- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 148413, 4 pages
Atherosclerosis: An Integrative East-West Medicine Perspective
Cardiovascular Diseases Center, Xiyuan Hospital, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100091, China
Received 16 October 2011; Accepted 24 January 2012
Academic Editor: Myeong Soo Lee
Copyright © 2012 Hao Xu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Dobos and I. Tao, “The model of Western integrative medicine: the role of Chinese medicine,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2011.
- N. Robinson, “Integrative medicine–traditional Chinese medicine, a model?” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 2011.
- H. Xu and K. J. Chen, “Integrating traditional medicine with biomedicine towards a patient-centered healthcare system,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 83–84, 2011.
- K. J. Chen, D. Z. Shi, H. Xu et al., “XS0601 reduces the incidence of restenosis: a prospective study of 335 patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention in China,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2006.
- Q. H. Shang, H. Xu, X. Y. Lu, C. Wen, D. Z. Shi, and K. J. Chen, “A multi-center randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of Xiongshao Capsule in preventing restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention: a subgroup analysis of senile patients,” Chinese journal of integrative medicine, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 669–674, 2011.
- Z. -y. Gao, H. Xu, D. -z. Shi, C. Wen, and B. -y. Liu, “Analysis on outcome of 5284 patients with coronary artery disease: the role of integrative medicine,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology. In press.
- Z. Lu, W. Kou, B. Du et al., “Effect of Xuezhikang, an extract from red yeast Chinese rice, on coronary events in a Chinese population with previous myocardial infarction,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 1689–1693, 2008.
- C. Wen and H. Xu, “The new strategy for modulating dyslipidemia: consideration from updated understanding on high-density lipoprotein,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 467–470, 2011.
- S. C. Smith, “Risk-reduction therapy: the challenge to change,” Circulation, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 2205–2211, 1996.
- J. E. Muller, G. H. Tofler, and P. H. Stone, “Circadian variation and triggers of onset of acute cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 733–743, 1989.
- C. R. Conti, “Updated pathophysiologic concepts in unstable coronary artery disease,” American Heart Journal, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. S12–S14, 2001.
- J. Dupuis, “Mechanisms of acute coronary syndromes and the potential role of statins,” Atherosclerosis Supplements, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2001.
- K. K. Koh, “Effects of statins on vascular wall: vasomotor function, inflammation, and plaque stability,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 648–657, 2000.
- P. W. Serruys, M. J. B. Kutryk, and A. T. L. Ong, “Coronary-artery stents,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 5, pp. 483–495, 2006.
- I. J. Kullo, W. D. Edwards, and R. S. Schwartz, “Vulnerable plaque: Pathobiology and clinical implications,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 129, no. 12, pp. 1050–1060, 1998.
- K. Ozer and M. Cilingiroglu, “Vulnerable plaque: Definition, detection, treatment, and future implications,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 121–126, 2005.
- D. Steinberg, L. Joseph, and J. L. Witztum, “Lipoproteins and atherogenesis. Current concepts,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 264, no. 23, pp. 3047–3052, 1990.
- R. Ross, “Atherosclerosis—an inflammatory disease,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 2, pp. 115–126, 1999.
- A. M. Wilson, M. C. Ryan, and A. J. Boyle, “The novel role of C-reactive protein in cardiovascular disease: Risk marker or pathogen,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 291–297, 2006.
- M. Naghavi, P. Libby, E. Falk et al., “From vulnerable plaque to vulnerable patient: a call for new definitions and risk assessment strategies: Part I,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 14, pp. 1664–1672, 2003.
- M. Naghavi, P. Libby, E. Falk et al., “From vulnerable plaque to vulnerable patient: a call for new definitions and risk assessment strategies: part II,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 15, pp. 1772–1778, 2003.
- C. Wen, H. Xu, Q. F. Huang, and K. J. Chen, “Effect of drugs for promoting blood circulation on blood lipids and inflammatory reaction of atherosclerotic plaques in ApoE gene deficiency mice,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 345–349, 2005.
- C. Wen, H. Xu, Q. F. Huang, and K. J. Chen, “Effects of herbs for promoting blood circulation and Xiongshao Capsule on collagen deposition and metabolism of atherosclerotic plaques in ApoE gene deficient mice,” Chinese Journal of Pathophysiology, vol. 21, no. 8, p. 1640, 2005.
- H. Xu, C. Wen, K. J. Chen, D. Z. Shi, and J. G. Liu, “Study on the effect of rhizoma Chuanxiong, radix paeoniae rubra and the compound of their active ingredients, Xiongshao Capsule, on stability of atherosclerotic plaque in ApoE(−/−) mice,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 513–518, 2007 (Chinese).
- H. Xu, D. Qu, F. Zheng, D. Z. Shi, and K. J. Chen, “Clinical manifestations of “blood-stasis and toxin” in patients with stable coronary heart disease,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 125–129, 2010 (Chinese).
- Y. Feng, H. Xu, D. Qu, F. Zheng, D.Z. Shi, and K.J. Chen, “Study on the tongue manifestations for the blood-stasis and toxin syndrome in the stable patients of coronary heart disease,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 333–338, 2011.
- K. J. Chen, D. Z. Shi, H. Xu, H. J. Yin, and J. C. Zhang, “The criterion of syndrome differentiation and quantification for stable coronary heart disease caused by etiological toxin of Chinese medicine,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 313–314, 2011.