- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 185167, 13 pages
The Inhibition of Spinal Astrocytic JAK2-STAT3 Pathway Activation Correlates with the Analgesic Effects of Triptolide in the Rat Neuropathic Pain Model
1Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology and K. K. Leung Brain Research Centre, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an 710032, China
2Department of Anesthesiology, School of Stomatology, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an 710032, China
3Department of Neurosurgery, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an 710038, China
Received 19 August 2012; Accepted 16 November 2012
Academic Editor: Mei Tian
Copyright © 2012 Jun Tang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Costigan, J. Scholz, and C. J. Woolf, “Neuropathic pain: a maladaptive response of the nervous system to damage,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 32, pp. 1–32, 2009.
- R. H. Dworkin, M. Backonja, M. C. Rowbotham et al., “Advances in neuropathic pain: diagnosis, mechanisms, and treatment recommendations,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1524–1534, 2003.
- Y. J. Gao and R. R. Ji, “Targeting astrocyte signaling for chronic pain,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 482–493, 2010.
- A. B. O'Connor and R. H. Dworkin, “Treatment of neuropathic pain: an overview of recent guidelines,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 10, supplement, pp. S22–S32, 2009.
- L. R. Watkins, D. Martin, P. Ulrich, K. J. Tracey, and S. F. Maier, “Evidence for the involvement of spinal cord glia in subcutaneous formalin induced hyperalgesia in the rat,” Pain, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 225–235, 1997.
- E. D. Milligan, C. Twining, M. Chacur et al., “Spinal glia and proinflammatory cytokines mediate mirror-image neuropathic pain in rats,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 1026–1040, 2003.
- A. Meunier, A. Mauborgne, J. Masson, J. Mallet, and M. Pohl, “Lentiviral-mediated targeted transgene expression in dorsal spinal cord glia: tool for the study of glial cell implication in mechanisms underlying chronic pain development,” The Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 148–159, 2008.
- L. R. Watkins, E. D. Milligan, and S. F. Maier, “Glial activation: a driving force for pathological pain,” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 450–455, 2001.
- R. D. Fields and B. Stevens-Graham, “Neuroscience: new insights into neuron-glia communication,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5593, pp. 556–562, 2002.
- Y. J. Gao and R. R. Ji, “Chemokines, neuronal-glial interactions, and central processing of neuropathic pain,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 56–68, 2010.
- M. Tsuda, S. Beggs, M. W. Salter, and K. Inoue, “Micro and intractable chronic pain,” Glia, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 2012.
- M. Zhuo, G. Wu, and L. J. Wu, “Neuronal and microglial mechanisms of neuropathic pain,” Molecular Brain, vol. 4, article 31, 2011.
- X. P. Mei, H. Zhang, W. Wang et al., “Inhibition of spinal astrocytic c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) activation correlates with the analgesic effects of ketamine in neuropathic pain,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 8, no. 1, article 6, 2011.
- X. P. Mei, W. Wang, C. Zhu et al., “Combining ketamine with astrocytic inhibitor as a potential analgesic strategy for neuropathic pain. Ketamine, astrocytic inhibitor and pain,” Molecular Pain, vol. 6, article 50, 2010.
- M. Tsuda, Y. Kohro, T. Yano et al., “JAK-STAT3 pathway regulates spinal astrocyte proliferation and neuropathic pain maintenance in rats,” Brain, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 1127–1139, 2011.
- J. E. Herrmann, T. Imura, B. Song et al., “STAT3 is a critical regulator of astrogliosis and scar formation after spinal cord injury,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 28, no. 28, pp. 7231–7243, 2008.
- E. Dominguez, A. Mauborgne, J. Mallet, M. Desclaux, and M. Pohl, “SOCS3-mediated blockade of JAK/STAT3 signaling pathway reveals its major contribution to spinal cord neuroinflammation and mechanical allodynia after peripheral nerve injury,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 30, no. 16, pp. 5754–5766, 2010.
- E. Dominguez, C. Rivat, B. Pommier, A. Mauborgne, and M. Pohl, “JAK/STAT3 pathway is activated in spinal cord microglia after peripheral nerve injury and contributes to neuropathic pain development in rat,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 50–60, 2008.
- S. E. Nicholson, D. de Souza, L. J. Fabri et al., “Suppressor of cytokine signaling-3 preferentially binds to the SHP-2-binding site on the shared cytokine receptor subunit gp130,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 6493–6498, 2000.
- L. Lu, F. Li, and X. Wang, “Novel anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective agents for Parkinson's disease,” CNS and Neurological Disorders—Drug Targets, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 232–240, 2010.
- F. Q. Li, X. Z. Lu, X. B. Liang et al., “Triptolide, a Chinese herbal extract, protects dopaminergic neurons from inflammation-mediated damage through inhibition of microglial activation,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 148, no. 1-2, pp. 24–31, 2004.
- R. Han, M. Rostami-Yazdi, S. Gerdes, and U. Mrowietz, “Triptolide in the treatment of psoriasis and other immune-mediated inflammatory diseases,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 424–436, 2012.
- J. Cibere, Z. Deng, Y. Lin et al., “A randomized double blind, placebo controlled trial of topical Tripterygium wilfordii in rheumatoid arthritis: reanalysis using logistic regression analysis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 465–467, 2003.
- Y. Gong, B. Xue, J. Jiao, L. Jing, and X. Wang, “Triptolide inhibits COX-2 expression and PGE2 release by suppressing the activity of NF-κB and JNK in LPS-treated microglia,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 779–788, 2008.
- B. Xue, J. Jiao, L. Zhang et al., “Triptolide upregulates NGF synthesis in rat astrocyte cultures,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1113–1119, 2007.
- Z. Su, Y. Yuan, L. Cao et al., “Triptolide promotes spinal cord repair by inhibiting astrogliosis and inflammation,” Glia, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 901–915, 2010.
- M. Zimmermann, “Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals,” Pain, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–110, 1983.
- W. Wang, X. P. Mei, Y. Y. Wei, et al., “Neuronal NR2B-containing NMDA receptor mediates spinal astrocytic c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation in a rat model of neuropathic pain,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1355–1366, 2011.
- R. V. Størkson, A. Kjørsvik, A. Tjølsen, and K. Hole, “Lumbar catheterization of the spinal subarachnoid space in the rat,” The Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 167–172, 1996.
- Q. Liu, T. Chen, G. Chen et al., “Triptolide impairs dendritic cell migration by inhibiting CCR7 and COX-2 expression through PI3-K/Akt and NF-κB pathways,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 2686–2696, 2007.
- R. J. Hamm, B. R. Pike, D. M. O'Dell, B. G. Lyeth, and L. W. Jenkins, “The rotarod test: an evaluation of its effectiveness in assessing motor deficits following traumatic brain injury,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 187–196, 1994.
- S. R. Chaplan, F. W. Bach, J. W. Pogrel, J. M. Chung, and T. L. Yaksh, “Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw,” The Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 1994.
- C. I. Svensson and E. Brodin, “Spinal astrocytes in pain processing: non-neuronal cells as therapeutic targets,” Molecular Interventions, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 25–38, 2010.
- V. Parpura, T. A. Basarsky, F. Liu, K. Jeftinija, S. Jeftinija, and P. G. Haydon, “Glutamate-mediated astrocyte-neuron signalling,” Nature, vol. 369, no. 6483, pp. 744–747, 1994.
- G. Perea and A. Araque, “Astrocytes potentiate transmitter release at single hippocampal synapses,” Science, vol. 317, no. 5841, pp. 1083–1086, 2007.
- R. Vallejo, D. M. Tilley, L. Vogel, and R. Benyamin, “The role of glia and the immune system in the development and maintenance of neuropathic pain,” Pain Practice, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 167–184, 2010.
- X. D. Pan, X. C. Chen, Y. G. Zhu et al., “Tripchlorolide protects neuronal cells from microglia-mediated β-amyloid neurotoxicity through inhibiting NF-κB and JNK signaling,” Glia, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1227–1238, 2009.
- H. F. Zhou, X. Y. Liu, D. B. Niu, F. Q. Li, Q. H. He, and X. M. Wang, “Triptolide protects dopaminergic neurons from inflammation-mediated damage induced by lipopolysaccharide intranigral injection,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 441–449, 2005.
- J. Jiao, B. Xue, L. Zhang et al., “Triptolide inhibits amyloid-β1-42-induced TNF-α and IL-1β production in cultured rat microglia,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 205, no. 1-2, pp. 32–36, 2008.
- F. He, W. Ge, K. Martinowich et al., “A positive autoregulatory loop of Jak-STAT signaling controls the onset of astrogliogenesis,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 616–625, 2005.
- C. L. Damiani and J. P. O'Callaghan, “Recapitulation of cell signaling events associated with astrogliosis using the brain slice preparation,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 720–726, 2007.
- K. Yamauchi, K. Osuka, M. Takayasu et al., “Activation of JAK/STAT signalling in neurons following spinal cord injury in mice,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1060–1070, 2006.
- R. Kacimi, R. G. Giffard, and M. A. Yenari, “Endotoxin-activated microglia injure brain derived endothelial cells via NF-κB, JAK-STAT and JNK stress kinase pathways,” Journal of Inflammation, vol. 8, article 7, 2011.
- S. Suzuki, K. Tanaka, S. Nogawa, T. Dembo, A. Kosakai, and Y. Fukuuchi, “Phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 (Stat3) after focal cerebral ischemia in rats,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 63–71, 2001.
- H. L. Lee, K. M. Lee, S. J. Son, S. H. Hwang, and H. J. Cho, “Temporal expression of cytokines and their receptors mRNAs in a neuropathic pain model,” NeuroReport, vol. 15, no. 18, pp. 2807–2811, 2004.
- G. Moalem and D. J. Tracey, “Immune and inflammatory mechanisms in neuropathic pain,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 240–264, 2006.
- A. Oprée and M. Kress, “Involvement of the proinflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor-α, IL-1β, and IL-6 but not IL-8 in the development of heat hyperalgesia: effects on heat-evoked calcitonin gene-related peptide release from rat skin,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 16, pp. 6289–6293, 2000.
- J. T. Liou, F. C. Liu, C. C. Mao, Y. S. Lai, and Y. J. Day, “Inflammation confers dual effects on nociceptive processing in chronic neuropathic pain model,” Anesthesiology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 660–672, 2011.
- M. H. Cha, T. S. Nam, Y. Kwak, H. Lee, and B. H. Lee, “Changes in cytokine expression after electroacupuncture in neuropathic rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 792765, 6 pages, 2012.
- J. A. DeLeo, R. W. Colburn, M. Nichols, and A. Malhotra, “Interleukin-6-mediated hyperalgesia/allodynia and increased spinal IL-6 expression in a rat mononeuropathy model,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 695–700, 1996.
- P. Dubový, I. Klusákov, I. Svíženská, and V. Brázda, “Satellite glial cells express IL-6 and corresponding signal-transducing receptors in the dorsal root ganglia of rat neuropathic pain model,” Neuron Glia Biology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 73–83, 2010.
- S. J. Geng, F. F. Liao, W. H. Dang et al., “Contribution of the spinal cord BDNF to the development of neuropathic pain by activation of the NR2B-containing NMDA receptors in rats with spinal nerve ligation,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 222, no. 2, pp. 256–266, 2010.
- C. I. Svensson, X. Y. Hua, H. C. Powell, J. Lai, F. Porreca, and T. L. Yaksh, “Prostaglandin E2 release evoked by intrathecal dynorphin is dependent on spinal p38 mitogen activated protein kinase,” Neuropeptides, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 485–494, 2005.
- W. Wang, W. Wang, X. Mei et al., “Crosstalk between spinal astrocytes and nuerons in nerve injury-injuced neuropathic pain,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 9, Article ID e6973, 2009.