- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 157652, 10 pages
Brazilian Green Propolis: Anti-Inflammatory Property by an Immunomodulatory Activity
1Department of Pathology, Laboratory of Immunophysiology, Biological and Health Sciences Center, Federal University of Maranhão (UFMA), 65085-580 São Luis, Brazil
2Apis Flora Industrial e Comercial Ltda, 14020-670 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
3Department of Science Physiology, Laboratory for Teaching and Research of Physiology, Federal University of Maranhão (UFMA), 65085-580 São Luis, Brazil
Received 6 August 2012; Accepted 20 November 2012
Academic Editor: Andrzej K. Kuropatnicki
Copyright © 2012 Joleen Lopes Machado et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. C. Marcucci, J. Rodriguez, F. Ferreres, V. Bankova, R. Groto, and S. Popov, “Chemical composition of Brazilian propolis from Sao Paulo State,” Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung C, vol. 3, no. 1-2, pp. 117–119, 1998.
- Y. K. Park, J. F. Paredes-Guzman, C. L. Aguiar, S. M. Alencar, and F. Y. Fujiwara, “Chemical constituents in Baccharis dracunculifolia as the main botanical origin of southeastern Brazilian propolis,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1100–1103, 2004.
- M. P. de Barros, J. P. B. Sousa, J. K. Bastos, and S. F. de Andrade, “Effect of Brazilian green propolis on experimental gastric ulcers in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 567–571, 2007.
- C. M. F. Reis, J. C. T. Carvalho, L. R. G. Caputo, et al., “Atividade antiinflamatória, antiúlcera gástrica e toxicidade subcrônica do extrato etanólico de própolis,” Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia, vol. 10, pp. 43–49, 2000.
- D. C. Tavares, G. R. Barcelos, L. F. Silva, C. C. Chacon Tonin, and J. K. Bastos, “Propolis-induced genotoxicity and antigenotoxicity in Chinese hamster ovary cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1154–1158, 2006.
- R. Jorge, N. A. J. C. Furtado, J. P. B. Sousa, et al., “Brazilian propolis: seasonal variation of the prenylated ρ-coumaric acids and antimicrobial activity,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 889–893, 2008.
- J. M. Sforcin, A. Fernandes, C. A. M. Lopes, V. Bankova, and S. R. C. Funari, “Seasonal effect on Brazilian propolis antibacterial activity,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 73, no. 1-2, pp. 243–249, 2000.
- J. M. Sforcin Jr., A. Fernandes, C. A. M. Lopes, S. R. C. Funari, and V. Bankova, “Seasonal effect of Brazilian propolis on Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis,” Journal of Venomous Animals Toxins, vol. 7, pp. 139–144, 2001.
- C. L. Orsatti, F. Missima, A. C. Pagliarone, et al., “Propolis immunomodulatory action in vivo on toll-like receptors 2 and 4 expression and on pro-inflammatory cytokines production in mice,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1141–1146, 2010.
- S. A. L. Moura, M. A. N. D. Ferreira, S. P. Andrade, M. L. C. Reis, M. L. Noviello, and D. C. Cara, “Brazilian green propolis inhibits inflammatory angiogenesis in a murine sponge model,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 182703, pp. 1–7, 2009.
- B. A. Rocha, M. R. Rodrigues, P. C. P. Bueno, et al., “Preparation and termal characterization of inclusion complex of Brazilian green propolis and hydroxypropryl-β-cyclodextrin,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 108, pp. 87–94, 2012.
- V. S. Bankova, S. L. de Castro, and M. C. Marcucci, “Propolis: recent advances in chemistry and plant origin,” Apidologie, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 3–15, 2000.
- A. G. Hegazi, F. K. A. E. Hady, and F. A. M. A. Allah, “Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of European propolis,” Zeitschriftfur Naturforschun, vol. 55, pp. 70–75, 2000.
- M. Shimazawa, S. Chikamatsu, N. Morimoto, S. Mishima, H. Nagai, and H. Hara, “Neuroprotection by Brazilian green propolis against in vitro and in vivo ischemic neuronal damage,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 201–207, 2005.
- A. H. Banskota, Y. Tezuka, and S. Kadota, “Recent progress in pharmacological research of propolis,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 561–571, 2001.
- N. Orsolic and I. Basic, “Immunomodulation by water-soluble derivative of propolis: a factor of antitumor reactivity,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 84, pp. 265–273, 2003.
- G. Fischer, S. O. Hübner, G. D. Vargas, and T. Vidor, “Imunomodulação pela própolis,” Arquivos do Instituto Biológico, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 247–253, 2008.
- F. Missima and J. M. Sforcin, “Green Brazilian propolis action on macrophages and lymphoid organs of chronically stressed mice,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 71–75, 2008.
- S. A. L. Moura, G. Negri, A. Salatino, L. D. C. Lima, L. P. A. Dourado, J. B. Mendes, et al., “Aqueous extract Brazilian propolis: primary components, evaluation of inflammation and wound healing by using subcutaneous implanted sponges,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 18, pp. 1–9, 2009.
- A. A. Berreta, “Processo de obtenção do extrato padronizado de própolis, extrato assim obtido, suas formulações, produtos e usos,” Revista de Propriedade Industrial, PI, 0405483-0. 01 dez, n0. 1778, 2005.
- U. V. C. de Andrade, W. Hartmann, S. Funayama, S. M. de Alencar, and M. L. Masson, “Propolis obtained by means of alkaline hydrolysis and action on Staphylococcus aureus,” Ars Veterinaria, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 151–154, 2009.
- J. P. B. Souza, L. A. Tacon, C. C. Correia, J. K. Bastos, and L. A. P. Freitas, “Spray-dried propolis extract, II: prenylated components of green propolis,” Pharmazie, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 488–493, 2007.
- K. F. Swingle and F. E. Shideman, “Phases of the inflammatory response to subcutaneous implantation of a cotton pellet and their modification by certain anti-inflammatory agents,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 226–234, 1972.
- M. C. G. Maciel, J. C. Farias, M. J. Maluf et al., “Syzygium jambolanum treatment improves survival in lethal sepsis induced in mice,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 8, article 57, 2008.
- J. Bortolatto, E. Borducchi, D. Rodriguez et al., “Toll-like receptor 4 agonists adsorbed to aluminium hydroxide adjuvant attenuate ovalbumin-specific allergic airway disease: role of MyD88 adaptor molecule and interleukin-12/interferon-γ axis,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1668–1679, 2008.
- T. Seche, F. R. Coelho, N. Noulin, A. L. Franco, V. Quesniaux, J. Lignon, et al., “Enhacement of methacoline-evoked tracheal contraction induced by bacterial lipopolysaccharides depends on epithelium and tumor necrosis factor,” Journal of Allergy, vol. 2012, 10 pages, 2012.
- T. Matsui, S. Ebuchi, T. Fujise et al., “Strong antihyperglycemic effects of water-soluble fraction of Brazilian propolis and its bioactive constituent, 3,4,5-tri-O-caffeoylquinic acid,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1797–1803, 2004.
- N. Ivanovska, H. Neychev, Z. Stefanova, V. Bankova, and S. Popov, “Influence of cinnamic acid on lymphocyte proliferation, cytokine release and Klebsiella infection in mice,” Apidologie, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 73–81, 1995.
- N. Orsolic, A. H. Knezevic, L. Sver, S. Terzic, and I. Basic, “Immunomodulatory and antimetastatic action of propolis and related polyphenolic compounds,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 94, pp. 307–315, 2004.
- M. P. D. Barros, M. Lemos, E. L. Maistro et al., “Evaluation of antiulcer activity of the main phenolic acids found in Brazilian green propolis,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 372–377, 2008.
- N. Paulino, S. R. L. Abreu, Y. Uto et al., “Anti-inflammatory effects of a bioavailable compound, Artepillin C, in Brazilian propolis,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 587, no. 1–3, pp. 296–301, 2008.
- B. H. Havsteen, “The biochemistry and medical significance of the flavonoids,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 96, no. 2-3, pp. 67–202, 2002.
- A. Sá-Nunes, L. H. Faccioli, and J. M. Sforcin, “Propolis: lymphocyte proliferation and IFN-γ production,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 2003.
- J. D. Kim, L. Liu, W. Guo, and M. Meydani, “Chemical structure of flavonols in relation to modulation of angiogenesis and immune-endothelial cell adhesion,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 165–176, 2006.
- A. A. Adeneye, O. P. Ajagbonna, T. I. Adeleke, and S. O. Bello, “Preliminary toxicity and phytochemical studies of the stem bark aqueous extract of Musangacecropioides in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 374–379, 2006.
- R. F. Henderson, “Use of bronchoalveolar lavage to detect respiratory tract toxicity of inhaled material,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 2005.
- K. F. Chung, “Cytokines in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 18, pp. 50S–59S, 2001.
- C. L. Orsatti, F. Missima, A. C. Pagliarone, and J. M. Sforcin, “Th1/Th2 cytokines' expression and production by propolis-treated mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 314–318, 2010.
- U. Bartram and C. P. Speer, “The role of transforming growth factor β in lung development and disease,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 754–765, 2004.
- T. Kishimoto, “Interleukin-6: discovery of a pleiotropic cytokine,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 8, supplement 2, pp. 1–6, 2006.
- A. M. Petersen and B. K. Pedersen, “The antiinflamatory effect of exercise,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 98, pp. 1154–1162, 2005.
- M. T. Khayyal, M. A. El-Ghazaly, A. S. El-Khatib et al., “A clinical pharmacological study of the potential beneficial effects of a propolis food product as an adjuvant in asthmatic patients,” Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 93–102, 2003.
- L. B. Sy, Y. L. Wu, B. L. Chiang, Y. H. Wang, and W. M. Wu, “Propolis extracts exhibit an immunoregulatory activity in an OVA-sensitized airway inflammatory animal model,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 6, pp. 1053–1060, 2006.
- M. O. Li, Y. Y. Wan, S. Sanjabi, A. K. L. Robertson, and R. A. Flavell, “Transforming growth factor-β regulation of immune responses,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 24, pp. 99–146, 2006.
- M. Saraiva and A. O'Garra, “The regulation of IL-10 production by immune cells,” Nature Review Immnunology, vol. 2010, pp. 170–181, 2010.