- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 150839, 7 pages
One-Year Effectiveness of a 3-Week Balneotherapy Program for the Treatment of Overweight or Obesity
11 rue Guénégaud, Paris 75006, France
234 rue d’Eylau, Paris 75116, France
3Pôle Santé Publique, TIMC-IMAG UMR 5525, UJF-Grenoble 1 and CNRS, Themas, 38041 Grenoble, France
4Stat Process, 8 rue de Seine, 27940 Port Mort, France
5Université Paul Sabatier, 118 route de Narbonne, 31000 Toulouse, France
6Service de Pharmacologie, Université Bordeaux Ségalen, INSERM CIC-P 0005, 146 rue Léo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Received 23 October 2012; Accepted 28 November 2012
Academic Editor: MyeongSoo Lee
Copyright © 2012 Thierry Hanh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, “Obesity and overweight,” 2011, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/index.html.
- J. L. Kraschnewski, J. Boan, J. Esposito et al., “Long-term weight loss maintenance in the United States,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1644–1654, 2010.
- E. A. Finkelstein, I. C. Fiebelkorn, and G. Wang, “National medical spending attributable to overweight and obesity: how much, and who's paying?” Health Affairs, supplement, p. W3, 2003.
- T. A. Wadden, M. L. Butryn, and K. J. Byrne, “Efficacy of lifestyle modification for long-term weight control,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, supplement, pp. 151S–162S, 2004.
- T. A. Wadden, L. G. Womble, D. B. Sarwer, R. I. Berkowitz, V. L. Clark, and G. D. Foster, “Great expectations: I'm losing 25% of my weight no matter what you say,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1084–1089, 2003.
- C. Gutenbrunner, T. Bender, P. Cantista, and Z. Karagülle, “A proposal for a worldwide definition of health resort medicine, balneology, medical hydrology and climatology,” International Journal of Biometeorology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 495–507, 2010.
- A. Fioravanti, F. Iacoponi, B. Bellisai, L. Cantarini, and M. Galeazzi, “Short- and long-term effects of spa therapy in knee osteoarthritis,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 2010.
- R. Forestier, H. Desfour, J. M. Tessier et al., “Spa therapy in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a large randomised multicentre trial,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 660–665, 2010.
- K. Horvath, A. Kulisch, A. Nemeth, and T. Bender, “Evaluation of the effect of balneotherapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hands: a randomized controlled single-blind follow-up study,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 431–441, 2012.
- S. Biro, A. Masuda, T. Kihara, and C. Tei, “Clinical implications of thermal therapy in lifestyle-related diseases,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 228, no. 10, pp. 1245–1249, 2003.
- N. A. Enikeeva, L. S. Kitaiskaia, and M. V. Antoniuk, “Atherosclerosis: feasibility of non-pharmacological correction of some risk factors,” Klinicheskaia Meditsina, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 25–28, 1999.
- E. M. Ivanov and M. V. Antoniuk, “The potentials for the balneotherapy of obesity using arsenic-containing mineral water,” Voprosy Kurortologii, Fizioterapii, i Lechebnoĭ Fizicheskoĭ Kultury, no. 3, pp. 11–14, 1998.
- M. Olah, A. Koncz, J. Feher, J. Kalmanczhey, C. Olah, and G. Nagy, “The effect of balneotherapy on antioxidant, inflammatory, and metabolic indices in patients with cardiovascular risk factors (hypertension and obesity)—a randomised, controlled, follow-up study,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 793–801, 2011.
- M. J. Armstrong, T. A. Mottershead, P. E. Ronksley, R. J. Sigal, T. S. Campbell, and B. R. Hemmelgarn, “Motivational interviewing to improve weight loss in overweight and/or obese patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 709–723, 2011.
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, “Evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults—the evidence report. National Institutes of Health,” Obesity Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 51S–209S, 1998.
- S. Klein, L. E. Burke, G. A. Bray et al., “Clinical implications of obesity with specific focus on cardiovascular disease: a statement for professionals from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 18, pp. 2952–2967, 2004.
- L. P. Svetkey, V. J. Stevens, P. J. Brantley et al., “Comparison of strategies for sustaining weight loss: the weight loss maintenance randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 10, pp. 1139–1148, 2008.
- M. Zelen, “A new design for randomized clinical trials,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 300, no. 22, pp. 1242–1245, 1979.
- M. Zelen, “Randomized consent designs for clinical trials: an update,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 645–656, 1990.
- INPES, “La santé vient en mangeant,” 2002, http://www.inpes.sante.fr/CFESBases/catalogue/pdf/581.pdf.
- R. H. Dehejia and S. Wahba, “Propensity score-matching methods for nonexperimental causal studies,” Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 151–161, 2002.
- J. Adamson, S. Cockayne, S. Puffer, and D. J. Torgerson, “Review of randomised trials using the post-randomised consent (Zelen's) design,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 305–319, 2006.
- M. J. Franz, J. J. VanWormer, A. L. Crain et al., “Weight-loss outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of weight-loss clinical trials with a minimum 1-year follow-up,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 107, no. 10, pp. 1755–1767, 2007.
- S. A. Jebb, A. L. Ahern, A. D. Olson, L. M. Aston, C. Holzapfel, and J. Stoll, “Primary care referral to a commercial provider for weight loss treatment versus standard care: a randomised controlled trial,” Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9801, pp. 1485–1492, 2011.
- K. Jolly and P. Aveyard, “Provision of commercial weight management programmes,” Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9801, pp. 1444–1445, 2011.
- K. Jolly, A. Lewis, J. Beach, J. Denley, P. Adab, and J. J. Deeks, “Comparison of range of commercial or primary care led weight reduction programmes with minimal intervention control for weight loss in obesity: lighten Up randomised controlled trial,” British Medical Journal, vol. 343, Article ID d6500, 2011.
- G. D. Foster, T. A. Wadden, A. P. Makris et al., “Primary care physicians' attitudes about obesity and its treatment,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1168–1177, 2003.
- M. L. Dansinger, A. Tatsioni, J. B. Wong, M. Chung, and E. M. Balk, “Meta-analysis: the effect of dietary counseling for weight loss,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 2007.
- R. H. Eckel, “Clinical practice. Nonsurgical management of obesity in adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 18, pp. 1941–1950, 2008.
- D. B. Sarwer, A. V. S. Green, M. L. Vetter, and T. A. Wadden, “Behavior therapy for obesity: where are we now?” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 347–352, 2009.
- M. W. Turk, K. Yang, M. Hravnak, S. M. Sereika, L. J. Ewing, and L. E. Burke, “Randomized clinical trials of weight loss maintenance: a review,” Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 58–80, 2009.
- S. R. Smith, N. J. Weissman, C. M. Anderson et al., “Multicenter, placebo-controlled trial of lorcaserin for weight management,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 3, pp. 245–256, 2010.
- J. G. Kang and C. Y. Park, “Anti-obesity drugs: a review about their effects and safety,” Diabetes and Metabolism Journal, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 13–25, 2012.
- A. G. Tsai and T. A. Wadden, “Systematic review: an evaluation of major commercial weight loss programs in the United States,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 56–66, 2005.
- A. Fioravanti, L. Cantarini, M. R. Bacarelli, A. De Lalla, L. Ceccatelli, and P. Blardi, “Effects of Spa therapy on serum leptin and adiponectin levels in patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Rheumatology International, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 879–882, 2011.
- B. A. Henry and I. J. Clarke, “Adipose tissue hormones and the regulation of food intake,” Journal of Neuroendocrinology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 842–849, 2008.