- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 139045, 9 pages
Herbal Supplement Ameliorates Cardiac Hypertrophy in Rats with -Induced Liver Cirrhosis
1Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
2Department of Life Science, Tunghai University, Taichung 40704, Taiwan
3Emergency Department and Center of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Tungs’ Taichung MetroHarbor Hospital, Taichung 43503, Taiwan
4Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung 40201, Taiwan
5Department of Pathology, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua 50006, Taiwan
6Department of Nursing, MeiHo University, Pingtung 91202, Taiwan
7Division of Cardiology, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
8Graduate Institute of Chinese Medical Science, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
9Department of Healthcare Administration, Asia University, Taichung 41354, Taiwan
10Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Science, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
11Department of Biotechnology, Asia University, Taichung 41354, Taiwan
12Center for Molecular Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
13Graduate Institute of Cancer Biology, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
14Department of Health and Nutrition Biotechnology, Asia University, Taichung 41354, Taiwan
Received 31 May 2012; Revised 31 July 2012; Accepted 7 August 2012
Academic Editor: Y. Ohta
Copyright © 2012 Ping-Chun Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Theocharidou, A. Krag, F. Bendtsen, S. Moller, and A. K. Burroughs, “Cardiac dysfunction in cirrhosis—does adrenal function play a role? A hypothesis,” Liver International, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1327–1332, 2012.
- H. J. Kowalski and W. H. Abelmann, “The cardiac output at rest in Laennec's cirrhosis,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1025–1033, 1953.
- L. Gould, M. Shariff, M. Zahir, and M. Di Lieto, “Cardiac hemodynamics in alcoholic patients with chronic liver disease and a presystolic gallop,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 860–868, 1969.
- H. Kelbaek, J. Eriksen, I. Brynjolf, et al., “Cardiac performance in patients with asymptomatic alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 852–855, 1984.
- T. Timoh, M. A. Protano, G. Wagman, M. Bloom, and T. J. Vittorio, “A perspective on cirrhotic cardiomyopathy,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1649–1653, 2011.
- A. Helmy, R. Jalan, D. E. Newby, P. C. Hayes, and D. J. Webb, “Role of angiotensin II in regulation of basal and sympathetically stimulated vascular tone in early and advanced cirrhosis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 565–572, 2000.
- A. Rohini, N. Agrawal, C. N. Koyani, and R. Singh, “Molecular targets and regulators of cardiac hypertrophy,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 269–280, 2010.
- R. Skoumal, M. Tóth, R. Serpi et al., “Parthenolide inhibits STAT3 signaling and attenuates angiotensin II-induced left ventricular hypertrophy via modulation of fibroblast activity,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 634–641, 2011.
- H. Chung, D. P. Hong, H. J. Kim et al., “Differential gene expression profiles in the steatosis/fibrosis model of rat liver by chronic administration of carbon tetrachloride,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 208, no. 3, pp. 242–254, 2005.
- J. H. Zavecz and H. D. Battarbee, “The role of lipophilic bile acids in the development of cirrhotic cardiomyopathy,” Cardiovascular Toxicology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 117–129, 2010.
- G. Ceolotto, I. Papparella, A. Sticca et al., “An abnormal gene expression of the β-adrenergic system contributes to the pathogenesis of cardiomyopathy in cirrhotic rats,” Hepatology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1913–1923, 2008.
- A. Valenzuela and A. Garrido, “Biochemical bases of the pharmacological action of the flavonoid silymarin and of its structural isomer silibinin,” Biological Research, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 1994.
- J. Y. Liu, M. J. Lee, H. M. Chen et al., “Ocimum gratissimum aqueous extract protects H9c2 myocardiac cells from H2O2 -Induced cell apoptosis through Akt signalling,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 578060, 8 pages, 2011.
- H. M. Chen, M. J. Lee, C. Y. Kuo, P. L. Tsai, J. Y. Liu, and S. H. Kao, “Ocimum gratissimum aqueous extract induces apoptotic signalling in lung adenocarcinoma cell A549,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 739093, 7 pages, 2011.
- C. C. Chiu, C. Y. Huang, T. Y. Chen et al., “Beneficial effects of Ocimum gratissimum aqueous extract on rats with CCl4-induced acute liver injury,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 736752, 9 pages, 2012.
- P. Nangia-Makker, L. Tait, M. P. V. Shekhar et al., “Inhibition of breast tumor growth and angiogenesis by a medicinal herb: Ocimum gratissimum,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 884–894, 2007.
- N. K. Ayisi and C. Nyadedzor, “Comparative in vitro effects of AZT and extracts of Ocimum gratissimum, Ficus polita, Clausena anisata, Alchornea cordifolia, and Elaeophorbia drupifera against HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections,” Antiviral Research, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 2003.
- J. C. Aguiyi, C. I. Obi, S. S. Gang, and A. C. Igweh, “Hypoglycaemic activity of Ocimum gratissimum in rats,” Fitoterapia, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 444–446, 2000.
- C. K. Atal, M. L. Sharma, A. Kaul, and A. Khajuria, “Immunomodulating agents of plant origin. I. Preliminary screening,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 133–141, 1986.
- P. Chaturvedi, S. George, and A. John, “Preventive and protective effects of wild basil in ethanol-induced liver toxicity in rats,” British Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 10–12, 2007.
- S. George and P. Chaturvedi, “A comparative study of the antioxidant properties of two different species of ocimum of southern africa on alcohol-induced oxidative stress,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1154–1158, 2009.
- M. Mourelle, P. Muriel, L. Favari, and T. Franco, “Prevention of CCl4-induced liver cirrhosis by silymarin,” Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 183–191, 1989.
- R. Hernández-Muoz, M. Díaz-Muoz, J. A. Suárez-Cuenca et al., “Adenosine reverses a preestablished CCl4-induced micronodular cirrhosis through enhancing collagenolytic activity and stimulating hepatocyte cell proliferation in rats,” Hepatology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 677–687, 2001.
- P. Muriel and M. Mourelle, “Prevention by silymarin of membrane alterations in acute CCl4 liver damage,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 275–279, 1990.
- P. Muriel, T. Garciapina, V. Perez-Alvarez, and M. Mourelle, “Silymarin protects against paracetamol-induced lipid peroxidation and liver damage,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 439–442, 1992.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- T. Kanda and T. Takahashi, “Interleukin-6 and cardiovascular diseases,” Japanese Heart Journal, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 183–193, 2004.
- K. Kaneko, T. Kanda, T. Yokoyama et al., “Expression of interleukin-6 in the ventricles and coronary arteries of patients with myocardial infarction,” Research Communications in Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 1997.
- H. Hirota, K. Yoshida, T. Kishimoto, and T. Taga, “Continuous activation of gp130, a signal-transducing receptor component for interleukin 6-related cytokines, causes myocardial hypertrophy in mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 4862–4866, 1995.
- T. Hirano, “Interleukin 6 and its receptor: ten years later,” International Reviews of Immunology, vol. 16, no. 3-4, pp. 249–284, 1998.
- H. Kodama, K. Fukuda, J. Pan et al., “Leukemia inhibitory factor, a potent cardiac hypertrophic cytokine, activates the JAK/STAT pathway in rat cardiomyocytes,” Circulation Research, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 656–663, 1997.
- A. Ogata, N. Nishimoto, and K. Yoshizaki, “Advances in interleukin-6 therapy,” Rinsho Byori, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 321–326, 1999 (Japanese).
- R. L. Nicol, N. Frey, G. Pearson, M. Cobb, J. Richardson, and E. N. Olson, “Activated MEK5 induces serial assembly of sarcomeres and eccentric cardiac hypertrophy,” EMBO Journal, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 2757–2767, 2001.
- S. J. Cameron, S. Itoh, C. P. Baines et al., “Activation of big MAP kinase 1 (BMK1/ERK5) inhibits cardiac injury after myocardial ischemia and reperfusion,” FEBS Letters, vol. 566, no. 1–3, pp. 255–260, 2004.
- J. J. Jacoby, A. Kalinowski, M. G. Liu et al., “Cardiomyocyte-restricted knockout of STAT3 results in higher sensitivity to inflammation, cardiac fibrosis, and heart failure with advanced age,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 22, pp. 12929–12934, 2003.
- P. Fischer and D. Hilfiker-Kleiner, “Survival pathways in hypertrophy and heart failure: the gp130-STAT3 axis,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 279–297, 2007.
- K. Boengler, D. Hilfiker-Kleiner, H. Drexler, G. Heusch, and R. Schulz, “The myocardial JAK/STAT pathway: from protection to failure,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 172–185, 2008.
- W. Ai, Y. Zhang, Q. Z. Tang et al., “Silibinin attenuates cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis through blocking EGFR-dependent signaling,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 1111–1122, 2010.
- S. W. Kong, N. Bodyak, P. Yue et al., “Genetic expression profiles during physiological and pathological cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure in rats,” Physiological Genomics, vol. 21, pp. 34–42, 2005.
- J. R. McMullen and G. L. Jennings, “Differences between pathological and physiological cardiac hypertrophy: novel therapeutic strategies to treat heart failure,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 255–262, 2007.
- V. Beisvag, O. J. Kemi, I. Arbo et al., “Pathological and physiological hypertrophies are regulated by distinct gene programs,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 690–697, 2009.
- Y. J. Weng, W. W. Kuo, C. H. Kuo et al., “BNIP3 induces IL6 and calcineurin/NFAT3 hypertrophic-related pathways in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 345, no. 1-2, pp. 241–247, 2010.