- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 142739, 8 pages
Hepatoprotective Activity of Dried- and Fermented-Processed Virgin Coconut Oil
1Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
3Pharmacogenomics Center, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
4Biotechnology Research Centre, Malaysian Agriculture Research Institute, 50744 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 4 September 2010; Revised 17 December 2010; Accepted 25 December 2010
Copyright © 2011 Z. A. Zakaria et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. R. Opoku, I. M. Ndlovu, S. E. Terblanche, and A. H. Hutchings, “In vivo hepatoprotective effects of Rhoicissus tridentata subsp. cuneifolia, a traditional Zulu medicinal plant, against -induced acute liver injury in rats,” South African Journal of Botany, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 372–377, 2007.
- M. Ibrahim, M. N. Khaja, A. Aara et al., “Hepatoprotective activity of Sapindus mukorossi and Rheum emodi extracts: in vitro and in vivo studies,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 16, pp. 2566–2571, 2008.
- E. M. Arhoghro, K. E. Ekpo, E. O. Anosike, and G. O. Ibeh, “Effect of aqueous extract of bitter leaf (Vernonia Amygdalina Del) on carbon tetrachloride () induced liver damage in albino wistar rats,” European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 122–130, 2009.
- R. R. Chattopadhyay, “Possible mechanism of hepatoprotective activity of Azadirachta indica leaf extract: part II,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 89, no. 2-3, pp. 217–219, 2003.
- H. Öbek, S. Uǧraş, I. Bayram et al., “Hepatoprotective effect of Foeniculum vulgare essential oil: a carbon-tetrachloride induced liver fibrosis model in rats,” Scandinavian Journal of Laboratory Animal Science, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2004.
- P. Pramyothin, C. Ngamtin, S. Poungshompoo, and C. Chaichantipyuth, “Hepatoprotective activity of Phyllanthus amarus Schum. et. Thonn. extract in ethanol treated rats: in vitro and in vivo studies,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 169–173, 2007.
- P. Pramyothin, W. Udomuksorn, S. Poungshompoo, and C. Chaichantipyuth, “Hepatoprotective effect of Andrographis paniculata and its constituent, andrographolide, on ethanol hepatotoxicity in rats,” Asia Pacific Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 73–78, 1994.
- J. Jodynis-Liebert, I. Matławska, W. Bylka, and M. Murias, “Protective effect of Aquilegia vulgaris (L.) on APAP-induced oxidative stress in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 2005.
- B. Saraswat, P. K. S. Visen, G. K. Patnaik, and B. N. Dhawan, “Ex vivo and in vivo investigations of picroliv from Picrorhiza kurroa in an alcohol intoxication model in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 263–269, 1999.
- K. Flora, M. Hahn, H. Rosen, and K. Benner, “Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) for the therapy of liver disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 139–143, 1998.
- E. Sanmugapriya and S. Venkataraman, “Studies on hepatoprotective and antioxidant actions of Strychnos potatorum Linn. seeds on -induced acute hepatic injury in experimental rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 105, no. 1-2, pp. 154–160, 2006.
- V. Ravikumar, K. S. Shivashangari, and T. Devaki, “Hepatoprotective activity of Tridax procumbens against D-galactosamine/lipopolysaccharide-induced hepatitis in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 101, no. 1–3, pp. 55–60, 2006.
- D. K. Dash, V. C. Yeligar, S. S. Nayak, et al., “Evaluation of hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of Ichnocarpus frutescens (Linn.) R.Br. on paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 755–765, 2007.
- S. Sadasivan, P. G. Latha, J. M. Sasikumar, S. Rajashekaran, S. Shyamal, and V. J. Shine, “Hepatoprotective studies on Hedyotis corymbosa (L.) Lam,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 245–249, 2006.
- M. S. Valiathan, “Healing plants,” Current Science, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 1122–1127, 1998.
- B. Fife, The Healing Miracles of Coconut Oil, Healthwise, Colorado Springs, Colo, USA, 3rd edition, 2003.
- S. Santhosh, R. Anandan, T. K. Sini, P. T. Mathew, and T. K. Thankappan, “Biochemical studies on the antiulcer effect of glucosamine on antioxidant defense status in experimentally induced peptic ulcer in rats,” Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 61–66, 2005.
- G. Bergsson, J. Arnfinnsson, S. M. Karlsson, O. Steingri Msson, and H. Thormar, “In vitro inactivation of Chlamydia trachomatis by fatty acids and monoglycerides,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 2290–2294, 1998.
- J. B. German and C. J. Dillard, “Saturated fats: what dietary intake?” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 550–559, 2004.
- F. Van Immerseel, J. De Buck, F. Boyen et al., “Medium-chain fatty acids decrease colonization and invasion through hilA suppression shortly after infection of chickens with Salmonella enterica serovar enteritidis,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 3582–3587, 2004.
- K. G. Nevin and T. Rajamohan, “Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 830–835, 2004.
- C. C. Seow and C. N. Gwee, “Coconut milk: chemistry and technology,” International Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 189–201, 1997.
- Y. B. Che Man, M. I. B. Abdul Karim, and C. T. Teng, “Extraction of coconut oil with Lactobacillus plantarum 1041 IAM,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 1115–1119, 1997.
- M. Zimmermann, “Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals,” Pain, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–110, 1983.
- M. N. Somchit, A. Zuraini, A. Ahmad Bustaman, N. Somchit, M. R. Sulaiman, and R. Noratunlina, “Protective activity of turmeric (Curcuma longa) in paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 252–256, 2005.
- N. Somchit, C. W. Wong, A. Zuraini et al., “Involvement of phenobarbital and SKF 525A in the hepatotoxicity of antifungal drugs itraconazole and fluconazole in rats,” Drug and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 237–253, 2006.
- K. L. Melmon, H. F. Morrelli, B. B. Hoffman, and D. W. Nierenberg, Melmon and Morrelli’s Clinical Pharmacology: Basic Principles of Therapeutics, McGraw-Hill, London, UK, 3rd edition, 1992.
- E. Porchezhian and S. H. Ansari, “Hepatoprotective activity of Abutilon indicum on experimental liver damage in rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 12, no. 1-2, pp. 62–64, 2005.
- B. G. Katzung, Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 9th edition, 2004.
- M. A. Jafri, M. J. Subhani, K. Javed, and S. Singh, “Hepatoprotective activity of leaves of Cassia occidentalis against paracetamol and ethyl alcohol intoxication in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 355–361, 1999.
- L. S. Eriksson, U. Broome, M. Kalin, and M. Lindholm, “Hepatotoxicity due to repeated intake of low doses of paracetamol,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 231, no. 5, pp. 567–570, 1992.
- G. Kumar, G. S. Banu, P. V. Pappa, M. Sundararajan, and M. R. Pandian, “Hepatoprotective activity of Trianthema portulacastrum L. against paracetamol and thioacetamide intoxication in albino rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 2004.
- D. C. Dahlin, G. T. Miwa, A. Y. Lu, and S. D. Nelson, “N-acetyl-p-benzoquinone imine: a cytochrome P-450-mediated oxidation product of acetaminophen,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 1327–1331, 1984.
- E. Hazai, L. Vereczkey, and K. Monostory, “Reduction of toxic metabolite formation of acetaminophen,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 291, no. 4, pp. 1089–1094, 2002.
- B. K. Park, M. Pirmohamed, and N. R. Kitteringham, “Idiosyncratic drug reactions: a mechanistic evaluation of risk factors,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 377–395, 1992.
- S. U. Yanpallewar, S. Sen, S. Tapas, M. Kumar, S. S. Raju, and S. B. Acharya, “Effect of Azadirachta indica on paracetamol-induced hepatic damage in albino rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 391–396, 2002.
- S. Genet, R. K. Kale, and N. Z. Baquer, “Effects of free radicals on cytosolic creatine kinase activities and protection by antioxidant enzymes and sulfhydryl compounds,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 210, no. 1-2, pp. 23–28, 2000.
- A. Singh and S. S. Handa, “Hepatoprotective activity of Apium graveolens and Hygrophila auriculata against paracetamol and thioacetamide intoxication in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 119–126, 1995.
- M. B. Ahmed and M. R. Khater, “Evaluation of the protective potential of Ambrosia maritima extract on acetaminophen-induced liver damage,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 75, no. 2-3, pp. 169–174, 2001.
- R. A. Rasheed, B. H. Ali, and A. K. Bashir, “Effect of Teucrium stocksianum on paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in mice,” General Pharmacology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 297–301, 1995.
- N. Kaplowitz, “Drug-induced liver disorders: implications for drug development and regulation,” Drug Safety, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 483–490, 2001.
- R. A. Ansari, S. C. Tripathi, G. K. Patnaik, and B. N. Dhawan, “Antihepatotoxic properties of picroliv: an active fraction from rhizomes of Picrorhiza kurrooa,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 1991.
- T. P. A. Devasagayam and K. B. Sainis, “Immune system and antioxidants, especially those derived from Indian medicinal plants,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 639–655, 2002.
- S. Sellappan, C. C. Akoh, and G. Krewer, “Phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of Georgia-grown blueberries and blackberries,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 2432–2438, 2002.
- K. G. Nevin and T. Rajamohan, “Influence of virgin coconut oil on blood coagulation factors, lipid levels and LDL oxidation in cholesterol fed Sprague-Dawley rats,” European e-Journal of Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. e1–e8, 2008.
- K. G. Nevin and T. Rajamohan, “Virgin coconut oil supplemented diet increases the antioxidant status in rats,” Food Chemistry, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 260–266, 2006.
- A. M. Marina, Y. B. Che Man, S. A. H. Nazimah, and I. Amin, “Chemical properties of virgin coconut oil,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 301–307, 2009.
- Z. A. Zakaria, Z. Ahmad, M. N. Somchit et al., “Antihypercholesterolemia property and fatty acid composition of mardi-produced virgin coconut oils,” African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 636–644, 2010.
- M. Mujeeb, V. Aeri, P. Bagri, and S. Khan, “Hepatoprotective activity of the methanolic extract of Tylophora indica (Burm. f.) Merill. leaves,” International Journal of Green Pharmacy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 125–127, 2009.
- G. Ramellini and J. Meldolesi, “Liver protection by silymarin: in vitro effect on dissociated rat hepatocytes,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 69–73, 1976.
- W. G. Clark, D. Craig Brater, and A. R. Johnson, Eds., Goth's Medical Pharmacology, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 13th edition, 1992.
- A. G. Gilman, T. W. Rall, A. S. Nies, and P. Taylor, Eds., Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Pergamon, New York, NY, USA, 8th edition, 1990.
- A. K. Gupta, H. Chitme, S. K. Dass, and N. Misra, “Hepatoprotective activity of Rauwolfia serpentina rhizome in paracetamol intoxicated rats,” Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 431–437, 2010.
- C. S. Dayrit, Truth about Coconut Oil—The Drugstore in a Bottle, Anvil, Pasig City, Philippines, 1st edition, 2005.