- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 7 (2010), Issue 4, Pages 409-418
Physiological Adjustments to Stress Measures Following Massage Therapy: A Review of the Literature
1Massage Therapy Foundation, Evanston, Illinois, USA
2University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, C288, Education 2 North 13120 east 19th Ave. Aurora, CO 80045, USA
3University of California at San Diego, School of Medicine, San Diego, California, USA
4University of Iowa, Community and Behavioral Health, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
5Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Received 7 September 2007; Accepted 4 April 2008
Copyright © 2010 Albert Moraska et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [20 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Y. Ariji, A. Katsumata, Y. Hiraiwa, M. Izumi, Y. Iida, M. Goto, S. Sakuma, N. Ogi, K. Kurita, and E. Ariji, “Use of sonographic elastography of the masseter muscles for optimizing massage pressure: a preliminary study,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 627–635, 2009.
- L. Lindgren, S. Rundgren, O. Winsö, S. Lehtipalo, U. Wiklund, M. Karlsson, H. Stenlund, C. Jacobsson, and C. Brulin, “Physiological responses to touch massage in healthy volunteers,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 158, no. 1-2, pp. 105–110, 2010.
- Mark Hyman Rapaport, Pamela Schettler, and Catherine Bresee, “A Preliminary Study of the Effects of a Single Session of Swedish Massage on Hypothalamic–Pituitary–Adrenal and Immune Function in Normal Individuals,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1079–1088, 2010.
- M.M. Salter, C.A. McCall, D.D. Pascoe, W.H. McElhenney, and C. Pascoe, “Effect of Equine Sports Massage Therapy on Cutaneous Temperature,” Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, vol. 31, no. 5-6, pp. 322–323, 2011.
- Albert Moraska, “Massage And Lactate Clearance,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 738, 2011.
- Gd Baxter, and Nm Albert, “Massage therapy after heart surgery: possibly pleasant, but not effective,” Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 76–77, 2011.
- Young-Hee Lee, Bit Na Ri Park, and Sung Hoon Kim, “The Effects of Heat and Massage Application on Autonomic Nervous System,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 982, 2011.
- Mateusz Romanowski, “Issues that Need to be Addressed in Massage Therapy,” Nursing and Midwifery Studies, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 109–10, 2012.
- William Collinge, Janet Kahn, and Robert Soltysik, “Promoting reintegration of national guard veterans and their partners using a self-directed program of integrative therapies: A pilot study,” Military Medicine, vol. 177, no. 12, pp. 1477–1485, 2012.
- Kang-Ming Chang, Shu-Yi Luo, Sih-Huei Chen, Tuan-Ping Wang, and Congo Tak-Shing Ching, “Body Massage Performance Investigation by Brain Activity Analysis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- Kavita D. Chandwani, Julie L. Ryan, Luke J. Peppone, Michelle M. Janelsins, Lisa K. Sprod, Katie Devine, Lara Trevino, Jennifer Gewandter, Gary R. Morrow, and Karen M. Mustian, “Cancer-Related Stress and Complementary and Alternative Medicine: A Review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, pp. 1–15, 2012.
- Lenita Lindgren, Stefan Lehtipalo, Ola Winsö, Marcus Karlsson, Urban Wiklund, and Christine Brulin, “Touch massage: a pilot study of a complex intervention,” Nursing in Critical Care, 2013.
- L. Andersson, Ö. Skogar, A. Borg, B. Larsson, L. Robertsson, L. Andersson, P. Backstrom, P.-A. Fall, G. Hallgren, B. Bringer, M. Carlsson, U. Lennartsson, H. Sandbjork, J. Lökk, and C.-J. Törnhage, ““Effects of Tactile Touch on pain, sleep and health related quality of life in Parkinson's disease with chronic pain”: A randomized, controlled and prospective study,” European Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 141–152, 2013.
- Andrea D. Clements, “Salivary cortisol measurement in developmental research: Where do we go from here?,” Developmental Psychobiology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 205–220, 2013.
- Orjan Skogar, Astrid Borg, Birgitta Larsson, Laila Robertsson, Lena Andersson, Lena Andersson, Paulina Backstrom, Per-Arne Fall, Gunnar Hallgren, Birgitta Bringer, Miriam Carlsson, Ulla Birgitta Lennartsson, Hakan Sandbjork, and Johan Lokk, “Short- and long-term effects of tactile massage on salivary cortisol concen trations in Parkinson's disease: a randomised controlled pilot study,” Bmc Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 13, 2013.
- Yuan Q. Pan, Ke H. Yang, Yu L. Wang, Lai P. Zhang, and Hai Q. Liang, “Massage interventions and treatment-related side effects of breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2013.
- Mohsen Adib-Hajbaghery, Rahman Rajabi-Beheshtabad, and Ali Abasi, “Effect of Whole Body Massage by Patient's Companion on the Level of Blood Cortisol in Coronary Patients,” Nursing and Midwifery Studies, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 10–5, 2013.
- Izreen Supa’at, Zaiton Zakaria, Oteh Maskon, Amilia Aminuddin, and Nor Anita Megat Mohd Nordin, “Effects of Swedish Massage Therapy on Blood Pressure, Heart Rate, and Inflammatory Markers in Hypertensive Women,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Matthew J. Rabito, and Alan David Kaye, “Complementary and Alternative Medicine and Cardiovascular Disease: An Evidence-Based Review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Christen K. Axelsson, Søren Ballegaard, Benny Karpatschof, and Peer Schousen, “Pressure pain sensitivity as a marker for stress and pressure pain sensitivity-guided stress management in women with primary breast cancer,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical & Laboratory Investigation, pp. 1–9, 2014.