- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 127373, 6 pages
Cytotoxicity, Antiproliferative Effects, and Apoptosis Induction of Methanolic Extract of Cynometra cauliflora Linn. Whole Fruit on Human Promyelocytic Leukemia HL-60 Cells
1Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin, Gang Badak Campus, 21300 Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia
2Department of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin, Gang Badak Campus, 21300 Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia
3Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin, Gang Badak Campus, 21300 Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia
Received 23 May 2012; Revised 25 August 2012; Accepted 10 September 2012
Academic Editor: Wagner Vilegas
Copyright © 2012 T-Johari S. A. Tajudin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. H. Burkill, A Dictionary of the Economic Products of the Malay Peninsula, vol. 1, Ministry of Agriculture, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 1966.
- M. Sedgley and J. A. Gardner, “International survey of underexploited tropical and subtropical perennials,” Acta Horticulturae, vol. 250, pp. 140–177, 1989.
- E. H. K. Ikram, K. H. Eng, A. M. M. Jalil et al., “Antioxidant capacity and total phenolic content of Malaysian underutilized fruits,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 388–393, 2009.
- M. M. Mackeen, A. M. Ali, S. H. El-Sharkawy et al., “Antimicrobial and cytotoxic properties of some Malaysian traditional vegetables (Ulam),” International Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 174–178, 1997.
- A. M. Ali, S. H. El-Sharkawy, J. A. Hamid, I. Nur-Hediani, and N. H. Lajis, “Antimicrobial activity of some Malaysian plants,” Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agriculture Science, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 49–52, 1995.
- A. M. Ali, M. M. Mackeen, and S. H. El-Sharkawy, “Antiviral and cytotoxic activities of some plants used in Malaysian indigenous medicine,” Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science, vol. 19, no. 2-3, pp. 129–136, 1996.
- L. Y. Mooi, A. M. Ali, A. B. Norhanom, K. M. Salleh, A. Murakami, and K. Koshimizu, “Anti-tumor promoting activity of some Malaysian traditional vegetables (ulam),” Natural Product Sciences, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 1999.
- M. Habsah, M. Amran, M. M. Mackeen et al., “Screening of Zingiberaceae extracts for antimicrobial and antioxidant activities,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 2000.
- A. Murakami, A. M. Ali, K. Mat-Salleh, K. Koshimizu, and H. Ohigashi, “Screening for the in vitro anti-tumor-promoting activities of edible plants from Malaysia,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2000.
- M. Hamid, S. P. M. Bohari, M. S. Bastami, A. M. Ali, N. M. Mustapha, and K. Shari, “Evaluation of the insulinotrophic activity of Malaysian traditional plants extract,” Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 201–204, 2008.
- R. Ahmad, A. M. Ali, D. A. Israf, N. H. Ismail, K. Shaari, and N. H. Lajis, “Antioxidant, radical-scavenging, anti-inflammatory, cytotoxic and antibacterial activities of methanolic extracts of some Hedyotis species,” Life Sciences, vol. 76, no. 17, pp. 1953–1964, 2005.
- N. H. Ismail, A. M. Ali, N. Aimi, M. Kitajima, H. Takayama, and N. H. Lajis, “Anthraquinones from Morinda elliptica,” Phytochemistry, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1723–1725, 1997.
- A. M. Ali, N. H. Ismail, M. M. Mackeen et al., “Antiviral, cyototoxic and antimicrobial activities of anthraquinones isolated from the roots of Morinda elliptica,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 298–301, 2000.
- N. B. Alitheen, A. A. Manaf, S. K. Yeap, M. Shuhaimi, L. Nordin, and A. R. Mashitoh, “Immunomodulatory effects of damnacanthal isolated from roots of Morinda elliptica,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 446–452, 2010.
- B. M. A. Noorjahan, A. M. Ali, S. K. Yeap, et al., “Cytotoxicity and immunomodulatory effects of damnacanthal and nordamnacanthal Isolated from roots of Morinda elliptica,” Journal of Agrobiotechnology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 2010.
- A. M. Ali, M. M. Mackeen, M. Hamid et al., “Cytotoxicity and cell death induced by goniothalamin,” Planta Medica, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 81–83, 1997.
- S. H. Inayat-Hussain, A. B. Osman, L. B. Din et al., “Caspases-3 and -7 are activated in goniothalamin-induced apoptosis in human Jurkat T-cells,” FEBS Letters, vol. 456, no. 3, pp. 379–383, 1999.
- L. Y. Mooi, N. A. Wahab, N. H. Lajis, and A. M. Ali, “Chemopreventive properties of phytosterols and maslinic acid extracted from Coleus tuberosus in inhibiting the expression of EBV early-antigen in Raji cells,” Chemistry and Biodiversity, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1267–1275, 2010.
- Y. Y. Kok, L. Y. Mooi, K. Ahmad et al., “Anti-tumour promoting activity and antioxidant properties of Girinimbine isolated from the stem bark of Murraya koenigii S,” Molecules, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 4651–4660, 2012.
- M. M. Mackeen, L. Y. Mooi, M. Amran, et al., “Noncytotoxic and antitumour-promoting activities of garcinia acid esters from Garcinia atroviridis Griff. ex T. Anders (Guttiferae),” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 829814, 5 pages, 2012.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- A. M. Ali, N. T. Umar, S. M. Mohamed et al., “Induction of apoptosis in leukaemic cells by goniothalamin,” Journal of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 227–235, 2001.
- S. H. Inayat-Hussain, A. B. Osman, L. B. Din, and N. Taniguchi, “Altholactone, a novel styryl-lactone induces apoptosis via oxidative stress in human HL-60 leukemia cells,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 153–159, 2002.
- I. S. Johnson, J. G. Armstrong, M. Gorman, and J. P. Burnett, “The vinca alkaloids: a new class of oncolytic agents,” Cancer Research, vol. 23, pp. 1390–1427, 1963.
- G. Cardinali, G. Cardinali, and M. A. Enein, “Studies on the antimitotic activity of leuroscristine (vincristine),” Blood, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 102–110, 1963.
- Z. Darzynkiewicz, G. Juan, X. Li, W. Gorczyca, T. Murakami, and F. Traganos, “Cytometry in cell necrobiology: analysis of apoptosis and accidental cell death (necrosis),” Cytometry, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 1997.
- J. C. Mills, N. L. Stone, and R. N. Pittman, “Extranuclear apoptosis: the role of the cytoplasm in the execution phase,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 703–707, 1999.
- S. M. Mohamed, A. M. Ali, M. Rahmani, C. Wiart, J. S. Dhaliwal, and K. Yusoff, “Apoptotic and necrotic cell death manifestations in leukemic cells treated with methylgerambullin a sulphone from Glycosmis calcicola (Rutaceae),” Journal of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 253–261, 2000.
- A. M. Alabsi, R. Ali, A. Ideris et al., “Anti-leukemic activity of newcastle disease virus strains AF2240 and V4-UPM in murine myelomonocytic leukemia in-vivo,” Leukemia Research, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 634–645, 2012.