- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 568148, 16 pages
Thujone-Rich Fraction of Thuja occidentalis Demonstrates Major Anti-Cancer Potentials: Evidences from In Vitro Studies on A375 Cells
1Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Kalyani, Kalyani 741235, India
2Boiron Laboratory, 20 rue de la Libération., Sainte-Foy-Les-Lyon (69110), France
Received 17 November 2009; Accepted 9 April 2010
Copyright © 2011 Raktim Biswas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. C. Chang, L. L. Song, E. J. Park et al., “Bioactive constituents of Thuja occidentalis,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1235–1238, 2000.
- British Herbal Pharmacopoeia, Thuja, British Herbal Medicine Association, West Yorks, UK, 1983.
- K. Shimada, “Contribution to anatomy of the central nervous system of the Japanese upon the vermal arbour vitae,” Okajimas Folia Anatomica Japonica, vol. 28, pp. 207–227, 1956.
- D. Baran, “Arbor vitae, a guarantee of health,” Revista Medico-Chirurgicala a Societatii de Medici si Naturalisti din Lasi, vol. 95, no. 3-4, pp. 347–349, 1991.
- “Thuja occidentalis,” 2010, http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Thuj.
- C. Bodinet and J. Freudenstein, “Effects of an orally applied aqueous-ethanolic extract of a mixture of Thujae occidentalis herba, Baptisiae tinctoriae radix, Echinaceae purpureae radix and Echinaceae pallidae radix on antibody response against sheep red blood cells in mice,” Planta Medica, vol. 65, pp. 695–699, 1999.
- E. S. Sunila and G. Kuttan, “Protective effect of Thuja occidentalis against radiation-induced toxicity in mice,” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 322–328, 2005.
- S. K. Dubey and A. Batra, “Role of Thuja occidentalis Linn. in prevention of congestive heart disease,” Journal of Pharmacy Research, vol. 2, pp. 651–654, 2009.
- T. Dimitroula, G. Konstantia, P. O. Loretta, K. B. Miroslawa, S. Caroline, and C. Ioanna, “Chemosystematic value of the essential oil composition of Thuja species cultivated in Poland- antimicrobial activity,” Molecules, vol. 14, pp. 4707–4715, 2009.
- EMEA—The European Agency for the Evaluation of MedicinalProducts, “Committee for Veterinary Medicinal Products—Thuja occidentalis,” Summary Report, Canary Wharf, London, UK, 1999.
- I. Witte, J. Berlin, V. Wray, W. Schubert, W. Kohl, G. Hofle, et al., “Mono-und diterpenes from cell cultures or Thuja occidenalis,” Planta Medica, vol. 49, pp. 216–221, 1983.
- B. Naser, C. Bodinet, M. Tegtmeier, and U. Lindequist, “Thuja occidentalis (Arbor vitae): a review of its pharmaceutical, pharmacological and clinical properties,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 69–78, 2005.
- W. Boerick, Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica, Sett, Dey & Co, Calcutta, India, 1976.
- E. S. Sunila and G. Kuttan, “A preliminary study on antimetastatic activity of Thuja occidentalis L. in mice model,” Immunopharmacology and Immunotoxicology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 269–280, 2006.
- S. K. Dubey and A. Batra, “Hepatoprotective activity from ethanol fraction of Thuja occidentalis Linn,” Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 32–35, 2008.
- S. K. Dubey and A. Batra, “Antioxidant activity of Thuja occidentalis linn,” Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, vol. 2, pp. 73–76, 2009.
- P. N. Verma and I. Vaid, Enclycopaedia of Homeopathic Pharmacopea, vol. 1, Jain Publisher, New Delhi, India, 2002.
- M. Tegtmeier and G. Harnischfeger, “Methods for the reduction of thujone content in pharmaceutical preparations of Artemisia, Salvia and Thuja,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 337–340, 1994.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- T. Hongo, Y. Mizuno, S. Haraguchi, and T. O. Yoshida, “A new anticancer drugs sensitivity test using the microplate culture and surviving tumor cell staining methods,” Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, vol. 13, pp. 247–254, 1986.
- Y.-M. Kim, R. V. Talanian, and T. R. Billiar, “Nitric oxide inhibits apoptosis by preventing increases in caspase-3- like activity via two distinct mechanisms,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 49, pp. 31138–31148, 1997.
- J. J. Cohen, “Apoptosis,” Immunology Today, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 126–130, 1993.
- J. Ratha, K. N. Majumder, S. K. Mandal, et al., “A sphingolipid rich lipid fraction isolated from attenuated donovani promastigote induces apoptosis in mouse and human melanoma cells in vitro,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 290, pp. 113–123, 2006.
- M.-J. Liu, P. Y.-K. Yue, Z. Wang, and R. N.-S. Wong, “Methyl protodioscin induces G2/M arrest and apoptosis in K562 cells with the hyperpolarization of mitochondria,” Cancer Letters, vol. 224, no. 2, pp. 229–241, 2005.
- R. Dhiman, M. Kathania, M. Raje, and S. Majumder, “Inhibition of bfl-1/A1 by siRNA inhibits mycobacterial growth in THF-1 cells by enhancing phagosomal acidification,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1780, pp. 733–742, 2008.
- N. Morley, A. Rapp, H. Dittmar et al., “UVA-induced apoptosis studied by the new apo/necro-Comet-assay which distinguishes viable, apoptotic and necrotic cells,” Mutagenesis, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 105–114, 2006.
- Y. Wang, L. Sun, C. Xia, L. Ye, and B. Wang, “P38MAPK regulates caspase-3 by binding to caspase-3 in nucleus of human hepatoma Bel-7402 cells during anti-Fas antibody and actinomyacin D-induced apoptosis,” Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, pp. 1–8, 2008.
- S. E. Yang, M. T. Hsieh, T. H. Tsai, and S. L. Hsu, “Effector mechanism of magnolol-induced apoptosisin human lung squamous carcinoma CH27 cells,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 138, pp. 193–201, 2003.
- WN Burnette, ““Western blotting”: electrophoretic transfer of proteins from sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gels to unmodified nitrocellulose and radiographic detection with antibody and radioiodinated protein A,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 112, pp. 195–203, 1981.
- T. Khomasurya, Characterization of the Essential Oil of Thuja occidentalisL. Leaves and Branches, National library of Canada, Ottawa, Canada, 1999.
- E. Ernst, M. H. Pittler, C. Stevenson, and A. R. White, The Desktop Guide to Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Mosby, Edinburgh, UK, 2001.
- L. T. Ng and S. J. Wu, “Antiproliferative activity of cinnamomum cassia constituents and effects of pifithrin-alpha on their apoptotic signaling pathways in Hep G2 Cells,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In press.
- Z. Tayarani-Najaran, S. A. Emami, J. Asili, A. Mirzaei, and S. H. Mousavi, “Analyzing cytotoxic and apoptogenic properties of Scutellaria litwinowii root extract on cancer cell lines,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In press.
- G. Wyatt, A. Sikorskii, C. E. Wills, and H. Su, “Complementary and alternative medicine use, spending, and quality of life in early stage breast cancer,” Nursing Research, vol. 59, pp. 58–66, 2010.
- T. Kono, N. Mamiya, N. Chisato, Y. Ebisawa, H. Yamazaki, J. Watari, et al., “Efficacy of Goshajinkigan for peripheral neurotoxicity of oxaliplatin in patients with advanced or recurrent colorectal cancer,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In press.
- E. Szliszka, Z. P. Czuba, J. Bronikowska, A. Mertas, A. Paradysz, and W. Krol, “Ethanolic extract of propolis augments TRAIL-induced apoptotic death in prostate cancer cells,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In press.
- A. Sikorskii, G. K. Wyatt, A. E. Siddiqi, and D. Tamkus, “Recruitment and early retention of women with advanced breast cancer in a complementary and alternative medicine trial,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In press.