- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 134512, 11 pages
Autophagy Inhibition Enhances Apoptosis Induced by Dioscin in Huh7 Cells
1School of Medical Laboratory and Biotechnology, Chung Shan Medical University, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
2Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
3Department of Medical Research, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
4Department of Biochemistry and Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Chung Shan Medical University, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
5Department of Internal Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
6Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
7Department of Clinical Laboratory, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Received 9 August 2012; Accepted 2 October 2012
Academic Editor: William CS Cho
Copyright © 2012 Ming-Ju Hsieh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Ivanov, M. W. Roomi, T. Kalinovsky, A. Niedzwiecki, and M. Rath, “Anti-atherogenic effects of a mixture of ascorbic acid, lysine, proline, arginine, cysteine, and green tea phenolics in human aortic smooth muscle cells,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 140–145, 2007.
- A. B. da Rocha, R. M. Lopes, and G. Schwartsmann, “Natural products in anticancer therapy,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 364–369, 2001.
- C. W. Chua and S. P. Choo, “Targeted therapy in hepatocellular carcinoma,” International Journal of Hepatology, vol. 2011, Article ID 348297, 11 pages, 2011.
- M. L. Ho, Y. S. Hsieh, J. Y. Chen et al., “Antimetastatic potentials of Dioscorea nipponica on melanoma in vitro and in vivo,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 507920, 13 pages, 2011.
- S. H. Du, W. Y. Liu, T. J. Fu, B. G. Li, and C. D. Xia, “Isolation and identification of steroidal saponins in total saponin from Dioscorea nipponica Makino,” Yaoxue Xuebao, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 267–270, 2002.
- Y. Zhang, H. Z. Li, Y. J. Zhang et al., “Atropurosides A-G, new steroidal saponins from Smilacina atropurpurea,” Steroids, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 712–719, 2006.
- V. T. B. Nguyen, N. Darbour, C. Bayet et al., “Selective modulation of P-glycoprotein activity by steroidal saponines from Paris polyphylla,” Fitoterapia, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 2009.
- T. Wang, Z. Liu, J. Li et al., “Determination of protodioscin in rat plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 848, no. 2, pp. 363–368, 2007.
- Y. Wang, H. C. Yim, Z. Yang, J. F. Chiu, C. M. Che, and Q. Y. He, “Proteomic approach to study the cytotoxicity of dioscin (saponin),” Proteomics, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 2422–2432, 2006.
- J. Cai, M. Liu, Z. Wang, and Y. Ju, “Apoptosis induced by Dioscin in Hela cells,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 193–196, 2002.
- Y. Wang, C. M. Che, J. F. Chiu, and Q. Y. He, “Dioscin (saponin)-induced generation of reactive oxygen species through mitochondria dysfunction: a proteomic-based study,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4703–4710, 2007.
- B. T. Sun, L. H. Zheng, Y. L. Bao et al., “Reversal effect of Dioscin on multidrug resistance in human hepatoma HepG2/adriamycin cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 654, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 2011.
- Z. Liu and M. J. Lenardo, “Reactive oxygen species regulate autophagy through redox-sensitive proteases,” Developmental Cell, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 484–485, 2007.
- D. Gozuacik and A. Kimchi, “Autophagy and cell death,” Current Topics in Developmental Biology, vol. 78, pp. 217–245, 2007.
- L. Yu, A. Alva, H. Su et al., “Regulation of an ATG7-beclin 1 program of autophaglic cell death by caspase-8,” Science, vol. 304, no. 5676, pp. 1500–1502, 2004.
- T. Kanzawa, Y. Kondo, H. Ito, S. Kondo, and I. Germano, “Induction of autophagic cell death in malignant glioma cells by arsenic trioxide,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 2103–2108, 2003.
- C. P. Chang, M. C. Yang, H. S. Liu, Y. S. Lin, and H. Y. Lei, “Concanavalin A induces autophagy in hepatoma cells and has a therapeutic effect in a murine in situ hepatoma model,” Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 286–296, 2007.
- M. Górka, W. M. Daniewski, B. Gajkowska, E. Łusakowska, M. M. Godlewski, and T. Motyl, “Autophagy is the dominant type of programmed cell death in breast cancer MCF-7 cells exposed to AGS 115 and EFDAC, new sesquiterpene analogs of paclitaxel,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 777–788, 2005.
- A. Kelekar, “Autophagy,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1066, pp. 259–271, 2005.
- I. V. Smirnova, D. C. Bittel, R. Ravindra, H. Jiang, and G. K. Andrews, “Zinc and cadmium can promote rapid nuclear translocation of metal response element-binding transcription factor-1,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 13, pp. 9377–9384, 2000.
- Y. R. Lee, H. Y. Lei, M. T. Liu et al., “Autophagic machinery activated by dengue virus enhances virus replication,” Virology, vol. 374, no. 2, pp. 240–248, 2008.
- L. Casciola-Rosen, A. Rosen, M. Petri, and M. Schlissel, “Surface blebs on apoptotic cells are sites of enhanced procoagulant activity: implications for coagulation events and antigenic spread in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1624–1629, 1996.
- C. Dong, R. J. Davis, and R. A. Flavell, “MAP kinases in the immune response,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 20, pp. 55–72, 2002.
- J. Matsukawa, A. Matsuzawa, K. Takeda, and H. Ichijo, “The ASK1-MAP kinase cascades in mammalian stress response,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 261–265, 2004.
- C. Kitanaka and Y. Kuchino, “Caspase-independent programmed cell death with necrotic morphology,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 508–515, 1999.
- H. W. Yim, H. S. Jong, T. Y. Kim et al., “Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibits novel ginseng metabolite-mediated apoptosis,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1952–1960, 2005.
- T. Shintani and D. J. Klionsky, “Autophagy in health and disease: a double-edged sword,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5698, pp. 990–995, 2004.
- Y. Kondo, T. Kanzawa, R. Sawaya, and S. Kondo, “The role of autophagy in cancer development and response to therapy,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 726–734, 2005.
- M. Høyer-Hansen and M. Jäättelä, “Autophagy: an emerging target for cancer therapy,” Autophagy, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 574–580, 2008.
- M. T. Rosenfeldt and K. M. Ryan, “The role of autophagy in tumour development and cancer therapy,” Expert Reviews in Molecular Medicine, vol. 11, article e36, 2009.
- A. Herman-Antosiewicz, D. E. Johnson, and S. V. Singh, “Sulforaphane causes autophagy to inhibit release of cytochrome c and apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 5828–5835, 2006.
- H. Ko, Y. J. Kim, J. S. Park, J. H. Park, and H. O. Yang, “Autophagy inhibition enhances apoptosis induced by ginsenoside Rkl in hepatocellular carcinoma cells,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 2183–2189, 2009.
- L. Longo, F. Platini, A. Scardino, O. Alabiso, G. Vasapollo, and L. Tessitore, “Autophagy inhibition enhances anthocyanin-induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 2476–2485, 2008.
- T. Kanzawa, I. M. Germano, T. Komata, H. Ito, Y. Kondo, and S. Kondo, “Role of autophagy in temozolomide-induced cytotoxicity for malignant glioma cells,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 448–457, 2004.
- M. C. Maiuri, L. Galluzzi, E. Morselli, O. Kepp, S. A. Malik, and G. Kroemer, “Autophagy regulation by p53,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 181–185, 2010.
- J. F. Lin, Y. C. Lin, Y. H. Lin et al., “Zoledronic acid induces autophagic cell death in human prostate cancer cells,” Journal of Urology, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 1490–1496, 2011.
- E. Tasdemir, M. C. Maiuri, L. Galluzzi et al., “Regulation of autophagy by cytoplasmic p53,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 676–687, 2008.
- D. Crighton, S. Wilkinson, J. O'Prey et al., “DRAM, a p53-induced modulator of autophagy, is critical for apoptosis,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 121–134, 2006.
- Z. Feng, H. Zhang, A. J. Levine, and S. Jin, “The coordinate regulation of the p53 and mTOR pathways in cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 23, pp. 8204–8209, 2005.
- I. K. Choi, Y. S. Cho, H. J. Jung, and H. J. Kwon, “Autophagonizer, a novel synthetic small molecule, induces autophagic cell death,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 393, no. 4, pp. 849–854, 2010.
- J. Y. U. Hung, Y. A. L. Hsu, C. T. Li et al., “6-shogaol, an active constituent of dietary ginger, induces autophagy by inhibiting the AKT/mTOR pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer A549 cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 20, pp. 9809–9816, 2009.
- J. C. Reed, “Apoptosis-targeted therapies for cancer,” Cancer Cell, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2003.
- J. Yu, S. Tiwari, P. Steiner, and L. Zhang, “Differential apoptotic response to the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib (VELCADE, PS-341) in bax-deficient and p21-deficient colon cancer cells,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 694–699, 2003.