- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 978253, 10 pages
Species Identification of Marine Fishes in China with DNA Barcoding
College of Fisheries and Life Science, Shanghai Ocean University, Shanghai 201306, China
Received 10 December 2010; Accepted 27 February 2011
Copyright © 2011 Junbin Zhang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. S. Rasmussen, M. T. Morrissey, and P. D. N. Hebert, “DNA barcoding of commercially important salmon and trout species (oncorhynchus and salmo ) from North America,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 18, pp. 8379–8385, 2009.
- B. C. Victor, R. Hanner, M. Shivji, J. Hyde, and C. Caldow, “Identification of the larval and juvenile stages of the Cubera Snapper, Lutjanus cyanoptems , using DNA barcoding,” Zootaxa, no. 2215, pp. 24–36, 2009.
- B. Patwardhan, D. Warude, P. Pushpangadan, and N. Bhatt, “Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine: a comparative overview,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 465–473, 2005.
- S. E. Bartlett and W. S. Davidson, “Identification of Thunnus tuna species by the polymerase chain reaction and direct sequence analysis of their mitochondrial cytochrome b genes,” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 48, pp. 309–317, 1991.
- A. Rocha-Olivares, “Multiplex haplotype-specific PCR: a new approach for species identification of the early life stages of rockfishes of the species-rich genus Sebastes Cuvier,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 279–290, 1998.
- A. J. Gharrett, A. K. Gray, and J. Heifetz, “Identification of rockfish (Sebastes spp.) by restriction site analysis of the mitochondrial ND-3/ND-4 and 12S/16S rRNA gene regions,” Fishery Bulletin, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 49–62, 2001.
- B. Horstkotte and H. Rehbein, “Fish species identification by means of restriction fragment length polymorphism and high-performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 2658–2666, 2003.
- C. J. Noell, S. Donnellan, R. Foster, and L. Haigh, “Molecular discrimination of garfish Hyporhamphus (Beloniformes) larvae in southern Australian waters,” Marine Biotechnology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 509–514, 2001.
- J. Zhang, L. Huang, and H. Huo, “Larval identification of Lutjanus Bloch in Nansha coral reefs by AFLP molecular method,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2004.
- G. Comi, L. Iacumin, K. Rantsiou, C. Cantoni, and L. Cocolin, “Molecular methods for the differentiation of species used in production of cod-fish can detect commercial frauds,” Food Control, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2005.
- P. D. N. Hebert, A. Cywinska, S. L. Ball, and J. R. DeWaard, “Biological identifications through DNA barcodes,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 270, no. 1512, pp. 313–321, 2003.
- P. D. N. Hebert, E. H. Penton, J. M. Burns, D. H. Janzen, and W. Hallwachs, “Ten species in one: DNA barcoding reveals cryptic species in the neotropical skipper butterfly Astraptes fulgerator,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 41, pp. 14812–14817, 2004.
- M. Hajibabaei, D. H. Janzen, J. M. Burns, W. Hallwachs, and P. D. N. Hebert, “DNA barcodes distinguish species of tropical Lepidoptera,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 968–971, 2006.
- D. M. Lambert, A. Baker, L. Huynen, O. Haddrath, P. D. N. Hebert, and C. D. Millar, “Is a large-scale DNA-based inventory of ancient life possible?” Journal of Heredity, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 279–284, 2005.
- M. H. Greenstone, D. L. Rowley, U. Heimbach, J. G. Lundgren, R. S. Pfannenstiel, and S. A. Rehner, “Barcoding generalist predators by polymerase chain reaction: carabids and spiders,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 3247–3266, 2005.
- R. D. Ward, T. S. Zemlak, B. H. Innes, P. R. Last, and P. D. N. Hebert, “DNA barcoding Australia's fish species,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 360, no. 1462, pp. 1847–1857, 2005.
- G. G. Pegg, B. Sinclair, L. Briskey, and W. J. Aspden, “MtDNA barcode identification of fish larvae in the southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia,” Scientia Marina, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 7–12, 2006.
- N. Hubert, R. Hanner, E. Holm et al., “Identifying Canadian freshwater fishes through DNA barcodes,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 6, article e2490, 2008.
- M. Vences, M. Thomas, R. M. Bonett, and D. R. Vieites, “Deciphering amphibian diversity through DNA barcoding: chances and challenges,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 360, no. 1462, pp. 1859–1868, 2005.
- M. Vences, M. Thomas, A. van der Meijden, Y. Chiari, and D. R. Vieites, “Comparative performance of the 16S rRNA gene in DNA barcoding of amphibians,” Frontiers in Zoology, vol. 2, article 5, 2005.
- M. Aliabadian, M. Kaboli, V. Nijman, and M. Vences, “Molecular identification of birds: performance of distance-based DNA barcoding in three genes to delimit parapatric species,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 1, article e4119, 2009.
- V. Nijman and M. Aliabadian, “Performance of distance-based DNA barcoding in the molecular identification of Primates,” Comptes Rendus—Biologies, vol. 333, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2010.
- S. J. Scheffer, M. L. Lewis, and R. C. Joshi, “DNA barcoding applied to invasive leafminers (Diptera: Agromyzidae) in the Philippines,” Annals of the Entomological Society of America, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 204–210, 2006.
- K. W. Will and D. Rubinoff, “Myth of the molecule: DNA barcodes for species cannot replace morphology for identification and classification,” Cladistics, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 47–55, 2004.
- R. DeSalle, M. G. Egan, and M. Siddall, “The unholy trinity: taxonomy, species delimitation and DNA barcoding,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 360, no. 1462, pp. 1905–1916, 2005.
- P. H. Barber, S. R. Palumbi, M. V. Erdmann, and M. K. Moosa, “Biogeography: a marine Wallace's line?” Nature, vol. 406, no. 6797, pp. 692–693, 2000.
- N. V. Ivanova, J. R. DeWaard, and P. D. N. Hebert, “An inexpensive, automation-friendly protocol for recovering high-quality DNA,” Molecular Ecology Notes, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 998–1002, 2006.
- N. V. Ivanova, T. S. Zemlak, R. H. Hanner, and P. D. N. Hebert, “Universal primer cocktails for fish DNA barcoding,” Molecular Ecology Notes, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 544–548, 2007.
- M. Kimura, “A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences,” Journal of Molecular Evolution, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 111–120, 1980.
- S. Kumar, K. Tamura, and M. Nei, “MEGA3: integrated software for molecular evolutionary genetics analysis and sequence alignment,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 150–163, 2004.
- J. W. Tuckey, Exploratory Data Analysis, Addison–Wesley, Boston, Mass, USA, 1977.
- J. J. Wiens, Phylogenetic Analysis of Morphological Data, Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- J. Köhler, K. Munn, A. Rüegg, A. Skusa, and B. Smith, “Quality control for terms and definitions in ontologies and taxonomies,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 7, article 212, 2006.
- M. Pfenninger, M. Cordellier, and B. Streit, “Comparing the efficacy of morphologic and DNA-based taxonomy in the freshwater gastropod genus Radix (Basommatophora, Pulmonata),” BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol. 6, article 100, 2006.
- D. J. Funk and K. E. Omland, “Species-level paraphyly and polyphyly: frequency, causes, and consequences, with insights from animal mitochondrial DNA,” Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, vol. 34, pp. 397–423, 2003.
- J. Arnold, “Cytonuclear disequilibria in hybrid zones,” Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, vol. 24, pp. 521–554, 1993.
- T. G. Barraclough and S. Nee, “Phylogenetics and speciation,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 391–399, 2001.
- P. Alexandrino, R. Faria, D. Linhares et al., “Interspecific differentiation and intraspecific substructure in two closely related clupeids with extensive hybridization, Alosa alosa and Alosa fallax,” Journal of Fish Biology, vol. 69, pp. 242–259, 2006.
- J. S. Nelson, R. J. Hoddell, L. M. Chou, W. K. Chan, and V. P. E. Phang, “Phylogeographic structure of false clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris, explained by sea level changes on the Sunda shelf,” Marine Biology, vol. 137, no. 4, pp. 727–736, 2000.
- S. F. Chenoweth and J. M. Hughes, “Genetic population structure of the catadromous perciform: Macquaria novemaculeata (Percichthyidae),” Journal of Fish Biology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 721–733, 1997.
- C. L. Dudgeon, N. Gust, and D. Blair, “No apparent genetic basis to demographic differences in scarid fishes across continental shelf of the great barrier reef,” Marine Biology, vol. 137, no. 5-6, pp. 1059–1066, 2000.
- G. Bernardi, S. J. Holbrook, and R. J. Schmitt, “Gene flow at three spatial scales in a coral reef fish, the three-spot dascyllus, Dascyllus trimaculatus,” Marine Biology, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 457–465, 2001.
- S. R. Palumbi, “Genetic divergence, reproductive isolation, and marine speciation,” Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, vol. 25, pp. 547–572, 1994.
- M. E. Hellberg, R. S. Burton, J. E. Neigel, and S. R. Palumbi, “Genetic assessment of connectivity among marine populations,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 273–290, 2002.
- T. Lefébure, C. J. Douady, M. Gouy, and J. Gibert, “Relationship between morphological taxonomy and molecular divergence within Crustacea: proposal of a molecular threshold to help species delimitation,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 435–447, 2006.
- M. C. Ebach and C. Holdrege, “DNA barcoding is no substitute for taxonomy,” Nature, vol. 434, no. 7034, p. 697, 2005.
- C. C. Nice and A. M. Shapiro, “Patterns of morphological, biochemical, and molecular evolution in the Oeneis chryxus complex (Lepidoptera: Satyridae): a test of historical biogeographical hypotheses,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 111–123, 2001.
- E. Zuckerkandl and L. Pauling, “Evolutionary divergence and convergence in proteins,” in Evolving Genes and Proteins, V. Bryson and H. J. Vogel, Eds., pp. 97–166, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1965.