- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 165410, 7 pages
Effects of Yoga on Mental and Physical Health: A Short Summary of Reviews
1Department Quality of Life, Spirituality and Coping, Center of Integrative Medicine, Faculty of Health, Witten/Herdecke University, 58313 Herdecke, Germany
2Department of Internal and Complementary Medicine, Immanuel Hospital Berlin and Institute of Social Medicine, Epidemiology & Health Economics, Charité-University Medical Center, 14109 Berlin, Germany
3Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
4Director of Research, Patanjali Research Foundation, Haridwar 249405, India
5Group Health Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Received 4 May 2012; Revised 4 July 2012; Accepted 18 July 2012
Academic Editor: Vernon A. Barnes
Copyright © 2012 Arndt Büssing et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Kirkwood, H. Rampes, V. Tuffrey, J. Richardson, and K. Pilkington, “Yoga for anxiety: a systematic review of the research evidence,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 884–891, 2005.
- K. Yang, “A review of yoga programs for four leading risk factors of chronic diseases,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 487–491, 2007.
- S. B. S. Khalsa, “Yoga as a therapeutic intervention: a bibliometric analysis of published research studies,” Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 269–285, 2004.
- K. Pilkington, G. Kirkwood, H. Rampes, and J. Richardson, “Yoga for depression: the research evidence,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 89, no. 1-3, pp. 13–24, 2005.
- L. A. Uebelacker, G. Epstein-Lubow, B. A. Gaudiano, G. Tremont, C. L. Battle, and I. W. Miller, “Hatha yoga for depression: critical review of the evidence for efficacy, plausible mechanisms of action, and directions for future research,” Journal of Psychiatric Practice, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 22–33, 2010.
- R. P. Brown and P. L. Gerbarg, “Sudarshan Kriya Yogic breathing in the treatment of stress, anxiety, and depression: part II—clinical applications and guidelines,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 711–717, 2005.
- R. P. Brown and P. L. Gerbarg, “Sudarshan Kriya yogic breathing in the treatment of stress, anxiety, and depression: part I—neurophysiologic model,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 189–201, 2005.
- S. A. Saeed, D. J. Antonacci, and R. M. Bloch, “Exercise, yoga, and meditation for depressive and anxiety disorders,” American Family Physician, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 981–987, 2010.
- K. Boehm, T. Ostermann, S. Milazzo, and A. Büssing, “Effects of yoga interventions on fatigue: a meta-analysis,” in press.
- T. Krisanaprakornkit, W. Krisanaprakornkit, N. Piyavhatkul, and M. Laopaiboon, “Meditation therapy for anxiety disorders,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Article ID CD004998, 2006.
- C. S. Chong, M. Tsunaka, H. W. Tsang, E. P. Chan, and W. M. Cheung, “Effects of yoga on stress management in healthy adults: a systematic review,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 2011.
- S. Telles, N. Singh, and A. Balkrishna, “Managing mental health disorders resulting from trauma through yoga: a review,” Depression Research and Treatment, vol. 2012, Article ID 401513, 9 pages, 2012.
- K. P. Roland, J. M. Jakobi, and G. R. Jones, “Does yoga engender fitness in older adults? A critical review,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 62–79, 2011.
- K. E. Innes, C. Bourguignon, and A. G. Taylor, “Risk indices associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and possible protection with yoga: a systematic review,” Journal of the American Board of Family Practice, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 491–519, 2005.
- J. A. Raub, “Psychophysiologic effects of Hatha Yoga on musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary function: a literature review,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 797–812, 2002.
- K. E. Innes and H. K. Vincent, “The influence of yoga-based programs on risk profiles in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 469–486, 2007.
- B. Aljasir, M. Bryson, and B. Al-Shehri, “Yoga practice for the management of type II diabetes mellitus in adults: a systematic review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 399–408, 2010.
- M. S. Lee, J. I. Kim, J. Y. Ha, K. Boddy, and E. Ernst, “Yoga for menopausal symptoms: a systematic review,” Menopause, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 602–608, 2009.
- H. Cramer, R. Lauche, J. Langhorst, and G. Dobos, “Effectiveness of yoga for menopausal symptoms - a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In press.
- A. Büssing, T. Ostermann, R. Lüdtke, and A. Michalsen, “Effects of yoga interventions on pain and pain-associated disability: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Pain, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2012.
- P. Posadzki, E. Ernst, R. Terry, and M. S. Lee, “Is yoga effective for pain? A systematic review of randomized clinical trials,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 281–287, 2011.
- P. Posadzki and E. Ernst, “Yoga for low back pain: a systematic review of randomized clinical trials,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1257–1262, 2011.
- S. Haaz and S. J. Bartlett, “Yoga for arthritis: a scoping review,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 33–46, 2011.
- Z. Kelly, “Is yoga an effective treatment for low back pain: a research review,” International Journal of Yoga Therapy, vol. 19, pp. 103–112, 2009.
- J. E. Bower, A. Woolery, B. Sternlieb, and D. Garet, “Yoga for cancer patients and survivors,” Cancer Control, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 165–171, 2005.
- K. B. Smith and C. F. Pukall, “An evidence-based review of yoga as a complementary intervention for patients with cancer,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 465–475, 2009.
- J. Y. Tsauo, K. Y. Lin, Y. T. Hu, K. J. Chang, and H. F. Lin, “Effects of yoga on psychological health, quality of life, and physical health of patients with cancer: a meta-analysis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 659876, 12 pages, 2011.
- H. Cramer, S. Lange, P. Klose, A. Paul, and G. Dobos, “Can yoga improve fatigue in breast cancer patients? A systematic review,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 559–560, 2011.
- S. Ramaratnam and K. Sridharan, “Yoga for epilepsy,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Article ID CD001524, 2000.
- M. B. Ospina, K. Bond, M. Karkhaneh et al., “Meditation practices for health: state of the research,” Evidence Report/Technology Assessment, no. 155, 2007.
- P. J. Murthy, B. N. Gangadhar, N. Janakiramaiah, and D. K. Subbakrishna, “Normalization of P300 amplitude following treatment in dysthymia,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 740–743, 1997.
- D. S. Shannahoff-Khalsa, L. E. Ray, S. Levine, C. C. Gallen, B. J. Schwartz, and J. J. Sidorowich, “Randomized controlled trial of yogic meditation techniques for patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder,” CNS Spectrums, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 34–47, 1999.
- R. Lang, K. Dehof, K. A. Meurer, and W. Kaufmann, “Sympathetic activity and transcendental meditation,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 44, no. 1-2, pp. 117–135, 1979.
- K. N. Udupa, R. H. Singh, and R. M. Settiwar, “A comparative study on the effect of some individual yogic practices in normal persons,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 1066–1071, 1975.
- V. Singh, A. Wisniewski, J. Britton, and A. Tattersfield, “Effect of yoga breathing exercises (pranayama) on airway reactivity in subjects with asthma,” Lancet, vol. 335, no. 8702, pp. 1381–1383, 1990.
- K. J. Sherman, D. C. Cherkin, R. D. Wellman et al., “A randomized trial comparing yoga, stretching, and a self-care book for chronic low back pain,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 171, no. 22, pp. 2019–2026, 2011.
- H. E. Tilbrook, H. Cox, C. E. Hewitt et al., “Yoga for chronic low back pain: a randomized trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 155, no. 9, pp. 569–578, 2011.
- S. R. Jayasinghe, “Yoga in cardiac health (a review),” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 369–375, 2004.