- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 193496, 10 pages
Ethnobiology and Ethnopharmacology of Lepidium meyenii (Maca), a Plant from the Peruvian Highlands
Department of Biological and Physiological Sciences, Faculty of Sciences and Philosophy and High Altitude Research Institute, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Honorio Delgado 430, Lima 31, Peru
Received 24 June 2011; Revised 18 July 2011; Accepted 20 July 2011
Academic Editor: Ulysses Paulino De Albuquerque
Copyright © 2012 Gustavo F. Gonzales. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [14 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Yun-Yun Xue, Jie-Si Wang, Lu Zhao, Khalid Rahman, Qiao-Yan Zhang, Lu-Ping Qin, Min Jia, Yan Nie, and Da-Peng Cao, “Potential Antiosteoporotic Agents from Plants: A Comprehensive Review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, pp. 1–28, 2012.
- Gustavo F. Gonzales, Manuel Gasco, and Ivan Lozada-Requena, “Role of Maca (Lepidium meyenii) Consumption on Serum Interleukin-6 Levels and Health Status in Populations Living in the Peruvian Central Andes over 4000 m of Altitude,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 2013.
- David Campos, Rosana Chirinos, Omar Barreto, Giuliana Noratto, and Romina Pedreschi, “Optimized methodology for the simultaneous extraction of glucosinolates, phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity from maca (Lepidium meyenii),” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 49, pp. 747–754, 2013.
- Patricia L. Gerbarg, and Richard P. Brown, “Phytomedicines for Prevention and Treatment of Mental Health Disorders,” Psychiatric Clinics of North America, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 2013.
- Mohamed F. Elshal, Abdulrahman L. Almalki, K. Hussein Hussein, and Jalal A. Khan, “Synergistic Antiosteoporotic Effect Of Lepidium Sativum And Alendronate In Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteoporosis In Wistar Rats,” African Journal of Traditional Complementary and Alternative Medicines, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 267–273, 2013.
- Juana del Valle Mendoza, Tomàs Pumarola, Libertad Alzamora Gonzales, and Luis J. del Valle, “Antiviral activity of maca (Lepidium meyenii) against human influenza virus,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 7, pp. S415–S420, 2014.
- Zsanett Hajdu, Simon Nicolussi, Mark Rau, Laszlo Lorantfy, Peter Forgo, Judit Hohmann, Dezso Csupor, and Juerg Gertsch, “Identification of Endocannabinoid System-Modulating N-Alkylamides from Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra and Lepidium meyenii,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 1663–1669, 2014.
- Zhong Ai, Ai-Fang Cheng, Yuan-Tao Yu, Long-Jiang Yu, and Wenwen Jin, “ Antidepressant-Like Behavioral, Anatomical, and Biochemical Effects of Petroleum Ether Extract from Maca ( Lepidium meyenii ) in Mice Exposed to Chronic Unpredictable Mild Stress ,” Journal of Medicinal Food, pp. 140414120257003, 2014.
- Charles J. Glueck, Caitlin Richardson-Royer, Reiker Schultz, Tim Burger, Dedrick Bowe, Jagjit Padda, and Ping Wang, “Testosterone Therapy, Thrombophilia-Hypofibrinolysis, and Hospitalization for Deep Venous Thrombosis-Pulmonary Embolus: An Exploratory, Hypothesis-Generating Study,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis-Hemostasis, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 244–249, 2014.
- Fumiaki Uchiyama, Tamaki Jikyo, Ryosuke Takeda, and Misato Ogata, “Lepidium meyenii (Maca) enhances the serum levels of luteinising hormone in female rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 897–902, 2014.
- Nahid Jivad, and Zahra Rabiei, “A review study on medicinal plants used in the treatment of learning and memory impairments,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 780–789, 2014.
- Ornella Corazza, Giovanni Martinotti, Rita Santacroce, Eleonora Chillemi, Massimo Di Giannantonio, Fabrizio Schifano, and Selim Cellek, “Sexual Enhancement Products for Sale Online: Raising Awareness of the Psychoactive Effects of Yohimbine, Maca, Horny Goat Weed, and Ginkgo biloba,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–13, 2014.
- Ji Zhang, Han-Mo Wang, Yan-Li Zhao, Zhi-Tian Zuo, Yuan-Zhong Wang, and Hang Jin, “ Comparison of Mineral Element Content in a Functional Food Maca ( Lepidium meyenii Walp.) from Asia and South America ,” Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry, vol. 2015, pp. 1–4, 2015.
- Yu Pan, Ji Zhang, Hong Li, Yuan-Zhong Wang, and Wan-Yi Li, “Simultaneous Analysis of Macamides in Maca (Lepidium meyenii) with Different Drying Process by Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry,” Food Analytical Methods, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1686–1695, 2016.