- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 142941, 7 pages
Percutaneous Soft Tissue Release for Treating Chronic Recurrent Myofascial Pain Associated with Lateral Epicondylitis: 6 Case Studies
1Kuan-Ta Rehabilitation and Pain Clinic, Taichung 40652, Taiwan
2Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40447, Taiwan
3School of Chinese Medicine, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
4Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, China Medical University, Bei-Gang Hospital, Yun-Lin 65152, Taiwan
5Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, School of Medicine, College of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
6Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Yangming Branch, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei 11146, Taiwan
7Department of Physical Therapy and Assistive Technology, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
Received 10 October 2012; Accepted 14 November 2012
Academic Editor: Chang-Zern Hong
Copyright © 2012 Ming-Ta Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. G. Travell and D. G. Simons, Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual, vol. 1, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 1983.
- C. Z. Hong, “Research on myofascial pain syndrome,” Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 343–366, 2008.
- C. Z. Hong, “Muscle pain syndrome,” in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, R. L. Braddom, Ed., chapter 43, pp. 971–1001, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2011.
- D. G. Simons, J. G. Travell, and L. S. Simons, Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual, vol. 1, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- C. Z. Hong, “Current research on myofascial trigger points-pathophysiological studies,” Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain, vol. 7, no. 1-2, pp. 121–129, 1999.
- C. Z. Hong, “Myofascial pain therapy,” Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 37–43, 2004.
- C. Z. Hong and D. G. Simons, “Pathophysiologic and electrophysiologic mechanisms of myofascial trigger points,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 863–872, 1998.
- C. Z. Hong, “Myofascial trigger point injection,” Critical Review of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 5, pp. 203–217, 1993.
- C. Z. Hong, “Considerations and recommendations regarding myofascial trigger point injection,” Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 29–59, 1994.
- C. Z. Hong, “Treatment of myofascial pain syndrome,” Current Pain and Headache Reports, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 345–349, 2006.
- B. S. Kraushaar and R. P. Nirschl, “Tendinosis of the elbow (Tennis elbow): clinical features and findings of histological, immunohistochemical, and electron microscopy studies,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 259–278, 1999.
- S. Karkhanis, A. Frost, and N. Maffulli, “Operative management of tennis elbow: a quantitative review,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 171–188, 2008.
- D. Stasinopoulos and M. I. Johnson, “'Lateral elbow tendinopathy' is the most appropriate diagnostic term for the condition commonly referred-to as lateral epicondylitis,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1400–1402, 2006.
- R. W. Coonrad and W. R. Hooper, “Tennis elbow: its course, natural history, conservative and surgical management,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1177–1182, 1973.
- A. I. Froimson, “Treatment of tennis elbow with forearm support band,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 183–184, 1971.
- R. Price, H. Sinclair, I. Heinrich, and T. Gibson, “Local injection treatment of tennis elbow-hydrocortisone, triamcinolone and lignocaine compared,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 1991.
- H. Mullett, M. Sprague, G. Brown, and M. Hausman, “Arthroscopic treatment of lateral epicondylitis: clinical and cadaveric studies,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 439, pp. 123–128, 2005.
- S. H. Baumgard and D. R. Schwartz, “Percutaneous release of the epicondylar muscles for humeral epicondylitis,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 233–236, 1982.
- B. Yerger and T. Turner, “Percutaneous extensor tenotomy for chronic tennis elbow: an office procedure,” Orthopedics, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1261–1263, 1985.
- A. B. Grundberg and J. F. Dobson, “Percutaneous release of the common extensor origin for tennis elbow,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 376, pp. 137–140, 2000.
- P. D. Dunkow, M. Jatti, and B. N. Muddu, “A comparison of open and percutaneous techniques in the surgical treatment of tennis elbow,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 701–704, 2004.
- T. Kaleli, C. Ozturk, A. Temiz, and O. Tirelioglu, “Surgical treatment of tennis elbow: percutaneous release of the common extensor origin,” Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 131–133, 2004.
- S. Lakhey, M. Mansfield, R. L. Pradhan, K. P. Rijal, B. P. Pandey, and R. R. Manandhar, “Percutaneous extensor tenotomy for chronic tennis elbow using an 18G needle,” Kathmandu University Medical Journal, vol. 5, no. 20, pp. 446–448, 2007.
- L.-W Chou, M.-T. Lin, and C.-Z. Hong, “Técnica de punción seca para el control del dolor,” Rehabilitación Intervencionista—Fundamentos y Técnicas, chapter 4.1, pp. 161–166, 2012.
- C. Z. Hong, “Lidocaine injection versus dry needling to myofascial trigger point: the importance of the local twitch response,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 256–263, 1994.
- A. A. Fischer, “Pressure threshold meter: its use for quantification of tender spots,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 836–838, 1986.
- A. A. Fischer, “Pressure algometry over normal muscles. Standard values, validity and reproducibility of pressure threshold,” Pain, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 1987.
- P. Bajaj, P. Bajaj, T. Graven-Nielsen, and L. Arendt-Nielsen, “Trigger points in patients with lower limb osteoarthritis,” Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 17–33, 2001.
- T. C. Hsueh, S. Yu, T. S. Kuan, and C. Z. Hong, “Association of active myofascial trigger points and cervical disc lesions,” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 174–180, 1998.
- N. Bogduk and D. G. Simons, “Neck pain: joint pain or trigger points?” in Progress in Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain, H. Vaeroy and H. Mersky, Eds., vol. 6 of Pain Research and Clinical Management, chapter 20, pp. 267–273, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.
- C. Y. Hsieh and C. Z. Hong, “Effect of chiropractic manipulation on the pain threshold of myofascial trigger point,” in Proceedings of the 1990 International Conference of Spinal Manipulation, pp. 359–363, Los Angeles College of Chiropractic, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1990.
- C. T. Tsai, L. F. Hsieh, T. S. Kuan, M. J. Kao, and C. Z. Hong, “Injection in the cervical facet joint for shoulder pain with myofascial trigger points in the upper trapezius muscle,” Orthopedics, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 557–565, 2009.
- P. S. Lee, P. Lin, and L. F. Hsieh, “Facet injection to control the recurrent myofascial trigger points: a case report,” Journal of the Rehabilitation Medicine Association, vol. 26, pp. 41–45, 1998.
- C. Z. Hong, “Myofascial trigger points: pathophysiology and correlation with acupuncture points,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 2000.
- K. M. Khan, J. L. Cook, P. Kannus, N. Maffulli, and S. F. Bonar, “Time to abandon the “tendinitis” myth,” British Medical Journal, vol. 324, no. 7338, pp. 626–627, 2002.
- N. Maffulli, K. M. Khan, and G. Puddu, “Overuse tendon conditions: time to change a confusing terminology,” Arthroscopy, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 840–843, 1998.
- K. M. Khan, J. L. Cook, and N. Maffulli, “Tendinopathy in the active person: separating fact from fiction to improve clinical management,” American Journal of Medicine in Sports, vol. 2, pp. 89–99, 2000.
- V. Testa, G. Capasso, N. Maffulli, and G. Bifulco, “Ultrasound-guided percutaneous longitudinal tenotomy for the management of patellar tendinopathy,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1509–1515, 1999.
- V. Testa, G. Capasso, F. Benazzo, and N. Maffulli, “Management of achilles tendinopathy by ultrasound-guided percutaneous tenotomy,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 573–580, 2002.
- L. Willberg, K. Sunding, M. Forssblad, and H. Alfredson, “Ultrasound- and Doppler-guided arthroscopic shaving to treat Jumper's knee: a technical note,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1400–1403, 2007.
- R. P. Nirschl and F. A. Pettrone, “Tennis elbow. The surgical treatment of lateral epicondylitis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 832–839, 1979.
- J. Verhaar, G. Walenkamp, A. Kester, H. Van Mameren, and T. Van der Linden, “Lateral extensor release for tennis elbow. A prospective long-term follow-up study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 75, no. 7, pp. 1034–1043, 1993.
- S. B. Keizer, H. P. Rutten, P. Pilot, H. H. E. Morré, J. J. V. Os, and A. D. Verburg, “Botulinum toxin injection versus surgical treatment for tennis elbow: a randomized pilot study,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 401, pp. 125–131, 2002.
- J. M. McShane, L. N. Nazarian, and M. I. Harwood, “Sonographically guided percutaneous needle tenotomy for treatment of common extensor tendinosis in the elbow,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1281–1289, 2006.