- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 147031, 10 pages
Bioassay-Guided Isolation and HPLC Determination of Bioactive Compound That Relate to the Antiplatelet Activity (Adhesion, Secretion, and Aggregation) from Solanum lycopersicum
1Immunology and Haematology Laboratory, Immunohaematology and Clinical Biochemistry Department, Faculty of Health Sciences, Universidad de Talca, 3460000 Talca, Chile
2Centro de Estudios en Alimentos Procesados (CEAP), CONICYT-Regional, Gore Maule, R09I2001 Talca, Chile
3Synthesis Laboratory, Chemical Institute of Natural Resources, Universidad de Talca, 3460000 Talca, Chile
4Horticulture Department, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Universidad de Talca, 3460000 Talca, Chile
Received 5 September 2012; Accepted 8 October 2012
Academic Editor: Adair Roberto Soares Santos
Copyright © 2012 Eduardo Fuentes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Mackay and G. Mensah, The Atlas of Heart Disease and Stroke, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004.
- C. F. Jackson and N. K. Wenger, “Cardiovascular disease in the elderly,” Revista Española de Cardiología, vol. 64, pp. 697–712, 2011.
- K. S. Reddy and S. Yusuf, “Emerging epidemic of cardiovascular disease in developing countries,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 596–601, 1998.
- M. E. Marenberg, N. Risch, L. F. Berkman, B. Floderus, and U. De Faire, “Genetic susceptibility to death from coronary heart disease in a study of twins,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 330, no. 15, pp. 1041–1046, 1994.
- I. Palomo, C. Toro, and M. Alarcón, “The role of platelets in the pathophysiology of atherosclerosis (Review),” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 179–184, 2008.
- K. Nishijima, J. Kiryu, A. Tsujikawa et al., “Platelets adhering to the vascular wall mediate postischemic leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions in retinal microcirculation,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 977–984, 2004.
- M. Ishikawa, D. Cooper, T. V. Arumugam, J. H. Zhang, A. Nanda, and D. N. Granger, “Platelet-leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions after middle cerebral artery occlusion and reperfusion,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 907–915, 2004.
- S. M. Schoenwaelder, Y. Yuan, E. C. Josefsson et al., “Two distinct pathways regulate platelet phosphatidylserine exposure and procoagulant function,” Blood, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 663–666, 2009.
- J. E. Italiano Jr., J. L. Richardson, S. Patel-Hett et al., “Angiogenesis is regulated by a novel mechanism: pro- and antiangiogenic proteins are organized into separate platelet α granules and differentially released,” Blood, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 1227–1233, 2008.
- E. Fuentes, F. Fuentes, V. Andrés, et al., “Role of platelets as mediators that link inflammation and thrombosis in atherosclerosis,” Platelets. In press.
- Z. M. Ruggeri, “Mechanisms initiating platelet thrombus formation,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 611–616, 1997.
- R. Estruch, M. A. Martínez-González, D. Corella et al., “Effects of a Mediterranean-style diet on cardiovascular risk factors a randomized trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2006.
- T. A. Pearson, S. N. Blair, S. R. Daniels et al., “AHA guidelines for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and stroke: 2002 update: consensus panel guide to comprehensive risk reduction for adult patients without coronary or other atherosclerotic vascular diseases,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 388–391, 2002.
- I. Palomo, E. Leiva, and M. Vásquez, Dieta Mediterranea: Prevención de las Enfermedades Cardiovasculares, Universidad de Talca Press, Talca, Chile, 2007.
- V. Koleckar, E. Brojerova, Z. Rehakova et al., “In vitro antiplatelet activity of flavonoids from Leuzea carthamoides,” Drug and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 2008.
- A. N. Khan, I. Fatima, U. A. Khaliq et al., “Potent anti-platelet constituents from centaurea iberica,” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 2053–2064, 2011.
- I. Palomo, E. Fuentes, T. Padró, and L. Badimon, “Platelets and atherogenesis: platelet antiaggregating activity and endothelial protection from tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum L.),” Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine, vol. 3, pp. 577–584, 2012.
- S. M. Renaud and J. T. Luong-Van, “Seasonal variation in the chemical composition of tropical Australian marine macroalgae,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 18, no. 3–5, pp. 381–387, 2006.
- E. Fuentes, L. Astudillo, L. Guzmán, et al., “Antioxidant and antiplatelet activities in extracts from green and fully ripe tomato fruits (Solanum lycopersicum L.) and pomace from industrial tomato processing,” Blood Coagulation & Fibrinolysis. In press.
- X. F. Xue, J. H. Zhou, L. M. Wu, L. H. Fu, and J. Zhao, “HPLC determination of adenosine in royal jelly,” Food Chemistry, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 715–719, 2009.
- P. Molyneux, “The use of the stable free radical diphenylpicrylhydrazyl (DPPH) for estimating antioxidant activity,” Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 26, pp. 211–219, 2004.
- G. V. Born and M. J. Cross, “The aggregation of blood platelets,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 168, pp. 178–195, 1963.
- Z. Li, G. Zhang, G. C. Le Breton, X. Gao, A. B. Malik, and X. Du, “Two waves of platelet secretion induced by thromboxane A2 receptor and a critical role for phosphoinositide 3-kinases,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 33, pp. 30725–30731, 2003.
- C. G. Conant, M. A. Schwartz, T. Nevill, and C. Ionescu-Zanetti, “Platelet adhesion and aggregation under flow using microfluidic flow cells,” Journal of Visualized Experiments, no. 32, article 1644, 2009.
- Y. Dumas, M. Dadomo, G. Di Lucca, and P. Grolier, “Effects of environmental factors and agricultural techniques on antioxidant content of tomatoes,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 369–382, 2003.
- M. Gómez-Romero, A. Segura-Carretero, and A. Fernández-Gutiérrez, “Metabolite profiling and quantification of phenolic compounds in methanol extracts of tomato fruit,” Phytochemistry, vol. 71, no. 16, pp. 1848–1864, 2010.
- C. Demicheli, L. S. Santos, C. S. Ferreira et al., “Synthesis and characterization of Sb(V)-adenosine and Sb(V)-guanosine complexes in aqueous solution,” Inorganica Chimica Acta, vol. 359, no. 1, pp. 159–167, 2006.
- P. M. Kris-Etherton, K. D. Hecker, A. Bonanome et al., “Bioactive compounds in foods: their role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 113, supplement 9, pp. 71S–88S, 2002.
- C. Torres-Urrutia, L. Guzmán, G. Schmeda-Hirschmann et al., “Antiplatelet, anticoagulant, and fibrinolytic activity in vitro of extracts from selected fruits and vegetables,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 197–205, 2011.
- A. K. Dutta-Roy, L. Crosbie, and M. J. Gordon, “Effects of tomato extract on human platelet aggregation in vitro,” Platelets, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 218–227, 2001.
- J. Yamamoto, T. Taka, K. Yamada et al., “Tomatoes have natural anti-thrombotic effects,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 1031–1038, 2003.
- E. Fuentes, L. A. Astudillo, M. I. Gutierrez, et al., “Fractions of aqueous and methanolic extracts from tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) present platelet antiaggregant activity,” Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis, vol. 23, pp. 109–117, 2012.
- D. M. Barrett, C. Weakley, J. V. Diaz, and M. Watnik, “Qualitative and nutritional differences in processing tomatoes grown under commercial organic and conventional production systems,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. C441–C451, 2007.
- G. Anfossi, I. Russo, P. Massucco et al., “Adenosine increases human platelet levels of cGMP through nitric oxide—possible role in its antiaggregating effect,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 2002.
- A. Vallverdú-Queralt, A. Medina-Remón, I. Casals-Ribes, et al., “Effect of tomato industrial processing on phenolic profile and hydrophilic antioxidant capacity,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 47, pp. 154–160, 2012.
- A. Schieber, F. C. Stintzing, and R. Carle, “By-products of plant food processing as a source of functional compounds—recent developments,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 401–413, 2001.
- G. R. Takeoka, L. Dao, S. Flessa et al., “Processing effects on lycopene content and antioxidant activity of tomatoes,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 3713–3717, 2001.