
- Laura Vagnoli, Simona Caprilli, and Andrea Messeri, “Parental presence, clowns or sedative premedication to treat preoperative anxiety in children: what could be the most promising option?,” Pediatric Anesthesia, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 937–943, 2010.
- Michael A. Chiarello, “Humor as a Teaching Tool,” Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 34–41, 2010.
- Sean Phipps, Maru Barrera, Kathryn Vannatta, Xiaoping Xiong, John J. Doyle, and Melissa A. Alderfer, “Complementary therapies for children undergoing stem cell transplantation,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 16, pp. 3924–3933, 2010.
- Sara Costa Fernandes, and Patricia Arriaga, “The effects of clown intervention on worries and emotional responses in children undergoing surgery,” Journal Of Health Psychology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 405–415, 2010.
- Takuya Yamamuro, Kouji Senzaki, Satomi Iwamoto, Yoshimi Nakagawa, Takashi Hayashi, Miyo Hori, Shigeko Sakamoto, Kazuo Murakami, Takashi Shiga, and Osamu Urayama, “Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the rat hippocampus enhanced by tickling stimulation with positive emotion,” Neuroscience Research, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 285–289, 2010.
- Stephanie Maxine Ross, “Insomnia An Integrative Approach to Stress-Induced Insomnia,” Holistic Nursing Practice, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 266–269, 2011.
- Hye Sook Shin, Kyung Hee Ryu, and Young A Song, “Effects of Laughter Therapy on Postpartum Fatigue and Stress Responses of Postpartum Women,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 294, 2011.
- Jérôme Urbain, and Thierry Dutoit, “A phonetic analysis of natural laughter, for use in automatic laughter processing systems,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), vol. 6974, no. 1, pp. 397–406, 2011.
- Marc Gelkopf, “The Use of Humor in Serious Mental Illness: A Review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- Shauna Kingsnorth, Stefanie Blain, and Patricia McKeever, “Physiological and Emotional Responses of Disabled Children to Therapeutic Clowns: A Pilot Study,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, pp. 1–10, 2011.
- Mario Bertini, Elena Isola, Giuseppe Paolone, and Giuseppe Curcio, “Clowns Benefit Children Hospitalized for Respiratory Pathologies,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, pp. 1–9, 2011.
- Eriko Takimoto-Ohnishi, Junji Ohnishi, and Kazuo Murakami, “Mind–body medicine: Effect of the mind on gene expression,” Personalized Medicine Universe, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 2012.
- LaToya J. M. Harris, “Caring and Coping,” Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 446–454, 2013.
- Suleman Shahid, Emiel Krahmer, Mark Neerincx, and Marc Swerts, “Positive affective interactions: The role of repeated exposure and copresence,” IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 226–237, 2013.
- Claus Barkmann, Anna-Katharina Siem, Nino Wessolowski, and Michael Schulte-Markwort, “Clowning as a supportive measure in paediatrics - a survey of clowns, parents and nursing staff,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 166, 2013.
- Francesca Agostini, Fiorella Monti, Erica Neri, Sara Dellabartola, Leonardo de Pascalis, and Laura Bozicevic, “Parental anxiety and stress before pediatric anesthesia: A pilot study on the effectiveness of preoperative clown intervention,” Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 587–601, 2014.
- Wendy E. Barrington, Shirley A.A. Beresford, Bonnie A. McGregor, and Emily White, “Perceived Stress and Eating Behaviors by Sex, Obesity Status, and Stress Vulnerability: Findings from the Vitamins and Lifestyle (VITAL) Study,” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2014.
- J. Navarro, R. del Moral, M.F. Alonso, P. Loste, J. Garcia-Campayo, R. Lahoz-Beltra, and P.C. Marijuán, “Validation of laughter for Diagnosis and Evaluation of Depression,” Journal of Affective Disorders, 2014.
- Alberto Dionigi, Diego Sangiorgi, and Roberto Flangini, “Clown intervention to reduce preoperative anxiety in children and parents: A randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 369–380, 2014.
- Amanda J. Gordon, “Focusing on Positive Affect in Dance/Movement Therapy: A Qualitative Study,” American Journal of Dance Therapy, 2014.
- Kathleen Monahan, “An Interview with Dr. Cornelius Foley: Humor, Palliative Care and Hospice,” Social Work in Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 2014.
- Ulrich Rehmes, Daniel Kohle, and Christian Puta, “Laughing: A Demanding Exercise for Trunk Muscles,” Journal of Motor Behavior, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2014.
- O Bok Yun, Shin-Jeong Kim, and Dukyoo Jung, “Effects of a Clown–Nurse Educational Intervention on the Reduction of Postoperative Anxiety and Pain Among Preschool Children and Their Accompanying Parents in South Korea,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 2015.
- Sue Sherratt, and Nina Simmons-Mackie, “Shared humour in aphasia groups: “They should be called cheer groups”,” Aphasiology, pp. 1–19, 2015.
- Kyung Hee Ryu, Hye Sook Shin, and Eun Young Yang, “Effects of Laughter Therapy on Immune Responses in Postpartum Women,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2015.
- S. H. Kim, Y. H. Kim, and H. J. Kim, “Laughter and Stress Relief in Cancer Patients: A Pilot Study,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2015, pp. 1–6, 2015.
- Alison Phillips Sheesley, Mark Pfeffer, and Becca Barish, “Comedic Improv Therapy for the Treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder,” Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 157–169, 2016.
- Hannah Matthews, and Iain Williamson, “Caught between compassion and control: exploring the challenges associated with inpatient adolescent mental healthcare in an independent hospital,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, 2016.
- JongEun Yim, “Therapeutic Benefits of Laughter in Mental Health: A Theoretical Review,” The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 239, no. 3, pp. 243–249, 2016.